TT 2 stage with issues/ with UP-DATE

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

L. E. Carroll

TT 2 stage with issues/ with UP-DATE

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I was out trying to dial the speed ring in on my new Gen II Micro 335 with a "New to Me" Hawke XB 30 Compact SR that I bought thru the T/P a short time back..... I found out two things and neither is good.

First the speed ring in the Hawk XB30 SR Compact is defective and neither changes the POI or varies in Magnification when the speed ring is turned ( even from one extreme to the other speed wise.. It was not a new scope but advertized as "Like New, in the Box". Of course no registration papers were included... I sure wish I could remember who I bought it from. However, after the deal was complete and both cash and scope had changed hands, and needing "Space" for more PM's I deleted all messages pretaing to the scope so guess I'll see what can be done with it ? I expect it will result in very little... There went right at $150 down the drain.

Looks like I'll be swithing the Crossbones from the 355 Matrix to the Micro, and then looking for another scope for the 355... I actually felt that with the 2 Hawkes XB30's and the Leupold Crossbones, I would have no need of a back-up scope as all are reported to be of above averge quality. Therefore, I was happy to ( and still am ) "gift" two very nice nearly new, Dead Zones to friends I have made here. Looks like I'll be in the market sometime soon for another scope, but luckily I still have the 3 Excals and two good scopes so not all is lost. :wink: .. Well there is the other issue with the Micro :roll: that you will read about below. :cry:

The second thing I found out is the 2 stage TT I also got thru T/P some time back, but had been saving in the gun safe along with the scope to shoot on this new bow, has a problem. That being in about half the shots taken the latches go back down to the set position after firing rather than staying open to allow for the next arrow to seat and activate the trigger for the next shot.

When this happens, I have to release the partially drawn string against the ADF and pull the trigger to open the latches and allow the string to get past to it to "set" completely and the latches to again close in preperation for the next arrow and subsequent trigger squeeze and "Shot"....... Anyone have any ideas on how this can be remedied as again, I'm not the origional purchaser ?

There again, being rather new to crossbows and all of this, I felt I "Needed" :lol: a TT as everyone had such good thing to say about them.

After spending plenty of time and effort making the latches on my stock Micro smooth and very shiney, I went ahead and bought a TT... Initially I swithed out the stock trigger and did get to shoot the Micro several sessions before this issue occured today.... As before at first all was going well so I gifted my stock but highly polished and crisp trigger to a friend who was in search of a replacement for another if his friends who really needed a better trigger.... NO regrets with that action, As I'm sure somene will advise me on the action to be taken for my TT.

I'm coming to the conclusion that in less I know the seller and feel I can trust them completely, I'll be buying very little " second hand " in my future.

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Fri May 27, 2016 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Normous

Re: TT 2 stage with issues

Post by Normous »

Are you following proper trigger follow thru using the TT? There are plenty of posts on this.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family

Post by newbie »

X2 on Norms suggestion!
Also send Frank an email, im sure he will help you figure it out.
I know Derrick had the same issue and i believe they changed a spring out to a stronger one.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

This is why I will only buy a scope with a transferable lifetime warranty. Leupold and Redfield scopes would have you covered even if it changed hands several times...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Gene, I'm sorry to hear of your bad run of occurrences. Don't be disheartened because the sellers may not have known about or had issues with the trigger or scope. Anyway, both should have the lifetime warranty so my suggestion is to contact the manufacturers and send your items off for repair or replacement. I'm betting you get a brand new scope which will take some of the bite out of your shipping costs. I'm sure trigger tech will make things right for you. I do recommend that you take whichever trigger you get back, repaired of replaced, and polish the living daylights out of the jaws....I strongly recommend this. Good luck my friend. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:This is why I will only buy a scope with a transferable lifetime warranty. Leupold and Redfield scopes would have you covered even if it changed hands several times...
I would still try. Play on their good nature." I bought a Hawke so things like this wouldn't happen.", " Not the usual high quality expected from a Hawke brand scope", etc. Many times you will get helped. Just a thought.

