92 grain brass insert

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mchurch

92 grain brass insert

Post by mchurch »

Who here uses a 92 grain brass insert? I have always used 110 grain. Is there a noticeable difference with fixed heads at longer distances.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
xcaliber

Re: 92 grain brass insert

Post by xcaliber »

That is what I use with 100 grain heads on my Zombie's. No issues, but I only shoot out to 50 yards with the expectation of 2"-3" groups. There is no problem there! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I use an 84 grain out of my vixen with 125 grain points n zombies only because it is a lighter crossbow. I use the 110 brass with the same combo in the other heavier bows. If your thinking your gonna gain massive trajectory at a under 40 yards (realistic) distance its not gonna be that different (maby an inch at 40 yards )i would pick the heavier insert every time for foc and energy .Now if your hunting antelope or shooting long distance thats a different story you can get more anal about drop after 40 yards. Just my opinion others have different theorys its like the age old 30-30. 3006 arguement .From your profile it looks like you have a 405 if i had a 405 i would not be worried about a little weight up front.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

My shots can be really unpredictable here on california. Lots of spot and stalk. It could be 25 yards or 60 yards. There may also be a significant cross wind
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The heavier arrows would be the best choice in that type of hunting in my opinion.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Out of curiosity what do you hunt in california i always find it interesting how others hunt hearing about something other than deer n turkeys is welcomed .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

Wild pigs mostly and those hunts are very pricy. You definitely want gear that will perform
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
Boo

Post by Boo »

You'll lose approx 5 ft/sec but gain guidance, momentum/penetration at longer distances. The gain in flatness of trajectory is minimal. It will nose dive faster at long distances as well.
Some guys will eek out a few ft/sec from a couple of different places and it may be worthwhile depending on your mindset and what you're willing to give up.
For accuracy, the 110 gr insert rules.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I'm a fan of heavy FOC's, so fer me the 110's are what I would use with the .300 inserts, I shoot a lot of Spynal Tapps and always buy the front sleeve installed shafts, gives you about 30 to 40 grains built in FOC, then 55 to 125 grain inserts, your choice. I built these 542 grain 18" hunting Tapps fer the Mad Max last year, unbelievable penetration!! 125 grain inserts with 175 grain broadheads and 22 grains in the rear with the D2 lighted firenocks including the contanment bushing.

The accuracy was steller, these were 50 yards with a 12 O'clock hold on each bulls top orange quadrant! None of them were more than about 5/8" from POA

After having the Mad Max zeroed at 30 yards with these heavy hitters, I took one shot at 70 yards to see if my aiming points would be on at that range even though I don't plan on ever taking a shot out that far. I had to hold center of bull, since the scope had to be set about 2.5X with the 30 yard zero to get 40, and 50 to be zeroed it was a little iffy with the sight picture, I was very happy with fixed blade broadheads.

Just one of the reasons I like heavy arrows with high FOC.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Sorry if my question strays a little bit from the thread but what is considered a good FOC/weight combo?

For example: going by the gold tip calculator, my current setup weighs roughly 406 gr with a 19.04% FOC.

If I increase the weight by switching from 100 Gr points etc to 125 gr points then my new weight will be roughly 430 gr with a 20.71% FOC.

For the "base" arrow setup minus field point/broadhead I'm using 15 1/2" BEE's, 110 gr inserts, Blazer vanes and 39 gr nufletch ignitor nocks.

Do you think the extra weight I.E. the 125 gr point instead of the 100 Gr will be worth it as far as extra penetration and FOC goes?

Figure my max hunting range would be 40 yards
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
Boo

Post by Boo »

The shorter the arrow, the more FOC needed. You're arrow set sounds good.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
galamb

Post by galamb »

FOC is hotly debated by those that even pay attention to it.

Most (mfg's/writers etc) suggest that you want about 15% as "standard or minimal".

From that point on it's really personal preference and observed performance.

I currently shoot 22.5%. I have shot as much as 24% and as little as 17%. At 25 yards my POI was about 3" "lower" with 22.5 compared to 17, but at 22.5 the groups are so tight that I have many an "arrow within an arrow" decorating my rafters in the basement.

So while "in my particular set-up", the greater FOC looks like the trajectory of a "lob ball" compared to less FOC, I was going for the "tightest, most accurate group" (and a tight group 3" to the left of point of aim is not what I consider "accurate" - it better hit where I aim), it produced the results that "I want".

I shoot mostly deer, not chronographs or trajectory charts, so what is important to me may not be important to someone else.

If you are satisfied with your results and your FOC is north of 15% I say use it. If you have time on your hands and like to "tweak" there is many archery supply places with all kinds of inserts, collars, extra weights and more broadheads in varying weights than you can combine in two life times :)
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

You are in good shape with either, I simply prefer a little heavier than most 20 to 23 is usually where I like to be, But I have built arrows with 18% that were tack drivers at 50 yards. I hunt where a weed or small twig could easily be missed on a shot, and the extreme FOC definitely helps in these situations. Those heavies were around 23%
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I'm one of those who prefers 92 grain brass inserts for my Micro 335 and matrix 355 with 125 grn G5 montecs.
I do have some put together with 110 grn brass inserts which are pretty limited to use with my 380 with both 100 and 125 grn fixed blade broadheads.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

I have been in this game only a couple of years and very much consider myself a beginner, with a lot to learn.
That being said, I listened to Jerry's (South Shore) advice and went with the 92 gr. when I ordered my Spynal Tapps. Paraphrasing him that kinda puts me in the middle of the road as far as the FOC is concerned. It gives me a broader range of broadhead weights that I can choose from.
I am currently really liking the VPA 175 gr. 3 blade (thanks Wildcatter! Your reports on it is why I chose to buy some and wow what a broadhead! 8) )
My set up has a total weight of 485 grains.
I plan on testing it out soon at longer ranges, windy conditions, etc. Hopefully this will be the right combination for me.