Bulldog 400 & Xact bh

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jason D

Bulldog 400 & Xact bh

Post by Jason D »

Hey fellas, im new to the site and figured yall would have the answers. Me and my cousin both got Bulldog 400's orderd last week and was looking to shoot 100gr mechanicals, will the xact hold up to these speeds?

Thanks!
BullDog 400
Hawke XB30 Pro SR
18" Diablo
125gr NAP KIllzone
125gr Grim Reaper Fatal Steel
mchurch

Re: Bulldog 400 & Xact bh

Post by mchurch »

I also own a 400 bulldog. I shot the g5 t3 crossbow head, nap killzone crossbow broadhead, and the excal x act from my 405 with zero problems. From my 400 bulldog I have only shot the grave digger in both hunting and practice mode with no problens.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
Jason D

Post by Jason D »

Good deal i appreciate the response! How do u like the 400 vs 405? Almost went with the 405, any noticable fps difference?
BullDog 400
Hawke XB30 Pro SR
18" Diablo
125gr NAP KIllzone
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Jason, and welcome to the forum. :D Keep in mind, if you are shooting the factory arrows and you go to 100gr points you'll be losing accuracy. The stock arrows come with lighter aluminum inserts meant to be shot with heavier points to achieve the necessary forward of center balance and get the best accuracy. For your Bulldog I suggest looking into Black Eagle Zombie Slayer arrows with 92gr -110gr brass inserts. This will allow you to shoot whichever broadhead point weight you prefer. BTW., why not finish filling out your profile so we can see where you're from. It makes it easier for us to help you. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

I prefer the bulldog. The balance is way better than the 405. I hunt and live in California where shot distance can be very unpredictable. The balance thing is a big deal to me. I don't have access to a chronograph but am shooting the exact same arrows. The x act broadheads are innerloc exp. They are extremely underrated. I saw a video where dan wallace shot through a moose with one out of an excal equinox.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

Paula bout form gave you very good advice. I would order custom arrows with recommended setup from Jerry at south shore archery supply. You can order online.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
Jason D

Post by Jason D »

Thanks guys for the responses, i just figured that since Excalibur claimed 400fps with 350gr arrow/bh that it would be ok to shoot that, diablo at 250gr and xact at 100gr, yall say its too light?
BullDog 400
Hawke XB30 Pro SR
18" Diablo
125gr NAP KIllzone
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Jason D wrote:Thanks guys for the responses, i just figured that since Excalibur claimed 400fps with 350gr arrow/bh that it would be ok to shoot that, diablo at 250gr and xact at 100gr, yall say its too light?
A 350 grain arrow, especially the Easton diablows, won't group as well as a 400gr arrow. It will also have less kinetic energy, meaning slightly less penetration. Follow the advice of the posters given above, it's very sound.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Agreed 400+ if ya want it shooting at its best!! I preferred 425 to 455 grain oin mine, and found that the Zombie Slayers and Spynal Tapps gave the best results,,, this heavy poundage bow loves the stiffer shafts!! That is if you want to see what it is really capable of!! :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Jason D

Post by Jason D »

Appreciate it guys, I will definitely check out the Black Eagles. Just was wanting a 400fps bow to shoot 400fps accurately, guess you gotta give a little somewheres.
BullDog 400
Hawke XB30 Pro SR
18" Diablo
125gr NAP KIllzone
Handline

Post by Handline »

I shot xact out of my 380 and micro for a couple years. I like them. With that said I also changed broad heads before the archery season 2015 for my 380. The xacts I got would not group with my 380 but did fine with my micro. What I found was with the new xacts heads I bought they must have not stayed closed causing poor group. I am sure a small rubber band would have solved the issue. But with my time restraint I did not try it. Also I shot my buck opening day with my micro do I never followed up.

For the previous years my 380 with luminock diablos and xacts I would get 2" groups at 60 yards. That is the level of accuracy I expect to go hunting. Xacts did that until last year and I bought 18 heads for practice and hunting.

I never had accuracy issues with factory arrows and 100 grain heads with my 380 and I like to practice 60yards.
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

That is really strange about the x acts. Did other broadheads group better? They have the most reliable retention mechanism I have found for high poundage recurves. When I shoot them I am using heavier arrows with brass inserts.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
Handline

Post by Handline »

I switched to a fixed blade head and it solved the issue. For the previous years they flew great just last September the bunch I bought did not fly well with my 380. So with like a week or so before the season I made a change and went fixed blade.

They still shot great out of my micro.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

400 huh man I have been gone awhile :mrgreen:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things