Excalibur Matrix 330

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boomer81

Re: Excalibur Matrix 330

Post by Boomer81 »

Not being able to see the pictures i am stabbing in the dark that there is possibly a burr on your trigger arm (whatever holds the string) that is cutting in to your serving? See if you can get your pinky finger in there to feel for sharp edges. Or use a q-tip and see if it gets caught/torn on the metal that holds the arrow. Youd have to file down and sand/polish the burr to make sure it is smooth so it doesnt damage the string any more.

Edit: got the pics to work. That rust on your trigger part is basically grinding down your serving. You need to sand that off and make sure to use some type of oil on the metal to prevent rust and only use a light film.
"Rumble"
Matrix 350LE Treestand Camo

"Ravage"
Micro Mag 340 Mossy Oak Camo
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Please email the photos to:
peter at excaliburcrossbow dot com.

Rough trigger catches rarely cause serving wear these days. The most common issue is using too much wax or twisting the string in the wrong direction. Also, if your crossbow has a brace height mark make sure it does not have a burr on it.

Please send us the photos so we can troubleshoot it.

Peter
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Can you explain the twisting in the wrong direction issue? In order to shorten brace height isn't there only one way to twist the string?

Thanks for the info, I'm constantly trying to learn.
Boomer81

Post by Boomer81 »

There are two directions you can twist a string when it is perfectly straight (no twist). When a string has no twist, either direction (clockwise or counter clockwise) will shorten the string.

What he wants to know is if you shortened the string by twisting clockwise or counter clockwise. He also needs to know if the serving is twisted in the same direction.

It could be that the string was put on with the wrong twist to begin with.

Basically if the serving was wound on to the string in a counter clockwise direction, you should then install the string with some counter clockwise twist. That way when you shorten the string by continuing to twist counter clockwise, you are shortening (or tightening) the string in the same direction as how the serving was put on.

Sorry if that is terribly confusing!
"Rumble"
Matrix 350LE Treestand Camo

"Ravage"
Micro Mag 340 Mossy Oak Camo
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

So it is not just the direction of the twist of the string. It is that plus the serving direction.

I always go counter clockwise to shorten and have a Excalibur OEM string, so how can I know if I put it on wrong and twist it wrong?
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

I always go counter clockwise to shorten and have a Excalibur OEM string, so how can I know if I put it on wrong and twist it wrong?
Turning the string counter clockwise to shorten the string is correct. We have had issues where the string is twisted clockwise to shorten the string which unwinds the serving allowing it to separate and eventually tear.

Also, check the rear insert on your arrows for damage, sometimes sharp edges caused by being hit from other arrows can tear the serving. I was not able to see your photos but another problem we see is too much wax being used. Too much wax can soften the serving possibly resulting in serving separation and tearing.

Peter