Arrow recovery at high speeds hunting?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MickB

Arrow recovery at high speeds hunting?

Post by MickB »

Hi guys wondering what the recovery rate of arrows is after shooting at game with 350+ speeds. Are you 380 hunters generally expecting to recover/extract them?

Reason I ask is deciding between lower or higher power bow.In Aus I might be hunting a dozen hogs a month.(We don't have the variety of trophy animals as north americans have, but we have excesses of certain game which can be taken in high qty)

I am wondering whether something like a 380 would get expensive real fast and whether a slower bow is worth consideration?
xcaliber

Re: Arrow recovery at high speeds hunting?

Post by xcaliber »

Anyone that answers this with particulars is crazy! This really depends on what you have to locate your arrows. I'm talking Lumenoks, Fire Noks, Reflective tape, or Wraps, and the pile of bungle you shot into! I would recommend Lighted nocks, or Reflective Tape. :wink:
[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... o.jpg.html]Image
[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... x.jpg.html]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
MickB

Post by MickB »

Ok thanks so they can be found. also how is damage at the highest speeds. How many are no longer usable?
Brad32

Post by Brad32 »

Hi hope it's not soft ground,because you will be lucky if you get one out of ten back,.
MickB

Post by MickB »

Ok thanks, I appreciate the honesty. I hunt in Rainforest areas, very soft, and some hunting in drier areas out west were the ground is harder. I am assuming a bolt is a 'potential write off' each time its fired then.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

It also depends on whether or not you are elevated or shooting from the ground..

I shot three deer last year from the tree and all were complete pass thru shots from my 380. I'm typically 20' up in a treestand.. I use red Lumenoks on all my arrows , hunting and practicing and have not lost an arrow yet.

On the other hand, I have ruined two broadheads because of the arrow hitting the ground and burrowing up to 9" and hitting rock in the dirt...

This has been my experience, your mileage may vary.. but you cant go wrong with Lumenoks.

Good luck,
Ed
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Has anyone used spray point vrs reflective tape for novice that does not want to crest arrow?I used to just paint my arrows near the vanes with can of paint ..Is there a paint that really sticks out that some of you use on dark carbon arrows ?
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

Hunting from the ground , you will be very lucky to find your arrow no matter if its lighted or glows in the dark, they do not glow in the day lite very well.
If you do find it ,it will probably be cracked or broken.
That's what I find using Matrix 380.
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Pink stands out very well in the woods.... no joke :)
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I've hunted lots of hogs up in Cape York. Hog hunting heaven and yes very hard on arrows. I hunted hogs for 16 days and used 5 doz shafts total using my longbow and many shafts were used over and over.

So from my experience you will fare much better with faster bow as pass through will improve odds of finding shaft and re using it. If a hog hits the brush with shaft sticking out of it you can assume 99.9% of those shafts will snap on brush as hog flees. As mentioned above if you are in swamp then there is good chance of shaft going under ground and therefore lost. I'd source a good supply og cheaper shafts - the Excalibur branded shafts would be good, rather than fling high $$ zombies at hogs. Same goes for broad heads decent reliable is all you need. Save the high end stuff for scrub bulls and buff. Cheers Mate!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

My experience is more of what was already mentioned. Here's another thought though. Have you considered a micro? I'm not sure what arrow length the micro 355 shoots but if 16" arrows are an option this may work for you. Buy full length aluminum shafts (which are 32" long) and cut them in half. This will double your arrows and cut the price in half. I would call them disposable because a game shot animal will most likely be damaged or destroyed. You won't have the added cost of lighted nocks or having to add reflective wraps. BTW, cresting with paint is completely different from a reflective wrap just like regular wraps are different from reflective wraps. I use a 1" reflective wrap either directly behind or in front of my fletching so if I need to replace a damaged fletch I can easily do so. Anyway, that's my thought. A micro and disposable aluminium arrows.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

When hunting from the ground, my recovery rate for arrows is very poor. This was true for my ExoMax and held true this past season with a Micro using Lumenoks. Most of the time I recover the arrow when I'm hunting from a stand. Unfortunately, there is so much rock here that I seldom ever get to reuse a broadhead. Most of the time I can reuse the arrows unless it takes a rock dead on then I'm just recovering pieces.

There are a lot of variables that will determine your recovery success. And just as many that will determine if what you recover will be usable anyway.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: