Oh yeah! She's here (and a couple questions)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paprof

Oh yeah! She's here (and a couple questions)

Post by paprof »

Sooo...after a long wait and lots of debating...

My micro 335 (Number 17, because someone somewhere wrote that in black marker on one of the limbs) showed up a couple of days ago. She joins the Equinox in the hunting shed.

I am impressed with Number 17's weight, slender shoulders, and trim figure (wait am I talking about a crossbow here??? :twisted: ) The draw # is not as bad as I'd thought because of the short distance.

Spent a couple hours tonight putting her together and adding the air brakes. A couple of questions:

1) Where to mount my level? Where do you guys put em? I never put one on before.

2) I got her a Hawke XB1 as her first present from me. It has the dial-a-speed...what is the arrow fps with the stock quills and bolcutters? Or anyone know where I can find it.

Thanks guys! Psyched to get to know my new bow.
Boomer81

Re: Oh yeah! She's here (and a couple questions)

Post by Boomer81 »

I bought a weaver mount bubble level that sticks out from under the scope. Easy to transition from looking through the scope to checking level.
"Rumble"
Matrix 350LE Treestand Camo

"Ravage"
Micro Mag 340 Mossy Oak Camo
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Forget the " Speed Ring " as a real reliable referance to preset your speed...

Site in percisely at 20 yards using the main cross hair and a good solid shooting bench.... After getting it " nutts on ", take your target out to 40 yards. Turn your speed dial to aprox 315 fps as your stock quills and 150 gn boltcutters will be very very close to 400 grains, which on my Micro go thru the crono between 315 and 320 fps...

Hold the 40 yd. crosshair, ( the one regulated to 40 yards ) which is the 2nd one below the main one ( the one you first set at 20 yards ) and shoot one arrow... Adjustment can then accurately be made by turning the speed ring up or down to bring POI to the exact aiming point elevation wise, at 40 yards.... If your arrow is high (above the target) turn your speed ring up, to say 325 fps and shoot again... if below the target, turn it down too say 310 and try again....only make these adjustments with the speed ring... DO NOT re-adjust the main crosshairs for elevation changes after setting them for 20 yards...

You may see a slight need for windage adjustment at 40 yards if there is no noticable breeze and thats fine and often necessary... Once your dialed in at 40 yards, tape your speed ring in place if it has no set screw. However, I think your Hawke may have a set screw on the "speed ring" that can be set ( but not too tight) :wink:

At this point, your basically done... and only need conformation shots at 30, 50, and possibly 60 yards too confirm.

I hope this was "clearer than mud" so you can see what I was trying to explain and of some help to you.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

My hat is off to you that is an impressive work over, love the trigger.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
paprof

Post by paprof »

Thanks L.E. Carroll, I am going to print that up for when I sight her in the next few days.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I use stick on level bubbles and mount them on the riser. I shoot right handed so I mount the level on the left side. I have both Excalibur level bubbles and Cir Cut archery level bubbles.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.