Wobble in Spitfire points

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sproulman

Wobble in Spitfire points

Post by sproulman »

My points were made in 1996 [spitfire 100 gr]..I spun 3 of them on table and 2 wobble.Then took my Marble arrow spinner and saw wobble in same 2 that did it on table spin...

What can be done if anything?Took out the razor blades and still have wobble so it is in point no doubt about that...Funny I have 3 more from another pack and all are good only these 2 from 1 pack....I did not think they were that old the spitfires have been around a while...
hunter with MS

Re: Wobble in Spitfire points

Post by hunter with MS »

Have you tried taking them off and putting them back on as to adjusting them. I have had that problem a few times sometimes all it takes is a little adjusting . Try another arrow with the same blade could be the arrow I have had that happen it drove my crazy for awhile then I changed arrows and problem solved .
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

hunter with MS wrote:Have you tried taking them off and putting them back on as to adjusting them. I have had that problem a few times sometimes all it takes is a little adjusting . Try another arrow with the same blade could be the arrow I have had that happen it drove my crazy for awhile then I changed arrows and problem solved .
Those 2 do it on all my custom arrows other 1 no wobble.Then I took 3 others from another pack that I shot and no wobble..Some say to bend the points on table with them in arrow I think GT LASER has info on doing that...I thought I would post this for advice I remember BOO saying that some points are not perfect over years but getting better these points are about 20 years old never opened the pack..Funny when I let them loose they do not wobble only when they are tightened down on brass insert on those 2...Long ago they use to sell little rubber washers that you could adjust your heads if they wobbled we used those until we learned to heat the alum inserts with heads in and keep turning until point balanced..
Tom

Post by Tom »

sproulman wrote:...........Funny when I let them loose they do not wobble only when they are tightened down on brass insert on those 2...Long ago they use to sell little rubber washers that you could adjust your heads if they wobbled we used those until we learned to heat the alum inserts with heads in and keep turning until point balanced..
If there is no problem when it is loose, then I would suggest you check the back of the tip, where it butts up against the insert. Sometimes, over the years, extreme tightening can cause the back of the head to become scared or deformed slightly. Even a little dirt of grime can cause a problem.

Tom

PS .... if the head flies straight, a little wobble is not a problem.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
mingle

Post by mingle »

Tom wrote:
sproulman wrote:...........Funny when I let them loose they do not wobble only when they are tightened down on brass insert on those 2...Long ago they use to sell little rubber washers that you could adjust your heads if they wobbled we used those until we learned to heat the alum inserts with heads in and keep turning until point balanced..
If there is no problem when it is loose, then I would suggest you check the back of the tip, where it butts up against the insert. Sometimes, over the years, extreme tightening can cause the back of the head to become scared or deformed slightly. Even a little dirt of grime can cause a problem.
Try a o ring ..
Tom

PS .... if the head flies straight, a little wobble is not a problem.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

The front of your inserts are likely not square. Use a tool like the G5 ASD and square the front insert.

When I build my arrows I square the front and back of the arrow shaft before I install the inserts. On the rare occasion that I have a wobble from my spitfires the G5 takes care of it.

You could also try a small rubber "O" ring on the back of the Broadhead.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

A few years back when they first came out there were a some problems with the spitfires. I was shooting a compound at that time. I called the company and they said they were looking into the heads. I still use NAP broadheads. I switched to the Spitfire Max 125 grain and they are deadly using my Micro 335. Good luck.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Phillyarcher wrote:A few years back when they first came out there were a some problems with the spitfires. I was shooting a compound at that time. I called the company and they said they were looking into the heads. I still use NAP broadheads. I switched to the Spitfire Max 125 grain and they are deadly using my Micro 335. Good luck.
These are OLD spitfires back in 90s never used..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Horizontal Hunter wrote:The front of your inserts are likely not square. Use a tool like the G5 ASD and square the front insert.

When I build my arrows I square the front and back of the arrow shaft before I install the inserts. On the rare occasion that I have a wobble from my spitfires the G5 takes care of it.

You could also try a small rubber "O" ring on the back of the Broadhead.

Bob
Bob years ago I did use those rubber 0 rings and they worked until Iheated the front insert and turned it with points to stop wobble...I tried 15 different arrows and those same 2 points wobble yet 1 that does not did not wobble at all...It must be points cant see insert on 15 arrows all bad etc?
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

[/quote]..It must be points cant see insert on 15 arrows all bad etc?[/quote]

It probably is the old heads, but test the arrows with other heads and if they spin true it's obviously those two BHs. But if the ends of the shafts and inserts aren't square on the 15 arrows, there's your problem. Inserts and shafts are not square without using a squaring tool, so to answer your question, yes...all 15 could be bad.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

racking up points wrote:
..It must be points cant see insert on 15 arrows all bad etc?[/quote]

It probably is the old heads, but test the arrows with other heads and if they spin true it's obviously those two BHs. But if the ends of the shafts and inserts aren't square on the 15 arrows, there's your problem. Inserts and shafts are not square without using a squaring tool, so to answer your question, yes...all 15 could be bad.[/quote]

Rack, I tried 6 spitfires 4 were ok and those 2 were not ..all the field tips spin good on all arrows...date on those spitfires is around 1996/98 never used in pack...Going to try them on my old xx78 arrows that I bought off chuck adams back in 70s at sportsmans show ....He squared the arrows while I watched at show, funny they were 35 dollars for half a dozen then..lol..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Just got thru with NAP..What a company they tell TRUTH..They have grit....I told TRUTH on points and how old they are back to 1996 area..They said Jim you are old fart..lol..They were very nice and said You are original buyer of our points ...They told me they had problem putting tips on the spitfires getting them just RIGHT when they first came out ..Most were ok but a few slipped thru not sq..He said its not my insert on front which Borkholder Archery said they sq the carbon arrows before putting in the brass inserts..They said keep those as collector points and here comes new pack of 100 gr .What a company and its nice to hear a co that tells TRUTH..

I put those 2 points thru 29 arrows 6 squared by Chuck Adams back around 1971 and those 2 points wobbled and other one was fine.....

So I guess I learned a few things today great co. lots of help here by you folks and lot of memories with those arrows from 1971 I still get itch to shoot my recurve but you have to move on and now its my crossbow recurve..
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

You can't beat that kind of service.

They are a well made product and they stand behind them. That's why I shoot them.

I never new that they had some problems with the Spitfire when it first came out. Am glad that you got it straightened out.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire