**UPDATE** Sightmark Core SX 1.5-4.5x 32mm review

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sparkey

**UPDATE** Sightmark Core SX 1.5-4.5x 32mm review

Post by Sparkey »

Let me say, I don't normally do reviews, so if anyone has any questions, let me know.

The basics:
Magnification: 1.5-4.5x
Objective: 32mm
Field of View: 84.3-28.1 ft @ 100 yds
Eye Relief: 3"-3.5"
Tube Diameter: 1"
Length: 9.5"
Weight: 16 oz
Finish: Black
Reticle: Illuminated VXR-M
Adj Size: 1/2" MOA @ 100 yds
IP Rating: 66 (weather/shock/fog proof
Warranty: Limited Lifetime to original purchaser

Its a nice scope and feels well made. The +-3 diopter adjustment works nicely for focusing the reticle and the etched reticle is clear and sharp.

Sighting in took me 10 shots and would have been quicker except I forgot that 1/2" @ 100 equals 1/4" @ 50. The turrets can be reset to zero after sighting in.

Zero has not changed after 50 shots. Picture is after sighted in and 20 shots.

The red illumination is sharp and easy to view without causing any visual anomalies or internal reflections. Also the 11 illumination settings are enough variation to make it clear in both bright day light and sharp at dusk without filling the tube with a washed out glow.

The speed setting moves smoothly and does not have that clunky rough feeling many cheap scopes have. Also has a set screw to fix your speed ring.

Visually, the glass is nice and clear, reticle is clean and unobtrusive and light gathering is very good. The fixed parallax setting of thirty yards is perfect for my hunting needs.

I will add pictures later this afternoon, but for the price it is a great scope. Far superior to the Dead zone scope and I feel is equal, if not slightly better than the Tact Zone on my wife's bow. I especially like how compact it is.
Mark aka Sparkey

So after 60 shots I have a not so good update. The diopter adjustment ring came loose. So after every shot, the reticle is out of focus. Happily, I bought via Amazon so back it goes. I would say look elsewhere for a good scope.

Mark
Last edited by Sparkey on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
L. E. Carroll

Re: Sightmark Core SX 1.5-4.5x 32mm review

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Thank's for a great review.. :D It appears to be very close too the Hawke 1.5-5 XB! Compact, with a similar great warranty and close in price range.

I all honesty, while waiting for your review, I picked up the hawke XB30 Compact that was recently in the classifieds and am awaiting it's arrival.... I hope it rivals all I see that you have written about the sightmark.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Normous

Post by Normous »

Good review Spark! The best price online is $140 usd which is not bad for the above features since it also includes rings.
It appears that the Core 1.5-4.5 x 32 may be replacing the older Sightmark 3-32mm.

Are the supplied rings aluminum or steel? Would you say that overall weight with rings is 16oz or does the scope alone weigh 16oz?
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Normous wrote:Are the supplied rings aluminum or steel? Would you say that overall weight with rings is 16oz or does the scope alone weigh 16oz?
I just put the scope and rings on the Pitney Bowes scale here at work. The total weight of the scope, including the supplied rings and thumb screws is 18.3 oz. Rings are aluminum or at least a non-magnetic metal.
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Finally got a halfway decent pic of the reticle.
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Good lookin scope for the money.It strongly resembles some Hawkes like the XB1.Maybe sourced from them?
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

thanks for the review looks like A GOOD SCOPE FOR THE MONEY
Sparkey

Re: **UPDATE** Sightmark Core SX 1.5-4.5x 32mm review

Post by Sparkey »

See review for a not so good update.
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

There is a rule of thumb in the gun world. "Spend more on the scope than the gun if you have the option". On the cheap end I'd stick with Excal scopes. You want to upgrade look at Leupold, Hawke, Vortex, Ziess all good. Downgrading never turns out so well.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Now imagine your on a hunting trip of a lifetime and your scope let's you down.

I never regret buying quality optics...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Now imagine your on a hunting trip of a lifetime and your scope let's you down.

I never regret buying quality optics...
X2
I always have a spare scope sighted in and ready on any big trip. I always like the old fibre optic sights that came with excel bows. They provided an excellent Plan B if something happened to scope on a trip. I still have a few sets and always have one in parts kit as there are still a few older Exo series bows in camp. I don't believe they fit on any of the new risers, but have not tried either.