Bulldog 400 Chronograph Results

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mchurch

Re: Bulldog 400 Chronograph Results

Post by mchurch »

Woodys installed it for me when I bought it.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Joshuaoxip wrote:Hi All,

I would like to welcome our newest member - TUGc_Bulldog - to the wonderful world of TUG.

Well that's new. The spammer is now openly admitting that he's a wanker
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Highcountry

Post by Highcountry »

What was the remedy for that situation? I am working with Peter now on a similar situation with my crossbow I'm only getting 385 feet per second out of a bulldog 400 with the highest deflection limbs Excalibur makes just curious what they did for you?
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Highcountry wrote:What was the remedy for that situation? I am working with Peter now on a similar situation with my crossbow I'm only getting 385 feet per second out of a bulldog 400 with the highest deflection limbs Excalibur makes just curious what they did for you?

With what weight arrow?

With a 387 gr arrow I'm getting 364 fps with my BD400. (with airbrakes, Dr S silencers and bumpers)
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
Highcountry

Post by Highcountry »

Bulldog 400 with a 351.2 grain Arrow I've tried everything from brace height to new strings nothing works. Sent the limbs out they are the highest deflection excalibur makes for this bow. 385fps out of my chronograph and 384 fps at local shop.
SEW

Post by SEW »

BD400 : 397g arrow 369'/sec with factory string(99g) and the relatively weak limbs. No Air Brakes or any other add on that slows the bow.
Ldz
Location: CT ( probably the worst state to be a xbow enthusiast )

Post by Ldz »

Highcountry wrote:What was the remedy for that situation? I am working with Peter now on a similar situation with my crossbow I'm only getting 385 feet per second out of a bulldog 400 with the highest deflection limbs Excalibur makes just curious what they did for you?
This absolutely amazes me. What will 15 more fps do for you other than make you have to find a different issue to be picky with. Put the crony away and pound the bag son. Let Peter work on some legitimate problems. Even if he gets you a set that shoots 400 you will not even notice a difference. Seriously. What's the big deal with it being minutely slower than advertised ?

I shouldn't just single you out HC. I just can't understand the whole obsession with fps. I guess that's just me. I would much rather spend my time with my bow doing something constructive. Instead of chasing five yards you could be honing your skills.

That's how the future is going to be. A lot of fast bows with no one able to operate them.
Highcountry

Post by Highcountry »

Their claim to fame on this bow was 400 fps why even advertise speed then. Bulldog 380 $1099. Bulldog 400 $1299. Because of the speed the price goes up. Its like buying a truck you buy a V8 and your only getting the performance of a V-6. I get what you're saying the draw for me to this bow was the speed that was advertised if it's not a big deal make the bows all the same price because the Bulldog 380 & bulldog 400 are essentially the same bow except for one thing "SPEED"
Ldz

Post by Ldz »

They advertise that number because the industry forces them too. First of all it's an unrealistic number because no one is going to be using arrow that light. I'm sure you didn't buy this to be a target bow so do you hunt with a 350gr arrow? And neither does the majority if not everyone that bought one of these.

I'm not saying that your wrong. I just don't understand why it is an issue. It is so minor. If it shot 15 over you could make the same argument but you wouldn't. I promise you those five extra yards will do nothing to enhance the performance of the bow or your experience while using it.

What kind of performance issues are you having because your 351gr arrow is traveling at 385fps instead of 400? Are you noticing an increase of .020 of drop?

