Which one to buy??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Michiganhunter

Re: Which one to buy??

Post by Michiganhunter »

I owned an Exomax for several years prior to buying the 380. To me the Exomax was w-i-d-e..Liked the bow but not its width. So I sold it and got a 380. You will not pry that 380 from my cold dead hands. Love everything about it. I did just purchase a 355 for my son and his two sons, my grandsons. But I got what I think was a good deal on it and it will have slightly less cocking effort for the young guys. Otherwise I would have bought my son a 380. To me the 380 is the perfect hunting xbow. JMO.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
SEW

Post by SEW »

sproulman wrote:
savannah wrote:Ok, I previously posted I had it down to the new Micro 355 or the new Bulldog 400 and was going to go with the micro 355. Well I had the chance to handle both side by side and now im back to square 1. The bulldog being 45FPS faster really wasnt too much bigger or any more difficult to handle. I love the compactness of the micro 355 and 355 is pretty darn fast. But the difference in size wasnt too bad. I will be using it for hunting deer and none of my spots are too tight where size is an issue. We have large blinds and open stands. Its comes down to handling, speed, power and balance more then anything. Ultimately here is the dilemma- the 355 feels very good to hold and maneuver with, is obviously lighter and more compact. The new 400 is bigger, but handles well and is 45FPS faster. I certainly cant afford both(or really either for that matter) I dont want to get the 355 and wish I had more speed. I dont want to get the 400 and realize I could have done everything the same with the 355 but had a smaller more compact xbow. I would say the farthest shot I would take after a lot of practice would be 50 yards. What are your thoughts?

Hunting the Buck no way to even think about shooting Buck at 50 yds...To much respect for sport and ethical kill..So now I got that out of my system. :roll: MYSELF I want compact when hunting a Buck..I want light .. Want nice clear scope lighted [TACT -ZONE]..I want as quiet as I can get on noise of bow... SPEED MEANS NOTHING TO ME....BUT speed is what sells because MOST of new crossbow hunters want to take 50/100 yd shots..UNREAL isnt it but that is new hunters I am seeing and most were never any good at deer hunting so they want things EASY..So if you are that type of hunter go for SPEED if not join us ethical hunters that keep our shots below 35 yds and hunt for thrill of getting close to Buck ..Micro 335/355 will shoot out to 50 yds and group well so my choice would still be Micro 355 if me..
Unbelievable!!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Make sure you try out the different models at a local dealer to make sure you are comfortable cocking, shooting and holding the bow.

The Matrix 355, 380, and Bulldog will all go through deer like through a water balloon, and you will not find the arrow in most cases.

Try it before you buy it is the best advice you can get.
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone
Fatboy111

Post by Fatboy111 »

I went with the Bulldog because I felt it was easier to cock. As mentioned, shooting 430+ grain arrows and having the speed is nice. They both are sweet and great shooting crossbows. You can't go wrong with either of them.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

savannah wrote:Sproulman-I made this post for opinions, not lectures. CALM DOWN, CAPS ARE NOT NECESSARY. The opposite of your opinion is that anyone that gets a fast xbow is unethical. It's hard not to take that diatribe personal. I am not new to anything, a kid or anything else. I have been bow hunting for over 15 yrs. Due to shoulder and back problems (service connected) I can't draw heavy pound compound bows anymore. My whole transition to crossbow is because last year drawing 50lbs at about 20 yards I shot a doe in the shoulder and clipped one lung. I finally found the deer days later and the meat was wasted. I felt horrible, because I am an ethical hunter. That's the reason I'm looking to get a crossbow and spend 1000+ dollars on it. The only first it will be for me is a recurve type. Thank you for posting but please be careful throwing out words like easy and ethical not having any idea who your talking to.

I deleted my post because to some it is offensive ..But hunting the Buck for 52 years I know what works and what does not...Yes this is my first crossbow for hunting the Buck so some may say I do not know what I am talking about hunting the Buck with new fast or faster or extreme faster bows..They have their opinion also ...I deleted my post ....

If me I would get the micro 335 package as price is coming down and its SIZE oh sorry for caps is reason I rec this..
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

The 380 is an excellent option as it is a fantastic bow In between both of your choices. That being said I have a new BD 400 as well but will not give up the 380. I wanted the BD so I could shoot 500-600 grn arrows without compromising too much speed. In the end you cannot go wrong with any of the options. Faster means flatter trajectory which spells less margin for error if you are off on your rang/distance estimation.
Trentco1

Post by Trentco1 »

So my question is to you guys
i'm a avid rifle hunter And purchase the micro 315 I also up graded the scope to the teck zone. I want to Do some bow hunting. When they set up the bow for me They replaced the field points with 100 grain and using the Excalibar quills that came with it the guy clocked the quills shooting 327fps is that a good speed?
T
Micro 355
Hawke xb30 pro scope T&T Triger boo force 10 string Zombie slayers 16.5 arrows c/w right helical blazer vanes aluminum nocks or lumenoks
Micro 315
Tact zone scope force 10 string 16" inch executioner arrows aluminum nocks or lumenoks
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Trentco1 wrote:So my question is to you guys
i'm a avid rifle hunter And purchase the micro 315 I also up graded the scope to the teck zone. I want to Do some bow hunting. When they set up the bow for me They replaced the field points with 100 grain and using the Excalibar quills that came with it the guy clocked the quills shooting 327fps is that a good speed?
T
That's great speed. Enough to pass through a moose...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

It was asked above if I would trade my 380 for a Micro 355 ? In my case, No... I have a new 2016 model Micro 335, and a Matrix 380. I feel with the Micro 335 and the Martrix 380 I'm totally covered for any hunting situation I will ever encounter.

I have found the 335 Micro gives me all of the "compactness" necessary and sufficient performance for most situations I encounter while hunting "Spot and Stalk" for Mule Deer, while the 380 gives me 355-365 fps with arrows of 400 gn.and a bit more, and supply the prerformance and penetration potential which I really want in Elk camp.

This is not even observing that I have Matrix 355 , which has proven to be an awesome hunting tool for both my deer and elk hunts. However with the addition of the new 380, I would be willing to sell it now that I have found I can easily handle the draw weights of the 380 @ 260# and the Micro @ 270#). :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
savannah

Post by savannah »

Well I appreciate all the input here, I have made a purchase. While reading posts on here I found a member selling a brand new matrix 380 mad max package for a reasonable price. After much research it appears everyone that has a 380 loves it. I was leaning toward the bulldog 400 for its power but it being a brand new model and the fact the 405 with all its power had some issues I decided the 380 would be a perfect split. When I handled the 380 I had no issues drawing it and it shot very smooth (shot at cabelas). Obviously it has a ton of power. Plus a different member on here had a real picture of the mad max camouflage model and I thought it looked great. Now I'm just waiting for it to come in!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I think you made a good move there, congrats, and happy hunting!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Great choice. You won't be sorry, Congratulations
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

You made a great choice... Good for you.

Now comes more questions as to quality glass, arrows, broadheads, and strings :lol: .... It's gonna' be a great ride, soooo hang on and "Let the Good Times Roll" !! :D

Gene :wink:
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats on your 380!! :D
You will soon learn that nobody can own just one excal...you may do as i did and
" play the field" with several before narrowing it down to two, but one...never!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Cnc

Post by Cnc »

I had the same dilemma. I couldn't decide between the 380 and the new micro 355. I was able to score a brand new 380 for less than $700 and haven't had any regrets at all. I liked the compactness of the micro and probably will buy one in the future. The 380 isn't that much bigger and comfortable to carry. Not to mention packs a hell of a punch. Lol. Good luck with your decision.