Need some help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GRUNDY

Need some help

Post by GRUNDY »

I feel like a broken record, but my darn latches are still cutting my serving up. My latest shot count before strands start pulling is 64-68 shots. This is after three trigger assemblies and a recent latch polishing (latches look like they are chrome now). I getting to the point where I'm ready to send it to Excalibur and have them shoot the thing and see if they can figure it out. Pretty much 5 shooting sessions will wear out a serving...

I might try to buy a TT trigger, but at this point I'm not so convinced it will work. I have alot of time and some money of course tied up with this little debacle and really need some advice or help from someone who may have had a similar experience.

Bow is a Micro 335

Thanks so much,

Brian
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
foofoo

Re: Need some help

Post by foofoo »

sounds like you may be over cocking the string. give danny miller a shout and he will tell you what he thinks :wink:
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Pics? Run your finger over the hash marks at the end of the barrel. I've read about a few Excals eating strings because of it.
Hank
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

Its certainly not over-cocking. all the wear is on the latch side.

I've already had to de-burr and polish the brace marks. They were not helping the situation.

Danny MIller said to shoot the heck out of the bow with no lube at all and let the serving polish the surfaces. Not too sure that is what I'm up against...

The bow has eaten 5 servings in less than 500 shots. All the fraying/wear starts right where the latches engage the string/serving.
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Have you polished your trigger latches? I was getting wear on my 335 Micro and polishing them helped increase my serving longivity a bunch. Keep in mind though just how sharp the string angle is as it comes off the latches.... very little if anything can be done to make that better with the short limbs used on a Micro.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Excuse me I'm new at this and trying to understand.

I have the Micro 335 and shot maybe three times and my string is wearing out but I don't know if it's in the same location.
Could you please post some photos of the wear so I can see what exactly are you talking about so that way I can compare it to mine?
And if you have the old strings that are worn post those too.
Thanks
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Grunst, I wish I read the forum before responding to your emails!

Photos will really help. Catches rarely cause string wear issues these days and since they are polished and the brace height mark has been address it really is puzzling. In your email you stated that the wear is even on both sides which is good, it shows there is nothing wrong with the catch.

We have done a lot of testing with strings on the Micro and get more than 75 shots per serving so something else is going on. Marks or dents on the serving is not an issue but torn servings is.

Send me the photos and we can go from there.

Peter
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Them micros eat strings just the nature of the beast. I got a lot more wear out of one of our forum members strings but after 80 shots your gonna see wear without a dought on any micro string no matter what trigger or latch you have.my normal matrix bows seem to have almost half the wear of the short limb wonder .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote: We have done a lot of testing with strings on the Micro and get more than 75 shots per serving so something else is going on.

Peter
longbow joe wrote:Them micros eat strings just the nature of the beast. I got a lot more wear out of one of our forum members strings but after 80 shots your gonna see wear without a dought on any micro string no matter what trigger or latch you have.my normal matrix bows seem to have almost half the wear of the short limb wonder .
So are both of you saying that the string will be 'SCRAP' after 75-80 shots or just the, I think it's called, serving section? Do you replace the string or put new serving?
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I would have the service center look at it first to see if somethings wrong .then go from there at least you will know if a polishing is needed. But yes honestly after 100 to 150 shots the stock micro string serving was really pretty rough on my micro with a tt trigger.a custom string with a angel majesty serving will do better n not stretch as much.I can change a micro string now in 5 minutes not a big deal to me.you have to remember the average hunter is not like us n dosnt shoot like we do. Some people site the micro in shoot it sight in 30 shots n there good a string is gonna last a long time for them. I have about a hundred shots on my vixen string but its a low poundage bow n wide still looks new
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Sorry ran outta room .yes you need a new string i personally wouldnt bother re serving a string.you got a great high quality bow thats short fast n compact n shoots like a laser unfourtanetly its a string eatin machine. I love mine lbj
buildingandrenovatio

Post by buildingandrenovatio »

check your nocks for rough spots if you nocks get dinged they can cut the serving
Retired United States Airforce

Excalibur Cub
middleton
Barnett Jackel
Barnett Panzer v mod 200 lbs
Horton Tacoma
MK 1501a1(175lbs limb)
MK 150 3c (175lbs limb)
MK120 1c (175lbs limb)
MK180 1c (130 lbs)
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

Here's a shot of the string on the bow after 75 shots. Look familiar to anyone? The fraying started at 58 shots, each subsequent shot pulls the tufts up more and more. Once a strand of the serving material gets worn down enough to show fraying like this I feel like its a risky deal to keep shooting it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

That is totally normal for that many shots as i have experienced in my micro. I would lightly wax it rub it in n take it a little further as long as it didnt start to separate
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Thanks for posting photo. I'll keep an eye out on mine when I'm around those number of shots.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers