Traditional vertical bow Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald strine

Traditional vertical bow Question

Post by gerald strine »

I just picked up a Browning wasp vertical re curve bow that I really like it has a sweet feel and is a nice shooter but at my full draw it is registering 38 lbs.
I would like to hear from experienced traditional gear hunters if you think this would be enough to hunt deer if shots were under 15 yards.
I have 30 years of vert compound bow hunting and about 6 years with my excal but would like to give this bow a few hunts if you think it is up to the job. I would use wood shaft arrows with traditional Bear chisel tip broadheads,
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: Traditional vertical bow Question

Post by Hunt it »

How about a traditional recurve, no need for the vertical part. Now, nice bow and should be great for flinging arrows all day at that weight. 38# will kill a deer just fine if you do your part and keep shots close as stated.
One concern will be what do your game regulations state about minimum legal weight? Here 40#'s is minimum for deer I believe. As long as you are within the law your good to go. Practice makes perfect and the old stick and string is deadly, don't forget to pick a spot. No better feeling than getting it done with a trad bow in your hand. I shoot longbows on the heavy side 70-85#.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I will have to look at my regulations good point.
The bow is rated at 42 lb at 28 inch draw but I have about a 27 inch draw and only get 38 lbs out of it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

When i was a kid i had a cravata bros. ( not sure if i spelled right) blackhawk recurve made here in pa it was 40 pounds i bought it off my older brother when he bought a 50 pounder i killed 6 bucks with that used bow all at under 20 yards with a file sharpened zwickey. I like the longbow much better because you dont get that limb "snap" of the recurve. In pa i think the draw weight is 35 lbs unless it was changed.Answering your question your bow will indeed kill a deer with ease .l would stress for a 20 yard shot or under and use a traditional cut on contact head.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Image[/URL]Longbow joe as a young whipper snapper with his deadly martin bushmaster (circa 1992)
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

gerald strine wrote:I will have to look at my regulations good point.
The bow is rated at 42 lb at 28 inch draw but I have about a 27 inch draw and only get 38 lbs out of it.
Here the law goes by weight marked on bow, so in your case bow is legal here regardless of how much you can draw.
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

Morrison recurve, Pecos River country few years back.
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

Morrison takedown longbow, hogs in the Land Down Under.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

As mentioned, close range only. Definitely under twenty yards. I will suggest staying away from the chisel points and using a good cut on contact 3 to 1 two blade broadhead to ensure enough penetration. Perfect shot placement is crucial of course.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Thanks all for your replys now I need a lot of behind the string time.
Paul the head I plan on using is the original Fred Bear head with the bleeder blade option it is a cut on contact head but i was thinking the very tip was a bit flatended out cutting point but at second look it is a sharp cutting point. the slightly flat cutting Fred Bear point I beleave was the stainless model that was a latter version.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I thought you were referring to the chisel tips like on the Muzzy broadheads. The Fred Bear is a cut on contact and I do believe is a three to one. Enjoy the string time. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

Check regulations on min draw weight
I hunt hogs with a 45#@28
Find an arrow setup that works
Work on shot placement
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

Yes it is, no problem. Make sure your arrow is tuned properly and you have a good quality sharp two blade fix head, Eskimo is a great choice. Keep shits under 20 yards and your go to go. Check game laws, here in IL a 40 lb min is required. Good luck and have fun.
galamb

Post by galamb »

I shot Eskimo's for many many years in both my long bow (45 lb) and recurve (51 lb).

Back maybe 10 years ago I test out a bunch of expandable and started shooting Rage's 40KE (fully deploys with minimal KE) - they worked really well out to 25 yards with my recurve (had retired my longbow by then - my custom recurve is way "prettier" :) ).

Last December my Dead Ringer rep tossed me a package of Rampage II Stiletto's - said they would deploy equally well with very low KE impacts. No live "targets" yet with those but they penetrate very well (out at 25 yards) and have expanded flawlessly (and are super durable) with target work so far.

Just throwing this in, in case you think you "can't" use an expandable broadhead with a light draw bow - there are options. But if you are happy with the way your fixed "flies", absolutely use it - they worked for decades before technology really got involved.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Hunt it and LongBowJoe those are some fine harvest in your picture post made even sweeter by the gear used great job !
Hunt eat sleep repeat.