Unable to remove 3/32 screws for Trigger Tech upgrade.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

The Patriot

Unable to remove 3/32 screws for Trigger Tech upgrade.

Post by The Patriot »

I thought I would first attempt to remove the four (4) 3/32 screws on my Excalibur Matrix 380 before purchasing a Trigger Tech upgrade. At this point I have only attempted to remove one (1) of the screws but the screw will not break loose and I can tell that the allen head is going to strip if I continue. Any suggestions? I am very mechanical. Has anybody out there had the same trouble and if so what did you do? Thanks!
W.Miguire

Re: Unable to remove 3/32 screws for Trigger Tech upgrade.

Post by W.Miguire »

go to WYVERN Creations web site and he has a video on this subject. he shows how to cut a slot in the screws and removes them with a screw driver once you remove the front ones you can rock the scope mount and that will losen up the back ones . take your time and you will be ok.
W.M.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Try applying some heat directly to the allen head with a small torch lighter then give it a light tap and remove with a good fitting allen wrench. If the wrench end is slightly rounded then you could grind it down.

If that fails you may have to cut a slot into it and remove as mentioned above.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

One of the methods above will work. Mine were very difficult to remove as well. Consider replacing the Allen head screws/bolts with Torx screws. I ordered stainless Torx for mine and even with blue loc-tite they are much easier to remove. If you replace the screws make sure they are no longer than the factory originals as if they are longer they may prevent the ADF from functioning properly...Good luck.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you haven't stripped the socket, then use a magnetic bit, beat it in (like it owes you money) and then use a ratchet will lots of down pressure.
I showed that one to Danny Miller and he no longer has any problems.
You could, for added insurance, put your allen key into the socket and heat it cherry red, letting heat tranfer to the fastener in a minute or less.
If your socket is stripped, usually you can beat in a torx bit into the socket.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
SEC-ond 2 none

Post by SEC-ond 2 none »

Boo wrote:If you haven't stripped the socket, then use a magnetic bit, beat it in (like it owes you money) and then use a ratchet will lots of down pressure.
You could, for added insurance, put your allen key into the socket and heat it cherry red, letting heat tranfer to the fastener in a minute or less.

This works real well. I tried this (Boo Suggested to me) with no problems. I haven't had to use the method that Normous suggested but have used it on other projects, and it works. I replaced oem screws with Torx S.S. 5/16" screws.

Happy Trails
Stephen
Matrix 380
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

1/4 inch drive ratchet and a good allen bit with even down pressure. if youve already boogered it up you can sometimes use a torx bit a size bigger to tap into the boogered hole.i would use factory screws or at least the proper length. 5/16 is sometimes hard to find. you need the extra threads for engagement dont skimp and use 1/4 inch length screws.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Boo wrote:If you haven't stripped the socket, then use a magnetic bit, beat it in (like it owes you money) and then use a ratchet will lots of down pressure.
"(Like it owes you money)" :D how about (like it stole from you)? :twisted: I tried Boo's method and it worked on all but one screw which I had to slot with a dremal.
If I were to beat on someone who owed me money I'd have to set to beatin' on my son, daughter, one brother and a brother-in-law. Now I've beat a few who stole from me and even shot AT one who was trying to steal but never anyone who owed me money.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Possum wrote:
"(Like it owes you money)" :D how about (like it stole from you)? :twisted: I tried Boo's method and it worked on all but one screw which I had to slot with a dremal.
If I were to beat on someone who owed me money I'd have to set to beatin' on my son, daughter, one brother and a brother-in-law. Now I've beat a few who stole from me and even shot AT one who was trying to steal but never anyone who owed me money.
I like Boo's method very well..... Mostly cause I like beatin' on stuff! :lol: BFHs Rule! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Possum wrote:
I like Boo's method very well..... Mostly cause I like beatin' on stuff! :lol: BFHs Rule! :lol: :lol: :lol:
BFH? :lol: :lol: :lol: Are you sure you weren't an auto mechanic in your previous life?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

SEC-ond 2 none wrote:

This works real well. I tried this (Boo Suggested to me) with no problems. I haven't had to use the method that Normous suggested but have used it on other projects, and it works. I replaced oem screws with Torx S.S. 5/16" screws.

Happy Trails
Stephen
X3
Marcel
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel