Bulldog down

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ThunderXB

Bulldog down

Post by ThunderXB »

Well, I was going to shoot some pics of my new Bulldog finally all set up this weekend, but instead it's in pieces with the frame and rail ready to be sent back for warranty work. :(

First, the trigger is just bad. Lots of creep, multiple walls to pull through, so I'll get it fixed before I put in a triggertech.

Next, when shooting a number of weeks ago, the rear rail/frame screw just dropped out. It wouldn't stay in and didn't seem long enough and Excal sent me some new ones.

The new one fell out (again) this morning and the aluminum screw hole is pretty much stripped out. Not sure how/if they can fix that one

So, good thing Excal has a good warranty.

This is not only my first Excal, it's also my first crossbow so this is pretty disappointing. Still need to figure out how to extend the stock more than the factory inch and raise the cheekpiece higher, but I'll work on that when I get it back. RATS! :!:
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
longbow joe

Re: Bulldog down

Post by longbow joe »

Sorry to hear this i really like the dog .the other members have better stories maby you just got a fluke i hope your happy wen you get it back.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

Sounds like a lemon,with,multiple issues, I'd ask for a replacement.
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

Excal has a really good warranty. I would send the whole excal back they should replace it with not only one problem with it. Good luck.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I found out a long time ago that the thin rail on the bow is what the stock screws fasten to, and it is easy to put to much torque on them and strip the holes out. I found this out early on because the screws kept coming loose. I found being gentle with tightening them and using blue loctite, I never had another problem. I did I have to replace the #8 factory screw with a #10 from the hardware store and tap the hole that I stripped out, about a 30 cent fix, and still shoot that bow years later and have no reason to ever get rid of it, my grandkids will be using it!!

If the screws ever loosen again just remember, you won't tighten them enough to keep them from vibrating loose, the best thing to do is clean them with brake cleaner or acetone and use a drop if Blue Loctite on them and lightly snug them up, they won't come loose again. Do this and you'll have no problems with some of the best bows made today!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

i would have sent it back too. i have tapped the rails a size bigger also but not on newly purchased crossbows. you have to be careful with those 32 nd thread screws and aluminum. i tend to snug things up and then a hair more and leave it at that. if Excalibur assembled some units with short screws then your threads in the rail are probably wiped out and having a longer screw wont help. any trigger with linkage is gonna feel different. dont know if id run out and buy a triggertech til you get the new crossbow back. an aftermarket trigger may lower the trigger poundage but theres always gonna be a differance in feel due to the linkage.ive read good reports on the factory triggers. ive had my share of issues through the years and they always come through.hang in there!
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

That's scary, one thing that keeps them in my cave is I ain't had my share of trouble, except once, I've owned over a dozen different models in Exo Matrix and Micro series,,, one thing I ain't had is trouble other than a bad limb on a micro and sripped thread I caused,,
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Yeah, I'm a little bummed, but things happen.

It was shooting pretty good, even with the trigger as is, before the screw issue jumped up again, so I'm looking forward to getting it fixed and back to work.

I could likely fix the screw issue myself using a slightly larger screw and loctite, but since I might as well get the trigger fixed anyway, I'll send the whole thing in and see what they can do.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am sorry to hear of yer troubles wid the new model Excal 400. They will get it fixed fer ya
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Its a bummer when a new bow has issues. :(

However when that bow comes back it will be better than new. Excaliburs warranty team in the US and Canada are world class and they have a high attention to detail...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

ThunderXB wrote:Yeah, I'm a little bummed, but things happen.

It was shooting pretty good, even with the trigger as is, before the screw issue jumped up again, so I'm looking forward to getting it fixed and back to work.

I could likely fix the screw issue myself using a slightly larger screw and loctite, but since I might as well get the trigger fixed anyway, I'll send the whole thing in and see what they can do.
Don't blame you, but,,,I would still highly recommend the blue loctite when you get it back, and if anything else works loose after that,, be sure and give it the same treatment,,, you won't have those issues again!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
SEW

Post by SEW »

wildcatter wrote:I found out a long time ago that the thin rail on the bow is what the stock screws fasten to, and it is easy to put to much torque on them and strip the holes out. I found this out early on because the screws kept coming loose. I found being gentle with tightening them and using blue loctite, I never had another problem. I did I have to replace the #8 factory screw with a #10 from the hardware store and tap the hole that I stripped out, about a 30 cent fix, and still shoot that bow years later and have no reason to ever get rid of it, my grandkids will be using it!!

If the screws ever loosen again just remember, you won't tighten them enough to keep them from vibrating loose, the best thing to do is clean them with brake cleaner or acetone and use a drop if Blue Loctite on them and lightly snug them up, they won't come loose again. Do this and you'll have no problems with some of the best bows made today!
Excellent advice. Personally, I'd tap it myself, and use the #10s and blue Loctite. Trigger Tech is a worthwhile upgrade, and Air Brakes, and Dr Stirrup, and an Optimizer, and a great rifle scope, and and great custom arrows, C-2 cocker, extra strings. It just almost never ends. But is worth it.
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Please contact our office directly and talk to Dawn or Mike and we will take care of the issue. Having a screw just fall out is unusual but we will take care of it.

800-463-1817 ext. 204

Peter
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:Please contact our office directly and talk to Dawn or Mike and we will take care of the issue. Having a screw just fall out is unusual but we will take care of it.

800-463-1817 ext. 204

Peter

Thank you Peter.

I have been in touch with Mike all along re these issues and based on his directive I have completed a RMA for return & repair this morning.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....Excalibur is just a wonderful company!

.....I do agree with the previous posters however....I would be looking for a replacement dog at this point however!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings