Help with bolt/arrow selection

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

savannah

Help with bolt/arrow selection

Post by savannah »

Hello all, 1st time poster here and about to be new excalibur owner. Im trying to get things set up here and have a few questions. I got a compound crossbow last year and have had nothing but problems. I did a ton of reading and research of the winter and decided I was going to get rid of it and get an Excalibur. After the 2016's came out I had it narrowed down to the new Bulldog 400, or the new Micro 355. I have decided to go with the micro 355. I love the micro platform and am strictly a hunter for use. The farthest I have ever shot was 40yds and the way I see it at 40 yards there wont be much difference between the two in drop. So that being said- Last year I had a gift card from Gander and ended up getting some Carbon Express Pile Driver bolts (see below)

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... k&i=719922

I bought a dozen, brand new. So question 1) Dave at Wyvern (where im ordering the excal) said the micro should have a 16.5" bolt. So if I cut these down to 16.5" will these be good bolts for the Micro 355?

2) If yes and I can use them, where do I get flat nocks for them? They currently have half-moon and I see I need flat nocks.

3) All my broadheads for hunting are 100 grain. I have used with great success both the 100 grain Slicktrick, and the 100 grain Spitfire heads. I have a bunch of them. Can I still use 100 grain heads with these little 16.5" bolts? It would stink to have to sell them all off and get something heavier, but I will if I need to.

Thank you all for the help in advance.
longbow joe

Re: Help with bolt/arrow selection

Post by longbow joe »

Yes im sure dave can help you with the flat nocks. It would be best if you went with at least a 80 grain or up brass insert with the 100 grain point you need at least 180 grains up front (insert n point) to get the most out of the short bolt some of us have great results with a 110 grain insert and a 125grain head but thats a trial n error thing .The more foc the better on a short bolt in my opinion. Good luck with yer new bow.(your bow choice has plenty of power dont be afraid to go a little heavy on the bolt its nothing on paper in the speed n drop at 40 yards)
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Will those CX arrows work? Absolutely, and if you use a longer expandable broadhead, I would suggest going to 16" to keep total arrow length within the stirrup. Are they the best arrow? Absolutely not.

Let me make a suggestion. By the time you cut and square your shafts, buy and glue-in new inserts, and buy plastic nocks, for a bit more money and a lot less hassle, you could get David at Wyvern to make you up some Black Eagle Arrows. I'd recommend the stiffer Zombie Slayers. They have a much stiffer spine, critical in crossbow arrows, and are made to more exacting tolerances. If you end up getting addicted to your Micro, like I know you WILL, you'll thank me later for this suggestion.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase.
Last edited by racking up points on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I totally agree with Black eagles. The other side of that is the components are easy to find that fit them. I would shoot the snot out the ones you have, but get the Zombies in time to tune up before the hunting season rolls around.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The guys are right i know you want to keep your curent bolts but the zombies are the bomb it might not be worth the effort to fix em up.nothing wrong with the 100 grain head matched with a brass inserted zombie !
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.