New to Crossbow and some basic questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bcfirefly

New to Crossbow and some basic questions

Post by Bcfirefly »

Hello,
New xbow owner and new to the forum!
After much research and figuring out what would work for me (including $) I purchased a Matrix 355. Loving it so far and usually get to practice daily on the farm.
Just getting it prep'd for some actually hunting and wondering what arrow / broadhead I should be looking at. The bow came with 4 18" Diablo arrows and spec's mention using 18" and 150gr points. Looked at the store and was surprise at the smaller area of excal broadhead and that there was other options but at a lower weight (store didn't carry any mechanicals?). I plan on using for Whitetail deer this season and see how that goes before moving up to bigger deer or moose.
Questions:
1) Should I stay with 18" arrows? (will try to stick with stock products until I get things more dialed).
2) What broadhead to use and weight? (guessing answer goes hand in hand with arrow length and weight)
3) How do I go about getting a lumenok or similar nock? Does that throw off the weights? Concerns over a plastic base blowing apart?

Think that's about it. Can't believe it took me so long to get into this!!
Thanks,
Tom

Re: New to Crossbow and some basic questions

Post by Tom »

The package that Excalibur puts out for their bows are more then capable of doing the job for most people.

Yes you can get better arrows and better heads, but I do believe that Excalibur came up with a good combination which does not cost too much money, but still does a more then good enough job.

Some of us on here like to be more then adequate, we want our arrows to hit the same hole at 20 & 30 yards.

#1, ..... your stock arrows are set up for the 150gr heads. If you go to a lighter head, it might effect the FOC (front of center weight %) of the arrow. Most on here, when they went to a lighter head, they went with a brass insert in the arrow to adjust to the preferred FOC. This insert just adds weight to the front of the arrow, to compensate for the lighter head.

#2, .... Choose a quality head. Any quality head will most likely work well for you. If you want to start an argument, just ask what head is BEST :lol: :lol: :lol: ...... just be confident in the head you choose.

#3, .... I do not think that I have ever heard of a problem with the plastic nocks in the arrows, but anything might happen. You should always inspect everything every once in a while (plastic, allumn or brass). As for the lighted nocks, there are a few people out there that make arrows, when you decide to get more arrows, and you want a lighted nock, order them with the nock.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Welcome, great choice. The stock Diablos are just fine for what you are doing. Most however to upgrade to stiffer spined arrows - The Black Eagle Zombie Slayers are stiffest available and most popular. If you stick with Diablos you want to use heavier broad heads such as the 150gr Bolt Cutters - the FOC - Front of Centre weight gives better accuracy. The benefit of moving to the Zombie Slayers is that you can order them with brass inserts (front insert) this adds the FOC weight for you as the inserts come in 80-90-102 grns thus allowing you to use 100gr broad heads and many more options in that weight. Keep in mind that a hole of any size in the right place does the job, a big hole in the wrong place is not necessarily going to do the job. Also small heads fly better and have less plane effect in wind. The 150gr Bolt cutter is fantastic on moose - the guys in my group have been using them for years. If you want to try a good 100gr head in new shafts, I've had fantastic success with G5 Strikers on lots of game. Most archery shops that carry luminock can give you correct size once you tell them what shaft you have - ask for flat nock not half moon. There are a number of good custom arrow guys on here - Big John comes to mind as he makes some great custom order arrows - he can get you everything you want colour wise - shafts - lighted knocks etc. Have fun!
galamb

Post by galamb »

Good advice so far.

Like the guys have said, picking a broadhead is really a personal thing and whatever you choose there will be a dozen that love it and would shoot nothing else and another dozen that think it's junk and would never use it again.

You have a 355 - it makes enough speed and power that you can use "whatever broadhead you want" for deer and it will be more than lethal.

You are doing a fair bit of shooting now, so I wouldn't be in a big rush to change "anything" - ok, you still have to find a head and make sure it will do what you want, but before you go swapping bolts, strings etc, get really comfortable with the factory stuff and "then decide" IF you want to change anything.

You might find (like the guy I hunt with) you like the factory bolts just fine - no reason to change and will buy some more when you kill a couple that you have OR you might decide you want to try and tighten things up (or whatever).

Sometimes I think many of us here (and I might be worse than most) just have to keep pushing the envelope looking for the next best thing - always going with a new broadhead or whatever when what we were using was already more than we would ever need.

I spend hours on my bolts - gone through dozens of (models), tried dozens of different fletching etc and the very first ones I ever used were already "accurate enough" to take down any deer I have ever shot - so does it matter that now if I shoot a group of three I will probably bust one of my bolts hitting it with another arrow? Ok, it's "cool" and "impressive", but ultimately, it doesn't improve my chances of hitting a deer with a "single shot" - I'm either on or I miss - and where the second, third of fifth shot afterwards would go in comparison is of no importance...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Welcome to the forum! Where abouts in B.C are you from?
Happy shootin,
Hank
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Tom wrote:... Some of us on here like to be more then adequate, we want our arrows to hit the same hole at 20 & 30 yards...
Or 80 to 100 yards that is! :lol:

Lot's of good advice already. I run a different bow, but will suggest when you get like Tom or galamb (or a few others of us) you consider Custom Arrows & Strings. Until that point, best to stick with the advice being so well offered by those In The Know...
hankenhunter wrote:Welcome to the forum! Where abouts in B.C are you from?
And Yeah... What He Said :wink:

Cheers,
Nog - Another BC Boy
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

Welcome,
You will find a lot of good info on this site. The members on this site are very knowledgable and will help you with what you need to know in setting up your excal and general info too.

I have been shooting the factory bolts with both of my excals ( Vortex & Micro 335 ) and have taken a lot of Deer and took my first Bear with my Vortex and had no problem with bolts. Now that I'm shooting the Micro I have taken Deer with the same results. The head that I use is the NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain and love them. This is my choice. There are a ton of broadheads that are good. I also used the Bolt Cutters and they worked real good too.

As far as the lumenok , get the ones that are already installed in the bolts. I bought a few that I installed in my bolts and it's a bit tricky. I split one of the bolts heating it up. It's much easier buying them installed. Hey good luck.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

If you are considering moose hunting as you mentioned in your first post, please do the moose a favour and do not use expandable broad heads on them. Moose hair/hide will reduce penetration considerably if using an expandable. I know it's been done and will be done again BUT if hit is not perfect results will be dismal. My outfitter sent home a guy this year that hit two moose with Rage from xbow and lost both - guy wanted to try for third - outfitter said sorry your going home I did my part, your equipment is not up to the task.
Bcfirefly

Post by Bcfirefly »

Hey Thanks guys!
Great info for me as I begin down this path. The crossbow part I am quickly learning, the arrows and many details of it was unknown to me. Much like when I first start rolling my own ammo - so may small details to learn.
I will stick with what's easily available (stock bolts and bolt cutters) for this season and continue to learn and practice and then experiment after this hunting season.
Oh updated my profile, just wanted to get my questions out asap as I was going to go shopping this weekend :)
Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

One of the first things I learned with an Excal crossbow is:

Don't aim at the same spot twice! :lol:
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

You have every thing you need to kill anything in North America.
Just do a little practicing till you are confident.
And don't shoot at the same spot twice, it gets expensive.
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243