Bulldog 400 Chronograph Results

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boomer81

Re: Bulldog 400 Chronograph Results

Post by Boomer81 »

flhtcuse wrote:by wildcatter » Wed May 11, 2016 6:33 am

My wife didn't have a choice when we got married with speed on my part, I always been fast,,, as time has gone by i just keep gett'n faster,,,,,, :wink:

LOL. On the bright side it leaves you more time for hunting unless your bow suffers from premature firing! :lol: :lol:
He can get some ADF cream lol
"Rumble"
Matrix 350LE Treestand Camo

"Ravage"
Micro Mag 340 Mossy Oak Camo
Moon

Post by Moon »

Back to the Bulldog's semi bullpup design :wink: I think it should be the standard configuration going forward, including Micros. Shorter bow, virtually the same speed.
Been there Done that
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Boomer81 wrote:
flhtcuse wrote:by wildcatter » Wed May 11, 2016 6:33 am

My wife didn't have a choice when we got married with speed on my part, I always been fast,,, as time has gone by i just keep gett'n faster,,,,,, :wink:

LOL. On the bright side it leaves you more time for hunting unless your bow suffers from premature firing! :lol: :lol:
He can get some ADF cream lol
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
steven in England

Post by steven in England »

First of all I would like to apologise to Peter for making a rash statement about thinking most Bulldogs would be slow. I don't have any data to back that up. I would also like to thank Peter for having our backs when it comes to issues. That's what makes Excalibur the best.
Anyway, I think most of us are guilty when it comes to speed (I am talking about crossbows) :oops: . There are very few people go with the slowest bow a manufacturer makes and sticks with it. Even people with the slower bows tend to also have a faster one. I think most go middle of the road and the fastest. If it were not true manufacturers would not push for speed. I have an old Vixen with light limbs that probably has a draw weight of a 100lb, it has a blazing speed of 240fps, but, is great for target shooting, however, I also have pretty much all the other bows Excalibur make. I respect whatever a person wants out of a crossbow, whether that be an easy cocking slower bow or the fastest bow on the block. We will never compete with compounds for easier cocking and fast speeds. But, I gave up compounds 17 years ago because I wanted the KISS bow from Excalibur and have never looked back. Nobody wants to sacrifice reliability for speed, but, if we can push for both, why not go for it.
Steven
Steven in England
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

First of all I would like to apologise to Peter for making a rash statement about thinking most Bulldogs would be slow.
No apology required Steven. The whole idea of this forum for us to discuss crossbows, performance is always a concern especially with the fast models. This discussion is not unique to just Excalibur crossbows but archery in general. I know our guys in Eugene at Bowtech engage in the same discussion with their fast models and with compound bows things get even more complicated. As you said, everybody wants something different and that's why we make so many models.

One thing for sure, archery enthusiasts are very passionate about their chosen hobby. Everybody has opinions and discussions like this help people learn and express thoughts.

That's why this forum is so awesome!

Peter
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

One thing for sure, archery enthusiasts are very passionate about their chosen hobby. Everybody has opinions and discussions like this help people learn and express thoughts.
That's why this forum is so awesome!

Peter
AGREE!
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

From reading actual user feedback on the bulldog, it doesn't look like it lives up to the advertising and people's expectations. It basically shoots like a matrix 380 with a bullpup design, and the trigger is worse than the 380. Some users reported bolts being the wrong size and loose from the factory on the bow?

It is not as fast as the mega 405, so where does that leave it? It's like a matrix 380 but with a worse trigger? what?

I have a 355, my buddy has a 380, we're not going near the bulldog based on user feedback because there is no reason to. When you are asking people to spend around $1000 on a crossbow it has to be phenomenal and deliver in terms of advertising and performance. At this pricepoint, there are no excuses. We are paying top dollar for the best, so we must receive the 'actual' best.
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone
SEW

Post by SEW »

I'm in the middle of working up an extensive comparison of the M380, M405 and the BD400. The BD400 is in between my 380 & 405 speed wise . It's ahead of both in design, IMO. Both the Matrix bows have TTs so can't compare triggers.
My impression so far is that the BD 400 is a step up from the Matrix series.
ROGER THAT

Post by ROGER THAT »

Seat Of The Pants Review Of The Bulldog 400

After Two Days Of Shooting The Bulldog Along Side Shot For Shot Against My 405 I Believe The 405 Will Be My Back up Bow.

Again The Trigger Has A Long Pull To IT But I'm Getting Used To it Can I Live with It Yes (I Love The Stock Trigger On The 405) I Found My Self Saying As I Was Squeezing The Trigger On The Bulldog That It Should Have Gone Off Already :lol: :lol: :lol: Once I get Thru Turkey Season (My Permit Ends Tomorrow) The Bulldog Will Be My Primary Bow.

Its Narrower Then The 405 And Seems to Send Arrows Just As Deep In To My Target (405 Shooting a 422 Grain Arrow, Bulldog Shooting A 388 Grain Arrow 34 Grain Difference )
Over All I'm Happy With It And That's What's Important To Me :D :D :D :D

Roger
>>====>
Work Hard Hunt Harder
Matrix 380 Xtra (Serenity)
Matrix 405 (cwn annwn)
Matrix Bulldog 400 (Acwellen)
Matrix Grizzly (Armel)
Micro 355 (Siofra)
SEW

Post by SEW »

Some velocities.

399.4g arrow
M380 - 352'/sec
M405 - 361(Boo F10/string silencers), 363 (factory string)
BD 400 - 371 (stock string),

353g arrow
BD400 factory string - 382

My Matrix bows have a # of possible speed thieves . Air Brakes, limb silencers, string silencers. I'm considering removing these accessories and seeing what the velocity changes are.
ROGER THAT

Post by ROGER THAT »

Excellent Thanks For The Information For Us Who Are chronograph illiterate
For Now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roger
>>====>
Work Hard Hunt Harder
Matrix 380 Xtra (Serenity)
Matrix 405 (cwn annwn)
Matrix Bulldog 400 (Acwellen)
Matrix Grizzly (Armel)
Micro 355 (Siofra)
Booner

Post by Booner »

Anybody know if the new Micro 355 is making it's advertised speeds?
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Does Excalibur have any plans on improving the bulldog trigger so that it's the same or better than on the 355, 380 and 405?
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

I put a trigger tech in my bulldog
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Was the triggertech an easy installation on the bulldog, since it has the bullpup design with the trigger linkage? :D
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone