Removable Stirrup????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

drkeenan

Removable Stirrup????

Post by drkeenan »

Read a bunch on this forum about how bulky/noisy a stirrup can be. Anyone ever looked into an easily removable one? The use case would be for hunting, not target shooting. I'm not a designer but I'm thinking it wouldn't be hard.

Pros
More compact in the woods.
Less noise.
Cons
Something else to carry/forget.

Thoughts??
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
Sparkey

Re: Removable Stirrup????

Post by Sparkey »

Removable ? not really but a folding stirrup maybe.....

I have a few ideas, but am struggling with how to implement in a way that affords safety and simplicity without adding an increase in weight to the front of the bow.

My issue is that the stirrup would/could not fold down until after the crossbow is cocked. A spring type mechanism similar to how folding table legs lock in place is my thought.

Would have to add a spring system that holds the legs against the rail. Would need a wrap or rubber bumper around the stirrup leg that rests against the rail to prevent vibration/

Basically, I am thinking out loud...... :lol:
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

I would think that just a length of climbing rope would serve nicely...if the factory stirrup bothered me??
Someone posted pictures of this a couple weeks ago using the large holes already in the riser and it looked pretty nice!.

The rope would surely be quiet, it would fold up, and it would always be there. :wink:
Last edited by MTBighorn on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

Mission crossbow has no stirrup and cocks better
Than you would think. Only problem mite be
The arrow out past the rail mission its in the rail. Dont think you need
The stirrup if useing the c2 crank
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

MTBighorn wrote:I would think that just a length of climbing rope would serve nicely...if the factory stirrup bothered me??
Someone posted pictures of this a couple weeks ago using the large holes already in the riser and it looked pretty nice!.

The rope would surely be quiet, it would fold up, and it would always be there. :wink:
I like this. Thanks
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
Treed-n-Caledon

Post by Treed-n-Caledon »

I like this idea. (Have played with noise reduction already)

Angled stirrup;
To get it out of the way we could have it made in two pieces joined with a brass bushing and fasteners that allowed for a few thou play, only, when snugged down. Smoothness with no lube required. Let’s say 1.5 inches out in the standard direction, and then the balance of the stirrup would be the jointed portion. If done right, the jointed portion could be kept down with one spring. (Model the fixed piece as a triangle) I'm not sure if I would be a fan of 90 degree angle, maybe something closer to 45 would could still be 'foot activated'.

Stirrup noise elimination; (first crack at the bat)
I already have attempted to tame the tuning fork....er....noise of the stirrup on the new BullDog. I used a 7"-8" length of weeping hose ($2 at Dollorama for a 6 foot hose). I held that in place over the stirrup with green braided 100 pound test fishing line. (We fish for shark on Vaca.) Next, I wrapped that hose in dark camo coloured 550 ParaCord using a 1/2 hitch, on the inside of the stirrup, every other revolution (for an uneven surface). Along the sides I simply wrapped without the 1/2 hitch so my boot will still have plenty of room. (I left about an inch of the hose/stirrup bare in the centre)

Lastly I used a heavy leather needle and the 100 pound braided line to stitch all four ends so that there is little or no chance of anything coming apart.

(It is now impossible for the stirrup make any sound even if I hit it with a 3” nail)
:mrgreen:
Last edited by Treed-n-Caledon on Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bull Dog 400 (hand modified rangefinder mount pending)
Grizzly 305
Lumenoks and heads of all sorts.

Caledon, Ontario, Canada.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I reckon dependin on the model you can rig a cord like i have done jus fer Huntin. I have my stirrup on durin year around practice
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I used a cord some on my Micro wid the C2 wasn't bad fer only a couple shots durin the Hunt.
Half Bubble Off BD360

CarlV

Post by CarlV »

Rope for a stirrup sounds interesting, but I got to wonder just how much quieter it is. Does the stirrup make all that much noise at the shot?

Thanks
If I can't modify it ... it isn't worth owning
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I reckon its a sound only you can deal wid, depends on how much noise i can listen to or not. Some of mine i don't take the stirrup off seems quiet enuff to me. Others sound like a gong when shot. Its jus a personal choice thing
Half Bubble Off BD360

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

vixmaster,

Do you remember the year (I think that it was 5 or 6) years ago that we had some pretty good discussions regarding folding and other stirrup options?

If this thread can be located, there were some pretty good and ingenious ideas.

Yup. I am not able to hunt much a'tall anymore. But, when I am able, I still hunt with my ol' deer hide Vixen I and no amount of money would buy it. What a sweet shooting little crossbow. In all these years, only one deer has ever been lost.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I get some time i will look fer it, bring it up fer others to read
Half Bubble Off BD360

ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Meat Hunter wrote:vixmaster,

Do you remember the year (I think that it was 5 or 6) years ago that we had some pretty good discussions regarding folding and other stirrup options?

If this thread can be located, there were some pretty good and ingenious ideas.

Yup. I am not able to hunt much a'tall anymore. But, when I am able, I still hunt with my ol' deer hide Vixen I and no amount of money would buy it. What a sweet shooting little crossbow. In all these years, only one deer has ever been lost.

Is this what you're looking for:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hilit=fold

or this:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... it=stirrup
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers