Reflex/Hologram Sight on a Crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tim50

Reflex/Hologram Sight on a Crossbow

Post by Tim50 »

Just wondering if anyone has tried one of these sights on their bow? I hunt area's where magnification is really not needed and I like the single point of aim! Any thoughts pro or con?
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: Reflex/Hologram Sight on a Crossbow

Post by Hunt it »

I had a bushnell halo sight, same as eotech on an Exomag for years. Great sight but limited reticle ability for long range. Short 20, 30 and 40 yards ok. I sighted mine dead on for 30 and used hold over/under for shorter or longer. eotech make a 512 Crossbow model that has 3 dots vertical which is nice. If you don't intend to shoot beyond 40 this is bomb proof, light option as they are very compact and batteries last forever.
Tim50

Post by Tim50 »

Thanks for the input...That is what I wanted to hear...my shots are all inside 30-35yds.....
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

They work best with young eyes. :D
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

catclr wrote:Just make sure to look at them first, from the front, at 20 yds. etc., as the cheaper ones give off a glare and can and will spook game.
I've read this posted on here before. Used mine for years and two of my buddies have them mounted on thier turkey shot guns and have never had an issue. If you think about it, the lens on one of these things has less glass than any 32 - 44 mil scope objective lens. It's the glass that gives off glare.
Tim50

Post by Tim50 »

agingcrossbower wrote:They work best with young eyes. :D
There's NOTHING left on me that's young!!
Fatboy111

Post by Fatboy111 »

I have the Eotech products on many guns with no issues. I have their crossbow version on my Bulldog and I like it. I don't shoot over 40 yards so it works very well. They are tough sights which is why I use it for bears and white tails. Good luck with whatever you use.
Tim50

Post by Tim50 »

A fellow I hunt with has been using one of these on his turkey shotgun rig for years with great success. Could just be the difference between brands. His is a Sightron and it done not give off any frontend glare. After hunting yesterday we tested it! Thanks for all the suggestions & input.....I've decided to bite the bullet & try one of these out!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

We have them on our target pistols and too 25 yards I can put 22 cal bullets almost in same holes ...Make sure you get ones with small dots not big dots but if you are hunting deer I see no trouble with bigger dots but for target smaller dots are better...
LoneWolf45

Post by LoneWolf45 »

I have an EOTech XBow on my Micro 335. It is an excellent sight for that little bow.
cedo1974

Post by cedo1974 »

I have a Weaver reflex sight that I use for my handgun...I've tried it on my Micro and can hit 10's between 15-25 yards at the range, so I'm going to try mounting it at a 45 degree angle and use it as a secondary sight. The only cons that I've found is I might lose my dot in direct sunlight (reason for being a secondary sight) and the potential reflection in sunlight...but that can happen with the scope too.
galamb

Post by galamb »

My very first Horton came with a red dot - I was hooked right from the beginning.

My second Horton and my Excalibur had reflexive scopes put on them in short order.

For the past 8 years (I think) I have been using a NCSTAR DB4 reflexive on my crossbow - it's the same scope as marketed by Browning with the different red/green reticles.

I use the 'starburst' reticle - with "my bow/set-up" I have found if I zero the center dot at 25 yards that gives me 15 yards at the top (intersection) and 33 yards at the lower intersection.

I have never had a battery fail on me, but do put in a fresh one at the start of each season. I also use the same set-up on my Turkey shotgun.

I find there is a love or hate with these (scopes) - many wouldn't spit on them. I wouldn't use anything else - but I do hunt deer "close" - can't see more than 30 yards from my stand. So, I'm a "fan".

(unlimited eye relief and not having to have the bow snugged to the shoulder, so you can "contort" and still see the reticle, are what I see as the two best features)

Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

This is the style I am looking for to put on my daughter's shotgun for turkeys and deer. Just trying to decide on brand . Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

Burris makes an excellent shotgun model that holds up to heavy recoil, would work very well on xbow as well.
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

I'm using an eotech 512 on one of my bows with an HHA Optimiser.
Sighted in at 20yds and good out to 70yds so far.
Love it :D