String break in

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DarkHorse9825

String break in

Post by DarkHorse9825 »

Just wondering how long does it take for the stings to break in. I purchased a 380 a month ago. The string was adjusted at the shop at purchase as it was touching the rubber dampeners. I leave it a couple days and they are touching again. I just adjusted them again two days ago and today they are touching again. I have the bow set up with the string adjusted so they aren't touching the dampener, so I know there will be a little drop in the arrow trajectory,

Is this common for the string to have to be adjusted this many times in a short period of time?
We need a 12-step group for compulsive talkers. They could call it On Anon Anon.
Boomer81

Re: String break in

Post by Boomer81 »

I know with the string that came on my 350LE it stretched a bunch after installing the REDS. Since i had to raise the brace height considerably to clear the bumpers.

I forget how many times i cocked it and let it sit over night. Then uncock it during the day and rinse/repeat. If i remember it was a few days/times at least before it stayed put.

However, with the NEW out of package string. It seems to have barely stretched. The stock string has a bunch of twist to it o get it sitting slightly off the bumpers. Whereas the new out of package string sits way off the bumpers and barely has any twist in it and doesnt seem to be stretching any more...
"Rumble"
Matrix 350LE Treestand Camo

"Ravage"
Micro Mag 340 Mossy Oak Camo
DarkHorse9825

Post by DarkHorse9825 »

Thanks. I'll keep playing with the stockers for now, then look at getting a different string if it is still stretching.
We need a 12-step group for compulsive talkers. They could call it On Anon Anon.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Just a suggestion, if you want a 1/4" gap between the string and bumpers, shorten it to get a 1/2" gap. This will put a little more load on the string and help it settle more quickly. If after 75 shots it's bang on, great. If not adjust from there. It's easier than chasing your brace height.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Boomer 81,

Why did you "rinse' your sting ? :shock: I've never heard of that method. :?

Maybe it's something new and hi-tech? and thats why I've never heard of it as I'm a very low-tech kind of person.
Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Freddyalmost

Post by Freddyalmost »

Factory string stretched like crazy,on my 380.next one out of box,Excalibur,very little?waiting on a custom boo string,we will see
Matrix 380
Diablos with boltcutters
Airbrakes
Tactzone
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

The string stretchin/creepin is mostly the material its made from. The other part is the wax slowly bein squeezed out while shootin it. I have had D97 material still creepin & Dacron material after 7 yrs.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boomer81

Post by Boomer81 »

L. E. Carroll wrote:Boomer 81,

Maybe it's something new and hi-tech? and thats why I've never heard of it as I'm a very low-tech kind of person.
Gene

Lol its just a saying. i didnt mean literally rinse my string. I meant it as "do it over" kind of like when washing your hair.
"Rumble"
Matrix 350LE Treestand Camo

"Ravage"
Micro Mag 340 Mossy Oak Camo
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Boomer81 wrote:

Gene

Lol its just a saying. i didnt mean literally rinse my string. I meant it as "do it over" kind of like when washing your hair.
Phew and I was about to ask what temperature the water hot or cold just joking hahaha
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
DarkHorse9825

Post by DarkHorse9825 »

ihunt wrote:
Boomer81 wrote:

Gene

Phew and I was about to ask what temperature the water hot or cold just joking hahaha
LOL: Fabric Softener or not too.

Thanks for the replies. I just adjusted again today and will see. I did put it about 1/2 away from dampeners this time.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Set it in a warm location and it will speed up the wax removal process . Outside on a warm day helps ALOT . Better to be doing it now instead of a few days before the season opens .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yep, set it a bit too high, and let it settle in. As long as you twust the right way to keep tightening the serving, you'll be OK. If the string starts kinking up, then I would swap it out.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
DarkHorse9825

Post by DarkHorse9825 »

Well the string was perfect today. about a 1/4 inch away from the damper. Out sighting in and after 14 or so shot the string broke where it wraps around the limb end. :x I've only had t his bow for about a month now and have put approximately 50 arrow through it on this string.

So my question is this now. At the time the spring broke I had just launched an arrow. The arrow made it to the target, but struck about an inch or two lower than where it should have. With this should I be concerned about damage to the limb?
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Did the string break or did the serving around the loop break? To check your limbs, run a cottonball along all the edge and see if it catches anywhere. Do this with the limbs at rest and loaded. I haven't heard of this happening before yet alone so quickly. Use the cottonball method to check the limb tip groove where the string sits as well. I know this can be so frustrating, especially when you're forking out some big coin but I can assure you that whatever the issue is you'll be made whole again. I'm sure that's not making you feel better at the moment but once you sort this out you'll love how accurate and solid these bows are. On the up side, you'll have plenty of time to get fixed up before hunting season. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
DarkHorse9825

Post by DarkHorse9825 »

Thanks. It broke at the serving around the limb. I will try the cotton ball tonight. I'm also looking at Boo strings along with another set from Excalibur. I read a few things about Boo's strings and they seem good.

Unfortunately Turkey season is upon me now, although it would take much to get me out there anyway.