trail cam theft

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sledhead

trail cam theft

Post by sledhead »

I'm sure that i'm not the first to have equipment stolen in the bush but after 4 trail cams I have to do something. Moving to different hunting grounds is not an option as I'm lucky to have permission where I am so I had come up with a solution. I'm planning on placing old non operational trail cams in suspicious areas and having another blacklight cam pointed at it from a well concealed vantage point. I'm thinking that once the culprit takes it he wont be looking for another in that vicinity. My issue is that I'm not sure where to find old broken trail cams, I've posted on advertising sites with no bites. Maybe the manufacturer or their warranty depot?
cdn.redneck

Re: trail cam theft

Post by cdn.redneck »

I don't think your issue is finding old broken one, it's more that you put a 3rd and a 4th there. for what it's worth.... now you made someone happy for sure.
I got a tree stand stolen once, they cut the tree to get it as it was locked, I never left another one in the wood. Unless you own the land, don't leave stuff there or it will be gone.
Leupold crossbones
Mathews Monster 7.0
Black Eagle - Carbon Express - Easton

Post by newbie »

You think owning the land will stop them from taking your stuff? :lol:
i dont think people that steal our stuff really care who owns it.
If i had a broken one i would be using it on my familys land.... lost 2 cams there and 2 stands.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

I own my land but that doesn't stop trespassers. I have 8 cameras out, all in lock boxes W/3" lag bolts & masterlock cables. Never lost one and caught a lot of trespassers. If I get someone's pic on it , it won't ever be in that place again. I lost a ladder stand that was cable locked to a tree, but I got him on camera he didn't see. he was my next door neighbor's son. Word has gotten around locally about cameras so business has been kinda slow last couple of years. :D Sometimes I put cameras up high, I'll stand on my mule and put it high as I can reach. People are like deer they don't look up much.
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
Bones

Post by Bones »

Haven't lost one yet. but I do put a label maker sticker on it ... "Your being watched" summer it's mostly the farmer's grand kid's on their four wheeler's .
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Like deer man, I put my cameras at least 8ft up and never on a main trail, and I usually have two in the same area, so they better steal both or they get caught.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

Yep, I put them in pairs also. Another idea I haven't tried yet is put a dummy antenna on them and put " your picture was sent to my phone"
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am sorry to hear of the thieft, i like you have had mine stole off my land. You have to set anudder cam up in the trees to watch the broken one!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

You can also spend a little bit more money and get a cam like the Spypoint model that has a small receiver that is separate from the cam,it receives every pic your cam takes but you can hide the tiny receiver anywhere within 100 yards Of the camera think it is. So if someone walks up to your camera, you will have a pic of that person on your receiver that's hidden.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Fatboyxc

Post by Fatboyxc »

So far I've been lucky for the most part regarding trail cams. I've got 2 Moultrie mini cams & both are in lock boxes with a cable lock. That being said I've had a ground blind & a tree stand stolen in the last 2 years, since then all my stands are either cable locked to the tree or the wood one's I've built are screwed to the trees.

In my opinion if its an option lock boxes & cable locks for trail cams are worth the money!
Growing Old.....Standard
Growing Up.....Optional

Just the toys are more expensive!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

sledhead wrote:I'm sure that i'm not the first to have equipment stolen in the bush but after 4 trail cams I have to do something. Moving to different hunting grounds is not an option as I'm lucky to have permission where I am so I had come up with a solution. I'm planning on placing old non operational trail cams in suspicious areas and having another blacklight cam pointed at it from a well concealed vantage point. I'm thinking that once the culprit takes it he wont be looking for another in that vicinity. My issue is that I'm not sure where to find old broken trail cams, I've posted on advertising sites with no bites. Maybe the manufacturer or their warranty depot?

They see your camera inmy area of pa,they put ontheir turkey net over face and you will see nothing but camo blob...Evenif you get pic no magistrate is going to arrest etc...
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Bullzeye wrote:You can also spend a little bit more money and get a cam like the Spypoint model that has a small receiver that is separate from the cam,it receives every pic your cam takes but you can hide the tiny receiver anywhere within 100 yards Of the camera think it is. So if someone walks up to your camera, you will have a pic of that person on your receiver that's hidden.

nice idea BUT they will say they did not steal it..On privateland it would help but not on publicland..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

deerman41 wrote:I own my land but that doesn't stop trespassers. I have 8 cameras out, all in lock boxes W/3" lag bolts & masterlock cables. Never lost one and caught a lot of trespassers. If I get someone's pic on it , it won't ever be in that place again. I lost a ladder stand that was cable locked to a tree, but I got him on camera he didn't see. he was my next door neighbor's son. Word has gotten around locally about cameras so business has been kinda slow last couple of years. :D Sometimes I put cameras up high, I'll stand on my mule and put it high as I can reach. People are like deer they don't look up much.

NOW YOU HAVE GREAT IDEA..Camera makers should make cameras that tilt so you can mount them high on tree..GREATIDEA..
DanO

Post by DanO »

I gave up on cameras. I had a $170 camera swiped last fall. The guy came back three more times (based on tracks in the snow) over the next two months to see if I would put out another camera. I'll hunt the old-fashioned way rather than worry about my cameras.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Tom

Post by Tom »

sproulman wrote:
deerman41 wrote:I own my land but that doesn't stop trespassers. I have 8 cameras out, all in lock boxes W/3" lag bolts & masterlock cables. Never lost one and caught a lot of trespassers. If I get someone's pic on it , it won't ever be in that place again. I lost a ladder stand that was cable locked to a tree, but I got him on camera he didn't see. he was my next door neighbor's son. Word has gotten around locally about cameras so business has been kinda slow last couple of years. :D Sometimes I put cameras up high, I'll stand on my mule and put it high as I can reach. People are like deer they don't look up much.

NOW YOU HAVE GREAT IDEA..Camera makers should make cameras that tilt so you can mount them high on tree..GREATIDEA..
There is allready cameras out there that can be positioned any way you want, but that means it is easier for animals or birds to change your positioning when the touch it.

If I ever wanted to position my camera at a differet angle, I just postion something behind it like a shim (small branches) then tighten my securing devices.

The suggestion of having a fake rubber antenna really does work. Along with a lable or sticker saying their picture has been transmitted to a secure location and if the camera is stolen, you will prosecute the theft.

In an area where there is a high probability of a theft, I will mount a camera higher out of the line of sight, which also makes it harder to see, but more difficult to steal. The different angled pictures does give you a nice change of views in pictures.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]