Removing matrix limbs for storage

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MickB

Removing matrix limbs for storage

Post by MickB »

Hi guys may be dumb q but is it practical to take limbs on and off a matrix in order to fit in my gunsafe? My state laws changed since last time I owned a crossbow and require secure storage. I'd rather not get a wider safe if I can make do delimbing the crossbow. Having not owned a matrix before not sure if this is possible, or even practical. I assume it would require re-sighting each time as well??
Michiganhunter

Re: Removing matrix limbs for storage

Post by Michiganhunter »

Removing the entire riser leaving the limbs attached to the riser is relatively easy to do and accomplishes almost the same thing as removing the limbs individually from the riser in terms of compacting the entire bow profile. There are just two bolts holding the riser/limb assembly onto the rail. Remove those two bolts and the riser and limbs come off as a unit making the bow very easy to store. The limbs can be removed individually but it is more involved and not necessary to accomplish what you are trying to do. Anytime I remove any component by removing bolts or screws except the quiver I recheck my scope zero.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
MickB

Post by MickB »

Thankyou sir that is an easier solution then and will save me some money replacing my safe if I get the 380 I am looking at. 8)

Also wondered is the changes to zero usually significant when this is done?
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

MickB wrote:Thankyou sir that is an easier solution then and will save me some money replacing my safe if I get the 380 I am looking at. 8)

Also wondered is the changes to zero usually significant when this is done?
Anytime I fly to go on a hunt I leave the riser/limb assembly strung to pack into my bowcase. I always check my zero but haven't found any change in poi...ever....but I still double check. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

My experience with removal of the riser/limb assembly and then reinstalling and checking my zero has been exactly the same as Paul's.
Never had a change in my zero. Its a very robust and repeatable assembly, well designed. I always figure there is a first time for everything and I personally just feel better rechecking after the reinstall but so far never had to resight my bow.
Take care.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

X3, I have never seen a change in POI after removing and putting the assembly back on, but I to will always check it just for verification!!

I would do as Michigan hunter says if you want to store it with the limbs off, this is the most efficient way you can do what your wanting.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Big John

Post by Big John »

X4 Just removing the riser assembly with limbs intact has never changed my poi either. Makes it great to ship in a gun case and still be right on upon arrival.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
MickB

Post by MickB »

Thanks for the replies, so this is in fact the done thing for transporting the bow anyway, that's good news,