Traditional vertical bow Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bob watkins

Re: Traditional vertical bow Question

Post by bob watkins »

a lot of the old recurves were 45# if you can get one of those it would get you about 42#@27in 38#is really on the line yes it can be done . are you shooting 3 under? i still shoot a black swan and a boss longbow 45 @27 is my lightest shot a 200#bear with 45# good luck & have fun

gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

bob watkins wrote:a lot of the old recurves were 45# if you can get one of those it would get you about 42#@27in 38#is really on the line yes it can be done . are you shooting 3 under? i still shoot a black swan and a boss longbow 45 @27 is my lightest shot a 200#bear with 45# good luck & have fun
I shoot one above two below.
I also have A Bear Kodiak Magnum that is 48 lbs @ 28 that I have had about 6 years now and it is a wonderful bow and I should most likely use it but I am really enjoying the Browning Wasp .
I almost bought a Wasp I looked at years ago but did not have the money at the time and regretted not buying it for years I loved the way it shot, then last week I came across one on line and picked it up for $70 had to get it to keep my soul happy I knew it was on the marginal side of draw weight but I figured I could shoot 3D with it if nothing else.
I wanted to get the opinion of more experienced traditional archers as my bow hunting has been with compounds ans x bows for the most part.

Hunt eat sleep repeat.
buildingandrenovatio

Post by buildingandrenovatio »

i have hunt with recurves and long bows most of my life most i am also a bow hunter ed instructor you will be fine at that weight stick to a 2 blade head that inclueds the bear razor head have used them for many years most native american bows were in the 30# range keep your shoots 30 yards and under and you will have no problems good luck
Retired United States Airforce

Excalibur Cub
middleton
Barnett Jackel
Barnett Panzer v mod 200 lbs
Horton Tacoma
MK 1501a1(175lbs limb)
MK 150 3c (175lbs limb)
MK120 1c (175lbs limb)
MK180 1c (130 lbs)
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Gerald, you make me envious, :wink:
I started hunting in 1960 w/a 42 lb. Ben Pierson ,
at 28" draw, and used bear razor heads !
I killed a few deer with it, without any problems.
and I shot 3 fingers under ! :)
the trick is close up, and shot placement, that was when they came out with aluminum arrows, :D I am not sure but I think they was 2219 or 2216 shafts,
it gave me a little more k.e. and shot fine, I draw 32"
Good luck to you, :D

Dave :D
Last edited by papabear1 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Looks like they left the door open and the Galactically mentally impaired found his way in again,,,, get help Joe,,, you honestly need it!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
SEW

Post by SEW »

The Bear Super Razorhead with bleeder blade will work well to whatever range you can hit the deer. The arrow will loose very little energy with range, but trajectory is the factor to consider.
The poundage measured at 28" is the legal poundage, as has been stated. You're ok there.
I still hunt with my Palmer White Tail Classic but "cheat" and use 125g Spitfires occasionally.
Shoot 3 fingers under. Don't practice until you get tired. I rarely shoot over 6 shots an outing, but it's just out my backdoor. I recommend shooting out of treestands at deer targets. I recommend all your shooting being at deer targets.
Tune the arrow!!!
Again, let your max yardage be determined by your confidence in your accuracy, not concern over penetration: the difference in energy at 15 and 35 yds is likely less than 5% max.
Have fun. I still vertical recurve hunt. I'll be 69 this month. Started hunting with a vertical flat bow (self bow) when I was 10. Still fun.