correct distance between bumper and string at rest

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

a_mart

correct distance between bumper and string at rest

Post by a_mart »

Hello Gang,
I'm new to the forum, and a new owner of a Matrix 350 LE. I bought REDS and put them on today. The bumpers are about 18mm or 3/4 of an inch from the strings when the bow is at rest. This seems to far to me... Any advice?
a_mart

Re: correct distance between bumper and string at rest

Post by a_mart »

BTW I did get the 7006 set for Matrix not the 7008 set.
Boo

Post by Boo »

You want to experiment a bit with different distances, but start with a 1/4" gap between bumper and string. Best accuracy should be using 1/4".
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boomer81

Post by Boomer81 »

Speaking as an owner of a 350le, that string will stretch a ton before it settles in. So 3/4" away now will be touching by tomorrow lol but once it settles in, i try to get around 1/4" as well. But i plan on trying closer/farther as well and see what it likes better with 150gr heads on the diablos.
"Rumble"
Matrix 350LE Treestand Camo

"Ravage"
Micro Mag 340 Mossy Oak Camo
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Boomer and A-Mart, if you have not already tried one, you would be well served to part with the stock strings and try a Flemish string from one of our long-standing Flemish string makers. :D your strings will creep less and you'll experience less noise/vibration. PM me if you'd like to try one, I just might have one I could pass along.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

High Performance Flemish strings are great... but unfortunately not as forgiveable in the event of a dreaded dry-fire...

Before I put custom low stretch strings on my higher draw weight bows with matrix or Micro length limbs, I outfit them with ADF ( anti dry fire ) scope bases... I consider the ADF feature, along with the bumpers as "cheap insurance" to protecet my investment in my bow, my safety as the shooter, and the safety of those who may be standing nearby in the event of a dry fire and any dammage that could result. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

L. E. Carroll wrote:High Performance Flemish strings are great... but unfortunately not as forgiveable in the event of a dreaded dry-fire...

Before I put custom low stretch strings on my higher draw weight bows with matrix or Micro length limbs, I outfit them with ADF ( anti dry fire ) scope bases... I consider the ADF feature, along with the bumpers as "cheap insurance" to protecet my investment in my bow, my safety as the shooter, and the safety of those who may be standing nearby in the event of a dry fire and any dammage that could result. :wink:

Gene
When the endless loop strings were made of Excel, I'd have agreed with your statement Gene. But the stock strings aren't made of Excel anymore, it's D97...so there isn't much forgiveness built into those strings. Almost every model draws above 220# and with the newer material, a dry fire with or without a Flemish string, is still a potentially damaging event. But the Guardian ADF is cheap insurance and I recommend them on all bows. I even have one on my wife's Matrix 310.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

I'm in the same boat as Booner with my 350LE. ... the string is stretching on me alot so I've been adjusting it everytime it creeps back to touching the reds... leave it at 3/4 cuz I bet it will be touching reds soon enough...
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

every Matrix I own from 330 to 405 I maintain mine between 3/4" and 1" from the riser rail seam, I never worry about the bumpers. I have never replaced a set either.

Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
kysdad

Post by kysdad »

On my 350, I'm currently breaking in 2 custom strings from members on this forum and have a 3rd one on the way. Like everyone else has stated, I keep mine a 1/4" off the bumpers or 3/4 - 1" off the seam. I am still bringing my string changer outside with me during shooting sessions as I am still getting movement from the new strings but hey that's the fun part about breaking in strings...I shoot them in :)
Matrix 350 LE
Spynal Tapps
Spitfires