Did you read this whole 8 month old thread that you resurrected to gripe in? If not then do. You will see that Peter explains that while some might be right on a lot of the models trend off the fictional number. Most higher because I'm sure they pad that direction to avoid this crap. If it is really bothering you I'm sure they would let you trade for one of the higher trending models.
Ldz

Post by Ldz »

Highcountry wrote:Their claim to fame on this bow was 400 fps why even advertise speed then. Bulldog 380 $1099. Bulldog 400 $1299. Because of the speed the price goes up. Its like buying a truck you buy a V8 and your only getting the performance of a V-6. I get what you're saying the draw for me to this bow was the speed that was advertised if it's not a big deal make the bows all the same price because the Bulldog 380 & bulldog 400 are essentially the same bow except for one thing "SPEED"
Take a closer look. I'm sure the difference in price is mostly because of the cheaper finish and nothing at all because of the advertised speed.
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

I work hard for my money . If I go and put a wad of cash on a bow that's advertised at 400 fps , bottom line that's what I feel I should get . No quibbling and no excuses.anything else is just wrong. .
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
SEW

Post by SEW »

I have a M380,405 and a BD400. I specifically asked for and bought the highest deflection extra set of limbs I could get. Then tested those limbs and a 99g(extremely light) string on each of my xbows and used 3 different wt arrows with all 3 xbows. At 351gs , there was exactly 25'/sec between the 380 & 405. All mods(Air Brakes, DR Stirrup limb silencers, etc) were off of all 3 xbows. Best I remember, 379 & 404. The BD400 was 384. With 351 and 397g arrows the BD was 5'/sec faster than the M380 and 20'/sec slower than the 405. However, as expected (due to draw length), with a 487g arrow was 7-8'/sec faster out of the 400 vs the 380 and ~17'/sec slower than the 405.
It'll take some unbelievable limbs and brace height to get 350g/400'/sec out of the BD400. Or a little rail lengthening.
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

Highcountry wrote:Their claim to fame on this bow was 400 fps why even advertise speed then. Bulldog 380 $1099. Bulldog 400 $1299. Because of the speed the price goes up. I get what you're saying the draw for me to this bow was the speed that was advertised if it's not a big deal make the bows all the same price because the Bulldog 380 & bulldog 400 are essentially the same bow except for one thing "SPEED"
Speed is not why the price goes up!... Your extra $ goes to the purchase of a full camo rail, full camo riser, and the good quiver/bracket system.

I know you would like 400FPS...But BD400 is JUST a name. The sticker on the side of your bow will say "Up To" 400fps.

I always thought I would be caught-up in the FPS myth, because I have a chronograph, and I love to see those big numbers light-up...but within the first few minutes of having my Matrix 380, I Robin Hooded one of the factory arrows :mrgreen:

This so impressed me that I bought a 2nd M380..the Lynx snow camo. And to this day I have not chronoed either bow. Plus where on earth could you buy a 350gr arrow that shoots well at these speeds??? NOT gonna happen. :D

I spent the extra dollar$ on the full camo 380 because the half camo job on the other bows is just so Fugly to me!!

Even though I love velocity, I didn't buy the M405. Simple math tells me that a few extra fps is a wash at the target. I might fold and have to buy a 405 anyway :shock:

If you'll just put that chrono away and shoot your bow...you will have a good time and be very pleased with your bow.

Now get out there and show us some pictures of your GREAT bow in it's natural environment...maybe even some groups at 100 yards or so. :mrgreen:

Last edited by MTBighorn on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Highcountry wrote:Bulldog 400 with a 351.2 grain Arrow I've tried everything from brace height to new strings nothing works. Sent the limbs out they are the highest deflection excalibur makes for this bow. 385fps out of my chronograph and 384 fps at local shop.
If nothing works I suspect the chronograph used is not calibrated properly and this noted variation is often the cause of unadvertised speed numbers. Often the shop chronograph is not the best quality and speeds recorded may vary between models, age, lighting levels, battery quality, conditions, calibration, etc.

Read this :copy /paste
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=65322
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I have full understanding of the speed numbers of these bows. I know 15-20 fps won't make a huge difference in the scheme of things. However, if I'm buying a bow with an advertised speed I fully expect it to achieve that speed (or very close to it). I would be perfectly happy with a 'Bulldog 385' or a 'Bulldog 365'. I simply haven't heard of anyone having achieved the advertised speeds on the bulldog models. If I bought a V8 Mustang I wouldn't expect to get a V6 Mustang.....just saying.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.