Hunting with night vision

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Troubleshooter

Hunting with night vision

Post by Troubleshooter »

Has someone of you hunted with a night vision scope / infra red?

What are your experiences with this? (all info about this is welcome)
Like: what was the range of clear visability, difficulties, what kind of scope, would you recommend this, etc, etc.

Thanks for your share of information!
dabluz

Re: Hunting with night vision

Post by dabluz »

Pretty sure that it's illegal. Anyway, it's illegal in my region.
Vortex
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

I can hunt most things at night except critters classified as "big game" (deer, elk, bear, lion, wolf, and antelope) everything else is fair game.

I don't have the money to buy a true NV rifle-scope so I use a light. I have a real nice Cyclops 250yard w/green and red bulbs that mounts right on my bow.

Works good with the TactZone because you can switch contrasting colors on your scope depending on if you are using red or green light...Green shines a lot farther

I have a fairly cheap handheld NV scope with a IR illuminator. The little hand held is awesome for viewing in complete darkness. And the IR iluminator will make predators eyes glow like flashlights out to about 100-150 yards...perfect for the crossbow. And since NV doesn't show light you can wait till things are perfect before you kick on the big scope light :twisted: :mrgreen:

Here is my setup pictured one very cold morning, at daylight after a long night...two coyotes just out of range came in this night.

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

You can get tactical scope mounts with picatinny rail tops and mount a laser light on top of your rings. The laser has turrets to center it with your scope crosshairs. I have it mounted on my M405 and it works great. As you mentioned, the green laser is better but the red laser doesn't leave a continuous beam. You do have to recheck the zero of your laser frequently though. I got green blob outdoors mounts and the laser is by vokul. I bought both on Amazon. They call the laser a laser scope.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.