How to properly sharpen a broadhead?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kawaboy-zx11

Re: How to properly sharpen a broadhead?

Post by kawaboy-zx11 »

Boo wrote:I'm with Paul, I just replace the blades. My advice to those who wish to sharpen their replaceable blads is to get a good sharpening steel like a Dick and learn how to use it. Nothing finishes an edge like a good steel.
stropping on leather is the best way i have found to finish the sharpening process. i like those blades hair popping sharp! :twisted:

Post by newbie »

i like the strop too. its my 'anything sharp' beat friend. I have a little piece in all my kits.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

newbie wrote:i like the strop too. its my 'anything sharp' beat friend. I have a little piece in all my kits.
Strop with a little bit of Herb's Yellowstone on the rough side of the leather. Scary sharp.

kawaboy - try a little more FOC on your arrows and see if your FPs and RCs don't line up better. I shoot 125gr cats on top of 16" zombie's with 110gr brass inserts from my Micro. All is good.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Drew

Post by Drew »

On Slicks I replace blades. For VPA's, Centaurs, and Simmons I use a bench grinder with 8" cardboard wheels...one with silicon carbide abrasive and the other with stropping compound. Puts an edge on like none other. I suppose you could do the same with the Slick blades, but I'd be wary of holding such a small blade against a spinning wheel.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

On my NAP expandables blades do not feel real sharp to me.I tried sharpening them and it got worst..Years ago a real fine file would put edge on our bear points etc but they were stell etc these replacement blades are not ..So I guess just replacing blades is way to go and for Buck Iwant sharp new blades ...