have to switch hands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter with MS

have to switch hands

Post by hunter with MS »

Has anyone changed hands that you shoot with ? I have to due to a rare skin cancer on my upper chest and it traveled to the shoulder . So I have to switch from Left hand to right hand . I 'm not doing all that bad at 20 yards with the Matrix 330 . If anyone has to switch you have any tips for me ?
nannyhammer

Re: have to switch hands

Post by nannyhammer »

Sorry to hear the reason for the switch! Sounds like you're well on your way to shooting with the other hand. I shoot xbow/rifle with either hand and don't have any issues. I shoot off of sticks to help with stabilization but all you need to is practice until it becomes more natural. Since I still have the use of my primary hand I only shoot left handed when needed but I have no issues. Lots of dry fire practice with follow up on the range and you'll be golden!
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Glad you've over came the problem! I had to hunt one handed for two years because of multiple shoulder surgeries that overlapped hunting seasons. My brothers kept me in the woods by making a drop down bipod with a trigger switch. My doctor thought I was nuts. No way was I gonna give hunting just because my arm was in a full restraint sling. :lol: Adapt and overcome is the hallmark of a true hunter.
Happy shootin,
Hank
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

Dry fire? Wrong terminology with a crossbow, but know what your saying.

I shoot either hand. Most have a dominant eye, that should determine which hand to shoot from. I do not have a dominant eye. For me, it seems to come natural to shoot from either side. For you, I would say two things, practice and more practice. If you shoot enough, you'll get better at it. Good luck

RR
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Sorry to hear of your illness. Lots of practice should get you in shape for hunting. Good luck.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Give em hell hunter.you got all summer to get it .youl be fine .water off a ducks back.!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Thanks . I am working on getting it together for turkey season that starts in a little bit more then a week, I am shoot my Matrix 330 for this project as I feel this will be easier to work with . I will shoot 10 or 15 arrows today at 20 yards and then extend it to 25 in a few days then 30 . Funny I shoot handguns either hand no problem long guns and crossbows not so easy .
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Not quite the same . But I practice for that rare time when something comes in the wrong way . I am right handed but have shot some animals left . My thing I really concentrate on is closing my right eye .
Something to maybe think about buying is an eyepatch from the drugstore . I have seen some guys on TV with a dominance problem use it for archery .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I am not as good left handed as right, but I do take a lot of practice shots left handed just for that might have to moment,,,, I think if I practiced as much left handed as right I would have no trouble changing,,,, practice makes perfect,,,,

Sorry about your health,,, but keep at it and hope you continue to enjoy success,,, I am pretty sure you will!!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

My shooting eye is failing me so I have had to switch over to left hand shooting.

For me, it's still a work in progress. I shot trap for years. I got so accustomed to have a right cheek weld, and having a weapon that flowed right up to my right cheek as I mounted the gun. It's the same with a crossbow, but the brain resists as I do it now.

Practice lots of shooting from the "wrong hand" side, of course. However, also do a lot of wrong hand mounting, so you brain doesn't resist you when you have to do a quick mount and shoot.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.