Excalibur 405 crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rhumbug4321

Excalibur 405 crossbow

Post by rhumbug4321 »

I have a one year old Model 405... I took it on a Kansas bow hunt, while sitting in my ground blind, I heard a strange snapping sound... Turns out my bow limb snapped and cut short my Kansas bow hunt by 3 days... When I arrived home I was told where to send it for proper repair and all took place within a few days.
But it ruined my expensive bow hunt... I am convinced that the 405 is overpowered for the design strength... My question is, can I slack off on the bow string tension by a half inch or so to cut down on the pounds of pull, i.e., can I create a 385 pound or less pull, by lessening to string tension. will that work or am I stuck with this as a 400 pound pull self destruct bow... Dick Hummer...
bowhunter1

Re: Excalibur 405 crossbow

Post by bowhunter1 »

My left limb just split today while I was shooting in my back yard!! I hope this can be fixed to the point of never happening again??? :shock: :shock: :cry: DAM IT !!!!!!
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

I used to own a 405. Now I have a bulldog 400
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
bowhunter1

Post by bowhunter1 »

Does anyone know if the performance of the bow will be reduced from the fix ? I was really looking at a Bulldog 400 but saw this 405 on the trading post for 750.00 with 6 BEE's and 5 custom Flemish strings .. was owned for a year and shot about 700 times so I figured if it was bad it would have already crap the bed.. RIGTH?? WRONG..... it scared the hell out of me when that limb split :shock: :shock: !! so I cleaned out my underpants and got on the computer to say HELP ME !!!! :? :?
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Personally if i had a 405 i would ask excal to turn it into a 350 n just leave the few fps as a loss even if i had to pay for a new rail.just my 2 cents ....i like reliable stuff over speed !
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

It would be easier to help ya better if we knew where you were from!!

If you want the speed the 405 offers it is your only Excalibur choice. The 405 is at least 15 fps faster than the 400' from the three I have seen tested. You have nothing to worry about if you call Danny Miller and let him get you a set of limbs that are not affected by the bad limbs that got out.

I also would not own any recurve without a set of spare limbs. This is one of the advantages of owning a recurve, I have changed limbs on three different recurves, and set brace height back where I always run it, and first shot was dead on, and close enough to keep hunting and not worry about POI out to 40 or 50 yards. same with changing strings. you can't do that with any other bow.

Now if you are not fixated with speed like me, and realize how little it is necessary, like easy to cock and shoot all day, easier on servings, and nicer trigger pull, with ass good or better accuracy,,, you will love a 350,, but call Danny and talk to the DR. he'll fix ya up either way!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Excalibur has recently modified some existing 405 risers with a slight radius being milled into the outer edge of the limb pocket to reduce some stress over the previously sharp edge on their earlier existing 405 risers.

I recently accquired one of these "modified" 405 risers for a 380 I put together ( I love it ! ) and with the newly modified riser, I have total confidence in the bow even though my chrono shows I did get about 5 fps. less speed than other 380's out there without a modified riser.
Personally, I'll sacrafice a bit of speed for reliability.

I think I'd contact Excal and see if you can get your hands on one of these modified risers,,,,, as said above, I think your only other option is to have Danny Miller or Excal shorten your existing rail length down to 350 Matrix specs a get your reliability from that direction...

Having a Matrix 355, I can tell from personal experience, its performance is very impressive and don't think you would be dissappointed going in that direction either.( Actually, I think Excal. addopted that modified 405 riser into the limited run of 350's they have released during the past couple months? ) :wink:

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

As always, if you have an issue please contact us directly.

We do have new limbs that have not been exposed to excessive heat which was the main issue with some of the 405's. 405's with limbs not overheated had no issues and there are still thousands of them being used out there with no problems. We also have risers that with a modified radius where the limbs exit the riser which also helps. Please call us and we'll get you fixed up.

800-463-1817

Peter
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Well Peters response is not surprising and its just another reason that I just purchased another Excalibur. Where else and from what other company will you get a company rep send a post assuring a customer that they will be taken care of and actually back it up? I worked in quality assurance for a major automotive company for over 35 years and have seen it all regarding customer service. Excalibur is the best I have ever seen bar none. The Excalibur products are great but the people of Excalibur are awesome. I seriously would never buy any other crossbow but an Excalibur.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
munch

Post by munch »

i had a small sliver in mine(not crack) and peter fixed me right up and no more issue ,im sure like he said it was the hot limbs . ive had no more issues .may by a spare set of limbs just as backup only because moose hunting we are so far away.
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
bowhunter1

Post by bowhunter1 »

I just spoke with Peter on the telephone about my limb issue.. They are going to as usual per Excalibar's professional, customer service Take care of my bow by installing the modified riser on it and brand-new limbs!! Now I just can't wait to get it put back together and start hammering arrows again. Thank you very much Peter and Excalibur!!! let me get it tuned up and there will be plenty of kill pictures to follow !!! :twisted: :twisted:
bowhunter1

Post by bowhunter1 »

Ok guys.... Here we go!!! FIRST AND FOREMOST.... Thank you very much to Peter aka Excalibur Marketing Dude.. He put notes on my repair order to Woody's Sporting Goods here in Pa, to put the new modified raiser on my 405 with the replacement limbs... Well Woody's did a great job and my bow was back together and HAMMERING arrows at 40 yds 1/2 groups in 4 days!!! WOW.. the service from Woody's was exceptional, and let me tell ANYONE who is worried about any issues with the MEGA 405... DO'NT LET YOUR HEART BE TROUBLED!!!! Excalibur and Peter took GREAT care of me and my broke limb set.. This Critter Kill'n Monster of a bow is shooting like I would expect, I could not be HAPPIER with its performance. If anyone has any worry about buying a used or new used 405 and you want the king hammer just buy it. This company WILL take care of you (IF) a problem arises?? Thank you to EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME.. and a Big Thank you to 8pt Buck for advice too.. This company has another life long customer never will I shoot another crossbow! I also own a Equinox... super sweet shooter also!! :D :D :D
Boomer81

Post by Boomer81 »

Another great customer service story from Excalibur. It is something rare now a days to find a company that stands behind their product like they do. As well as provide the level of customer service that they do. Glad you got your xcal back to form!!
"Rumble"
Matrix 350LE Treestand Camo

"Ravage"
Micro Mag 340 Mossy Oak Camo
wapster

Post by wapster »

Definitely a story with a HAPPY ending....high honors to Excalibur and speedy service. Post us up some pics of its shooting abilities Scott..... :D
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Your very welcome !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]