Tiller problem?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kman35ca

Tiller problem?

Post by kman35ca »

Hey first post on here. I've had my 380 for 7 months now. When I first got it I was utterly amazed at the accuracy. This could out shoot some of my rifles at close range. Anyways, I bought the Airbrakes and while installing ended up having a hell of a time with the soft metal screws.finally got them off and installed the Airbrakes. When I installed them I'm pretty sure I over torqued them. Cause I instantly saw the serving was off to the left by about 5/16. It started shooting erratic, so I got a hold of Excal, sent it in they replaced the limbs but when it came back it was still out of whack at 20 yards it was shooting good, but was off quite a bit at long ranges. Anyways I didn't shoot for a while, took it out couple days ago and it was all over the place. At 20 yards It was grouping at about 3-4 inches, with field points adjusted the string height, nothing. Changed waxed strings, checked everything. Everything looks great besides the tiller. I measured from the front bolt to the string and its out by around 1/8. Took a square to the frame and strings and it's definitely out. But Excal already seen this and I'm sure tested it. Also read being out a touch isn't always that bad. Gonna grab some new bolts and field points to rule out everything since I've used the same bolts since I got it and don't have the tools to really check if it's maybe just the bolts. Ok sorry for the novel I wrote, just frustrating as hell. I want this shooting like it did when I first got it...Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Matrix 380
Pretty stock, for now.....
First crossbow
racking up points

Re: Tiller problem?

Post by racking up points »

I don't think tiller being out by 1/8" would cause erratic field point flight at 20y. To measure tiller another way, cock the bow and measure from the limb tip to the centre of the mainframe on both sides, then compare the lengths you measured. If it's out by an 1/8", that would be enough for me to warrant a return.

Have you done a full nut and bolt check? Check every fastener, especially the two that hold the trigger box in the mainframe. You probably have a few screws loose :lol: Small tiller differences won't result in 3-4" groups at 20y with field tips so something else is wrong IMO. Let us know what you find in your bolt check.

Welcome to the forum
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
SEW

Post by SEW »

The above is great advice. Check both the for slight up and down play on the scope rail and see if any of the 4 small external bolts that hold the Rail to the trigger mechanism are loose(4 horizontal bolts). The other two, rup's mentioned ,hold the entire trigger mechanism to the mainframe. Any, or all of the 6 could be loose. First thing to check.
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

My tiller has not been an issue but:
The stock arras that came with my 405 were tack drivers. I Robin Hooded one at 60 yards. I could easily hit the bull at 100 yds. all day long. I bought more Diablos from Amazon and mixed them with my originals and started shooting all over the place. I thought it was me. I was constantly moving the crosshairs in my scope. I did not realize what was going on until I shot under a nice 8 pt. at 12 yds!!! :shock: :evil: :oops:
I thought one of my main frame bolts had gotten loose. I tightened it more (although looking back I don't think it was loose "enough" to cause the problem.)
I numbered each arra (1, 2, 3,..etc.) Each one was hitting at exactly the same (different) spot each time I shot. At 20 yds:
Arra #1 - dead nutz,
Arra #2- high and to the left
Arra #3- low and to the right
Arra#4- bad low.
etc,etc....
My solution was to buy Spynal Tapps from Jerry at SouthShore.
If you are shooting stock arras, you may want to look closer at where each one is hitting if all of your bolts are tight and you get your tiller lined out.
Hope this helps.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Look at the dents in the serving from the latches. It is by far the best indicator of tiller

Some people just like stepping on rakes
kman35ca

Post by kman35ca »

Thanks guys, I'll go over the screws again, check the scope rail. All that. I just ordered some gold tip laser 3 s brand new, 6 of them and I'll see if they group decently. I'll let you guys know the results. Oh ya, where would I get spinal tap bolts from in Canada? What about those custom bolts for the matrix at Wyverns? K thanks again.
Matrix 380
First crossbow
Normous

Post by Normous »

Member Big John located in Canada is your go to guy for the most detailed custom arrows. You can also find him in the Trading Post section.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
kman35ca

Post by kman35ca »

K thanks.
Matrix 380
First crossbow
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

I agree with Normus on the Big John arras. If I was in Canada he would be my go to arra guy. Too many great reviews to count.
Good luck on getting it lined out.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Do the same as crazyhorse. Number each arrow. Then get a sheet of regular printing paper (8.5x11") and make a center bull on it, the smallest you can sight on at your shooting distance.

Then print off a dozen copies. Leftovers are handy later on, so don't worry about being oversupplied.

The take arrow #1 and shoot it three times at the same target. Make note on the target which arrow you used. That will be handy information, later, trust me.

Do the same thing successively with each arrow, using a fresh target and noting on the target which arrow you used.

If you do it this way, you are testing your BOW to see if it can accurately shoot an arrow.

Shooting a bunch of arrows at the same target is maybe testing your arrows, or maybe your bow, or maybe both. You do a whole lot of frustrating shooting before you find out which.

If you get tight groups testing only one arrow per target, you will darned soon determine if your bow is accurate.

After you've determined whether your bow is accurate, sort out which arrows were most accurate and grouped closed to the bull.

Hopefully you will find out that you have an accurate bow, and you will in addition be able to sort your arrows according to their point of impact.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.