Buying dad a crossbow.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wvbowmaster

Buying dad a crossbow.

Post by wvbowmaster »

I'm looking to buy my dad a crossbow. I have shot compounds for 25 years but never owned a crossbow. I worked as an archery tech for gander Mtn and cabelas so I did mess around with them some. With just messing around with crossbows in those few years at work and from just my personal opinion I would try to sell the Excalibur first to someone before anything else. Just the simplicity of them and the weight was a big thing for me. Plus they also seemed very accurate. I had meet the owners at the cabelas wheeling wv store. They stopped in on there way to a turkey hunt somewhere. Very nice people. I'm looking at the grizzly. For the price and the weight it looks like something that would be great for him. He will only be using it for whitetails. And he probably will only hunt maybe a day or two a week. Seems like all the reviews I have read have really praised the grizzly for the price of the bow and what your getting quality wise. Only thing I have read a few times is that people was saying the scope quality wasn't real good. And do you have to shoot 150 grn points and broad heads or is it ok to drop down to say maybe 125. Any help you guys could give would really be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: Buying dad a crossbow.

Post by Doe Master »

First off welcome to the forum .
The Grizzly is a good bow for what your intentions are . He is not going for Cape Buffalo is all I mean by that .
The scope is a fixed power like the older dropzone . If he had a problem the warranty is outstanding as you know from dealing with Excalibur .
If you wanted to upgrade on the optics there is more and more scope makers jumping into the crossbow market .
As for the broadheads as you know from shooting the compound there is all kinds of opinions on what they like . The 150 give you the weight forward but I have used for years the 100 grains . Still get passthroughs . :)
The one word of advice for your Dad . Do Not Shoot At The Same Spot !! :shock: :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome aboard, and X2 on what Doe Master said. Good luck, and I'm sure your Dad will be very pleased.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Moejeep

Post by Moejeep »

When I was talking to sales people recently, while looking for a Mirco. I found younger sales staff were all for the Mirco, while the older staff recommended the Matrix 330 since it was easier to cock. When I asked about the Grizzly, they said to spend the extra money and get the Matrix since the Grizzly has the plastic rail.

That is just the information I received... not sure if there is truth to it.

My first bow in the Phoenix, and I did buy the Mirco 335 (I wanted the narrow width for going though the bush.)
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

WvBowmaster,
I would go with the 330. I have a few friends that got that xbow because it is easy to cock. I had a Vortex and that xbow treated me good for many a year. Shot a lot of Deer with that bow and took my first Bear with it too. Its an older model and not sure if you would be able to find one for your Dad to shoot. That why I'm recommending the 330. One piece of adivise would find a store that has a few models of Excaliburs and have your Dad try them out and see what one he feels comfortable shooting, remember he is the one hunting with it. Right now I have the new 335 and I'm shooting NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain with the quills that came with it and it is deadly. Good Luck
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome!! If theres a chance, get him to a store and let him try them out!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

As a newbie to the crossbow world I bought the grizzly cub. One of the major reasons I bought this was the shorter stock, where I hunt I'm only allowed to use it in the last few weeks of the deer season. With the heavier clothes the short stock was key. It's the exact same bow as the grizzly except for the stock,string and camo. Replace the stock string with a matrix type and you have a black grizzly for 400 bucks. It shoots very well and the three dot it comes with so far has been fine, plenty for deer hunting. It's a great little package and I would hunt anything in NA without hesitation. As stated, the Excalibur CS is second to none and you can't beat the warranty.
CalhounWV

Post by CalhounWV »

I hunt WV and purchased the Grizzly. Shot a doe with it this year and got a pass through. I use the 150 Grain fixed blade. Love the bow and it is not difficult to cock using the cocking rope.
Matrix Grizzly, diablo bolts w/luminated nock, 150 gr. BAT boltcutters.
farm3rbrian

Post by farm3rbrian »

The Grizzly is a great 'bow that is light, durable and easily cocked. The scope that comes in the box is also dead on. Being a senior, it is a perfect fit for me. But make sure he handles em and shoots em before deciding. He will know when he gets the right one in his hands.
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey, for tomorrow I may have to eat them. (My Mother)
wvbowmaster

Post by wvbowmaster »

Thanks for all the advice. I can't wait to get him out hunting again.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

The Grizzly is on my "short list" as a daily shooter and pleasurable bow to shoot for long periods of time with due to it's light draw weight.... Do not be put off by the SMF rail... I certainly won't be when the time comes to lay down my $.

The Grizzly's I'm familiar with all came with either the Vari-zone or Dead Zone scopes. Both carry the Excalibur label, great warranty, and are speed adjustable scopes... :D

My cousin has the Dead zone on his Grizzly and I have heard no complaints from him other than how expensive it is to shoot at the same "spot". :lol: That's due to Excal's very high degree af accuracy. :wink:

I have had 3 Vari-zones and 2 Dead zones.... I feel either model is a very good scope but prefer the Dead Zone for it's compact size... They are not a Leupold or Hawke XB30's, but neither do they cost $300.00. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier