Has anyone checked the draw weight?
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
Tim50

Re: Bulldog 400 Chronograph Results

Post by Tim50 »

Back in the day when Excal's were "bulletproof" these conversations rarely took place. We talked about which arrow/broadhead combination works best...which string to use before this obsession with speed! More speed more trouble! No one is ever satisfied. I do agree that if you pay for 400fps that is what you should get. Even if it is with a 350gr arrow! I personally would NEVER refer to an arrow I shot as a "quill"!! LOL Times certainly do change! I guess the deer in Pennsylvania don't know I'm shooting 290-300fps. Why even go out? :lol:
wapster

Post by wapster »

I don't see how you can call the Bulldog 400 a "turkey"? To date we have had ZERO limb failures! We have also received rave reviews for this new crossbow from many users so although I do understand your frustration with the issues you've had I don't think its fair to rate the crossbow as having a poor resale value.

When you assemble the new items I would be interested to hear how it shoots.

Thanks,

Peter

I think the thing about zero limb issues on the new riser and limbs is about to change...

Peter..could you pm me your phone,I need to call u tomorrow..
scope422

Post by scope422 »

Kinda, surprised by this whole thread. It's like the whole IBO rating system for compound bows. It's just a reference point for the bows performance. Different variables will affect results. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Bulldog if I had the funds to do it. Just my 2 cents, I'll step back onto the sideline now.
Matrix 355
Raid 335
Arrows - Yes
Broadheads - Sharp ones
Tim50

Post by Tim50 »

Excal states 350gr at 400fps. If you go heavier it will be slower but if you are not hitting the numbers with the company specs it will only go down hill from there. You should get "close" to what you pay for! Why post any specs at all if there is no baseline.
Boomer81

Post by Boomer81 »

Everyone seems to be questioning the speed quoted by excal.... but they are all using arrows that are more than 350gr like it was tested with.

How about you guys complaining shoot some 350gr setups like excal did to get their 400fps and see how close you are then?

None of the "my 380 shoots 412gr so and so fast and the 400 only shoots the same arrows slightly faster but not in the same relation..."

Please post speed data from your tests using the 350gr setup and then we can really see what is going on :)
"Rumble"
Matrix 350LE Treestand Camo

"Ravage"
Micro Mag 340 Mossy Oak Camo
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Got to give a little credit for the micros .......most seem a little faster than advertised . This is what anthonys saying ...getting something a tadd better than advertised will certainly sell by word of mouth .It might take longer but worth it. Lets ask vw how their emissions program is overachieving lol
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
steven in England

Post by steven in England »

Boomer,
Mine was tested with a 350 grain, the exact combination of arrow and point Excalibur used. The speed is relative anyway, when you put the M380 through the chronograph it should always be slower than a Bulldog using the same arrows no matter the weight. But other people are reporting that their M380 is the same or faster than the Bulldog. I am not worried about the speed, but if you market it at 400fps with a 350 grain arrow then that's what it should do. We need a larger sample test from owners and Excalibur to be sure. My gut instinct is most of the Bulldogs will be slow.
Steven
Steven in England
Moon

Post by Moon »

It seems that the constant speed,speed,speed on forums by the speed chasers has been successful in brainwashing lots of folks, including now the average crossbow hunter that previously was more interested in fit, feel, smooth shooting, durability and ease of maintenance. During the last 12 years I've killed deer with crossbows that ranged from 139 fps (medieval) to 380 fps. The most rewarding for me by far was the slowest bow kill and that deer died equally to the one killed by the 380 fps bow. It looks as if the the challenge of archery is getting swept aside for ease of kill. Too bad, IMHO.
Been there Done that
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Moon wrote:It seems that the constant speed,speed,speed on forums by the speed chasers has been successful in brainwashing lots of folks, including now the average crossbow hunter that previously was more interested in fit, feel, smooth shooting, durability and ease of maintenance. During the last 12 years I've killed deer with crossbows that ranged from 139 fps (medieval) to 380 fps. The most rewarding for me by far was the slowest bow kill and that deer died equally to the one killed by the 380 fps bow. It looks as if the the challenge of archery is getting swept aside for ease of kill. Too bad, IMHO.

Very well said moon...

I have been having a blast shooting and customizing my Micro 315. It's all those things you mentioned and then some. Now what to do with the Micro 335 and 355? :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

My gut instinct is most of the Bulldogs will be slow.
That fact is with every model we have ever made some go faster than advertised and some go slower than advertised but they should be close. Our limbs are all hand made and can vary, that's why speeds are never exactly the same. Until recently we always advertised our speed as "up to 400 fps", I wish we still did that. For us to guarantee every crossbow will do exactly the published speed is difficult if not impossible. How many get the advertised gas mileage on their vehicle? There is no doubt that a product should perform as advertised and we have always tried our best to do that.

But, if somebody has a crossbow that they feel is shooting much too slow we can work with you to get it shooting closer to the speed.

Peter
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Poor peter now dealing with another soap opera episode. My wife promised blazing fast speed when new now has gone from bulldog speed to a vixen oh well im keeping her shes a good cook and mom Tell em at least our bows dont slow down with age .lol
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boomer81

Post by Boomer81 »

steven in England wrote:Boomer,
Mine was tested with a 350 grain, the exact combination of arrow and point Excalibur used. The speed is relative anyway, when you put the M380 through the chronograph it should always be slower than a Bulldog using the same arrows no matter the weight. But other people are reporting that their M380 is the same or faster than the Bulldog. I am not worried about the speed, but if you market it at 400fps with a 350 grain arrow then that's what it should do. We need a larger sample test from owners and Excalibur to be sure. My gut instinct is most of the Bulldogs will be slow.
Steven

Sorry Steven i see now that your setup was the same and shooting slower. Have you tried chronying it with different brace heights to see if maybe that is hindering your speed?
"Rumble"
Matrix 350LE Treestand Camo

"Ravage"
Micro Mag 340 Mossy Oak Camo
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Poor peter now dealing with another soap opera episode. My wife promised blazing fast speed when new now has gone from bulldog speed to a vixen oh well im keeping her shes a good cook and mom Tell em at least our bows dont slow down with age .lol
:lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, that made me laugh!
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

longbow joe wrote:Poor peter,, My wife promised blazing fast speed when new now has gone from bulldog speed to a vixen oh well im keeping her shes a good cook and mom Tell em at least our bows dont slow down with age .lol
My wife didn't have a choice when we got married with speed on my part, I always been fast,,, as time has gone by i just keep gett'n faster,,,,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!