Touchy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

typical10

Touchy

Post by typical10 »

Before I give an opinion, I appreciate everyone's else opinions and broadhead choices, I have shot almost every broadhead imaginable in the last 40 years, and in most cases it boils down to shot placement. With that said.
I recently bought 1/2 dozen of the New Rage 125 Hypodermic with the High Energy Series Shock Collar. They came with xtra collars and I started trying to getting them to deploy leaving the bow, with the blades vertical on the bow it will hit the stirrup and launch, Every shot left the Bulldog closed, and as a matter of fact if I attached the collar like the regular collars, it blew threw the block target unopened, however if you lined the blade with the ever so small splits on the collar it still did not open on the shot But opened perfectly on the block. THEN I took the High Energy Series Shock Collar and did the same test with the 125grain Standard Rage Crossbow head. Again lined up vertical on the bow with no premature opening on the shot, and opening at impact on the block. So in my opinion if you are a Rage user, the High Energy Series Shock Collar may just be the answer, but you be the judge. jeff~ :arrow:
JUDGE

Re: Touchy

Post by JUDGE »

I think I will just stick to fixed blades, problem solved.
And I am the JUDGE. lol
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

JUDGE wrote:I think I will just stick to fixed blades, problem solved.
And I am the JUDGE. lol
I say that all the time, and still pi$$ away money on the flavor of the month only to go back to fixed. Too many great heads to choose from, glad you got it figured out for yourself! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Yep, I too shoot only fixed....BUT...(there's always a butt)....I am only shooting a Micro 335. As they say "speed kills" and I can see where an arrow/BH that would shoot fine at 335fps many fly quite differently at 400fps. So I can see where the draw to the mech heads is for the speed bows. But kudos to Jeff for testing a big concern with these heads and RECURVE crossbows. Any given mechanical might shoot fine from a 400fps compound crossbow but open prematurely in a 400fps recurve crossbow. The instantaneous acceleration of the arrow is much much higher on a recurve than a compound.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Sloppy Does

Post by Sloppy Does »

To be clear you are saying that when you installed the high energy shock collars correctly they would not open on impact. Do the directions on the H E shock collars say to put the blades on the tabs or the slots? I've shot the regular hypodermics for two years with no issues. Blades lined up in center of tabs not the slots. Please elaborate for this is valuable info.
Axe 340
308 SHORT
ZEISS XB 75
Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

I think he said if you do not align the slits in the shock collar with the blades, they will not deploy on impact with a target.....
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Have you tried a spitfire. My friend uses em for years with a 405 and a scorypid no issues you can band them even though he never does or needs to.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

Yesterday I was shooting my matrix bulldog 400 with grave digger broadheads in both hunting and practice mode. They flew great with no premature deployments. I was using 18 inch zombie slayers
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead