How Much Speed Is Really Needed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

How Much Speed Is Really Needed

Post by CT.HNTR »

I am currently hunting whitetails with a Matrix 355 shooting 410 grain FMJ bolts that chronograph at 337 fps. The accuracy is great and I can hit a silver dollar all day long at 35 yards with a good rest. Out to 35 yards I am very comfortable with this set-up. I just picked up a new property to hunt next year and the way it lays out my shooting distances will most likely be in the 40 to 50 yard range. Because of the additional yardage I have been thinking about picking up a Bulldog 400 for hunting this property as I believe the additional 45 fps would have the benefit of a flatter trajectory and less time for the deer to jump the string. All else being equal does it make sense to want the additional speed at these distances or am I overthinking it?
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
Rather-B-Huntin

Re: How Much Speed Is Really Needed

Post by Rather-B-Huntin »

It can't hurt, but in my experience, not particularly necessary. You already know that you have pinpoint accuracy and you're comfortable with your existing set up. I wouldn't change, unless you just want a new bow. I've put several bolts through a Bulldog. It's an impressive performer, but I do not care for the stock design. You're crowded on the scope and are forced to hold far enough back on the stock that it feels very front heavy. I'd suggest a 380 if a performance gain is what you're after.
THE HUNTER'S ZONE
Best Deals on Excalibur Crossbows and Accessories in the Eastern USA!!! Check us out on Facebook!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I shot this bruiser of a buck @ 35 yards with my old Ibex shooting around 275 fps with the arrow I was using. So more speed is not really needed....

Jeff

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
CalhounWV

Post by CalhounWV »

More variables come at the additional yardage. IMO gaining a few more fps wont make much difference when you consider everything else that comes in to play.

Will it hurt, no. Is it a good excuse to get a new crossbow... Of Course!
Matrix Grizzly, diablo bolts w/luminated nock, 150 gr. BAT boltcutters.
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

My bow shoots basically same speed as yours and I don't feel comfortable shooting over 30 yds. After 30 yds your ranging better be very accurate because the arrow drop accelerates. Look at the arrow drop chart EXCALIBUR has under support:arrow performance. Not only does the faster bow offer more speed and flatter trajectory, the arrow is actually traveling less distance at 400 FPS than 340FPS since the arc is less.if I regularly expected to shoot deer at 40 to 50 yds or more I would want a bow that shot a 400 gr arrow 400FPS. Leaving an arrow in a deer takes a lot of fun out of hunting.
Norm
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

350gr arrows will get you 9/10's of where you want to be for price of a dozen. I myself have 2 380's and a BullDog on the way. My reason for the BullDog is to shoot heavier arrows in the 550 -600 grain area and not loose too much speed in the process. With my 410 grain arrows and the 380 I can shoot 3-4" groups at 90 yards on a calm still day off of a bench. Would I shoot a whitetail at that distance - NO. I might attempt to put a second arrow into a moose I had hit at 15yrds out in the 70-80-90 range if ever needed. My heavy arrow setup will be for moose and big hogs inside of 30yrds but I want to have the penetration needed if that perfect shot does not present itself and I need to reach vitals from another angle.
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Another way of looking at the advantages of speed is this. Where I hunt upnorth baiting is not legal. I primarily hunt the rut because that is my best chance to actually see some of the larger bucks. With that said it is not uncommon for me to have a buck that is chasing a doe around and therefore is changing his distance between himself and me far to fast to keep ranging. He may stop and present a shot 25 yds from me for a few seconds and be 30-35 yds away from me 5 seconds later and on and on. It happened to me several times last year.
So my point is I don't have a deer coming in to a known yardage such as a bait pile and standing there for any length of time I have to have a bow that shoots flat and will give me a one point aim between 10 -30 yds and a second point of aim 35-45yds. My 380 will do that for me and give me a fighting chance to make a good clean kill using just two crosshair's on my scope. A flat shooting bow in my opinion creates more opportunities for me to be successful hunting under the conditions I am forced to hunt under.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
gwhuntr

Post by gwhuntr »

I killed a 9 pt this season with my Ibex @ 45 yds.
466 gr arrow goin 267 fps.
GregO
>>>------->

Ibex
Ten Point Pro Elite Arrows
125 gr Magnus Stingers
Lumenoks
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Speed -FPS faster the better right ? Its very nice to have, you can play around wid diff weight arrow combo's. See how the arrow Trajectory is fer yer set-up. Its really jus what you want, its always a personal choice. I have had the two fastest Excals the 405 n 380. Now the fastest i own is a 355, no regrets. Someday i may actually getstid a 50 yd shot :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

vixenmaster wrote:Speed -FPS faster the better right ? Its very nice to have, you can play around wid diff weight arrow combo's. See how the arrow Trajectory is fer yer set-up. Its really jus what you want, its always a personal choice. I have had the two fastest Excals the 405 n 380. Now the fastest i own is a 355, no regrets. Someday i may actually getstid a 50 yd shot :)

Got see a Micro 355 yesterday at Bass Pro, wow is that small. If I ever get around to buying another Xbow, It'll be a Micro
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I agree with Jeff . Nice to have but don`t have to have it .
I have had passthroughs with my slow Wolverine doing maybe 250ish .
As Bill T. said to me one time . " It all comes down to how far do you want to put the arrow into the dirt on the other side " . :)
He harvested some of his biggest game with a exocet before the advent of the Matrix`s .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Normous

Post by Normous »

Man, I've loved EVERYONE of the Excalibur Xbows since my first one, I have assembled thousand of smiles since then.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

I shot an 8pt at 45 yards last yr with a carved tip exomag 185...mechanical broad head too. :D .........but your post gives me a new line to try on my wife.Great reason for a new bow! :mrgreen:
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Big John

Post by Big John »

I am trying to keep my Bows between 330 FPS and 380 FPS from now on. Having tried them all, with any speed between these numbers using a 400 gr. arrow, you are not going to have an issue with wind, bone, or accuracy out to 40 yds. You will still be able to shoot "much farther", and keep good accuracy, even kill , but, those same items mentioned above may impede you on a "clean kill" farther out than that.
IMO anyway. :wink:

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
diesel

Post by diesel »

CalhounWV wrote:More variables come at the additional yardage. IMO gaining a few more fps wont make much difference when you consider everything else that comes in to play.

Will it hurt, no. Is it a good excuse to get a new crossbow... Of Course!

X2
IMO you owe the animal a quick clean kill if I have a shot over 35 yards I pass
JMO