I had a Primos trail cam that never did work right. After a couple of months, I was going to send it in. In the warranty it said that I needed to call to see if it was covered, and send 20 bucks with it to cover return postage!!!! I boxed it with a letter, sent it with 0 dollars and got a new camera back. Give it a try !
As per Leupolds warranty.... I had a major, embarrassing oops, with one of mine recently. I boxed it up with a letter explaining what I had done and how foolish it was. I stated that I knew it was 100% my fault and if they would call or email me I would give them a credit card number for the repairs. I received an email saying that they had received the scope for repairs and an estimated 21 working days . In about 15 working days it was on my porch. Invoice had s large N/C ( no charge) at the bottom. They are the "Excalibur" of scopes in my opinion. :D Made me a happy boy!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Trigger Tech will take care of you, and pretty sure Hawke will too. Most of these premium companies today want ZERO bad publicity. It is the age of Social Media, and word travels very fast, call them Gene, you might be surprised! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Paul,
I'm totally convinced the TT was in good working order when purchased as this issue was not present initially it only became a very obvious isssue today,,,At first i thought it a fluke, but in one occassion, I had to take my finger and actually move the trigger forward to get the latches to raise back up... Simply pulling the trigger would not re-set it and open the latches..

As too trigger technique, I was a competative shooter with handguns, shotguns and rifles ( small bore indoor match ) for many years before retireing from it... Now just a ocassional trip to the trap range... and backyard work to keep my skills up with the Glock and Kimber... I can't emagine anything in my trigger routein (sp?) that could have contributed to the issue... As I said it worked fine for some time before this became an issue.

In any case I will be in contact with both manufactures and see if they will help me with both issues.

Thank's Gene
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Scamp tralier
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Double post , sorry
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Scamp tralier
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Gene, My TT would do the same thing about once in 30/40 shots , I called TT and they told me to make sure when I squeezed off the shot to keep my finger on the trigger and follow through with the shot , Fixed the problem ! Not done it since . Hope this helps . Mike
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

Gene sorry to hear. the trigger techs can be picky as to follow through and a bit annoying transferring the release energy to your shooting finger tip .i had to ship mine back but it still does it from time to time.luckily the new Excalibur triggers have gotten better at least in the Micros and the Mega 405.i always wondered if you could order a Mega trigger for use on other models. i know Dan Miller use to slick up triggers too.the Trigger Techs are very good triggers but for me not so worth it if you can get a good one from Excalibur.as far as scopes go id stay with the Leupolds.
Cool Curves

Post by Cool Curves »

foofoo wrote:Gene sorry to hear. the trigger techs can be picky as to follow through and a bit annoying transferring the release energy to your shooting finger tip .i had to ship mine back but it still does it from time to time.luckily the new Excalibur triggers have gotten better at least in the Micros and the Mega 405.i always wondered if you could order a Mega trigger for use on other models. i know Dan Miller use to slick up triggers too.the Trigger Techs are very good triggers but for me not so worth it if you can get a good one from Excalibur.as far as scopes go id stay with the Leupolds.
Just, exactly ! :wink:
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Re: TT 2-stages...I have owned 4. I owned one of the earliest models, of which some supposedly had a weak spring. It's the only one of the four I have owned that would "auto-cock." I called and spoke to them and they advised me regarding follow through. So I focused on that while shooting but it would do this despite my trigger follow through, so after a few occurances during target sessions, I decided enough was enough and I sent it in. They replaced it. Never a problem since. Could be follow through, could be a warranty issue. Either way, they will take care of you.

Re: Hawke scopes...buyer beware.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

For the TT problem it sounds like your not following through on the shot by keeping your finger on the trigger during/after the shot.

It could also be the screw located in the trigger guard is loose (the one that the hole in the guard is drilled for)
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
bigrak

Post by bigrak »

I just sent my Trigger Tech back for eating up the servings on the left latch.
The trigger also was very sloppy side to side..... I'll post an update when I get it back.
Matrix 405 Mega, Hawke XB30 SR Pro
trigger tech, Dr Stirrup ' Tac Pac
BEE 20" 429gr. NAP spitfires 100gr. Ignitors
BD400 XB30 SR PRO DR. Stirrup.
New 420TD Assassin