TRIANGLE OF PAIN

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FORVOLS

TRIANGLE OF PAIN

Post by FORVOLS »

I don't know who coined that, but I think I read it here. No blood and guts in this post. But I have hunted for years and process my own game. And cut myself during the process, No gun accidental misfires or injuries. I understand gun safety. My Matrix 355 is my first crossbow and it is NO JOKE, everyone thinks down range, but you could seriously take a digit off or really impair your hand with these weapons. Us new crossbow shooters...and experienced stay out of the triangle of pain. Never let up on your safety measures and don't just think down range.
MATRIX 355
HAWKE XB1
Trigger Tech Trigger
20in BEE
Various broadheads
Quick, accurate, simple
hankenhunter

Re: TRIANGLE OF PAIN

Post by hankenhunter »

FORVOLS wrote:I don't know who coined that, but I think I read it here. No blood and guts in this post. But I have hunted for years and process my own game. And cut myself during the process, No gun accidental misfires or injuries. I understand gun safety. My Matrix 355 is my first crossbow and it is NO JOKE, everyone thinks down range, but you could seriously take a digit off or really impair your hand with these weapons. Us new crossbow shooters...and experienced stay out of the triangle of pain. Never let up on your safety measures and don't just think down range.
Google image crossbow thumb injuries;

https://www.google.ca/search?q=crossbow ... IQ_AUIBigB

This link should be given to all crossbow beginners. It could save someone years of pain. Warning, link is not for the faint of heart! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
Hank
Boomer81

Post by Boomer81 »

I am a new xbow shooter and my 350le didnt come with the ADF scope mount. And i am really glad it didnt! Having shot rifles and shotguns all my life, i have been programmed to always have my safety on/point in safe direction/finger off the trigger until i am ready to shoot. So having the safety off in order to cock this thing really threw me off at first.

But it was a good thing because it really makes you aware that you HAVE to put it on safe each and every time you cock it.

I found having to cock it many times during the string stretching phase, was good practice of the new routine.

I also like the way the foregrip is sunk down low to keep your fingers from the strings path. All in all i am loving this new piece in my collection! :)
"Rumble"
Matrix 350LE Treestand Camo

"Ravage"
Micro Mag 340 Mossy Oak Camo
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

"Triangle of Pain". Great description! I'm going to borrow that for when I'm working with new xbow shooters!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Al Gore coined the phrase. He also invented the internet. :D
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

With a rifle or shotgun, if muzzle is pointed in a safe direction, you are pretty well good to go......Not so with the crossbow. There are lots of ways and places it can maim you! :shock: ( I think paulaboutform is the first that I saw use the term)
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

flightattendant100 wrote:With a rifle or shotgun, if muzzle is pointed in a safe direction, you are pretty well good to go......Not so with the crossbow. There are lots of ways and places it can maim you! :shock: ( I think paulaboutform is the first that I saw use the term)
I also keep the three pics of the thumb injury to show new shooters what happens when you enter the triangle of pain. Those pics are graphic enough to stick in anyone's head....and I do believe I'm the first to use 'easy peasy' at Boofest. :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Micro 335 has protection from string which is nice..
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

When I first came to this site, and didn't even own a crossbow at the time, I can still remember someone here posting a picture of his thumb, after it was pretty near sliced off by the string of his Xbow. It's something I've never forgotten, and something I always pass on to someone new using my bow. I think the best lessons are learnt by others who share their mistakes.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

So true but a lot of people do not shoot crossbow at home as much as they should..I sight in crossbows in my yard now for friends etc and almost all are terrible with crossbow.They do not put safe on ,stick their fingers everywhere,they point bow at you with arrow in it or shoot with no arrow in bow..I have done that before also on arrow not perfect but putting safe on and keeping your fingers out and not pointing bow at their feet or you is not good..But its do to getting excited to shoot ..

Just imagine what they do in woods in tree with Buck coming..It all do to lack of practice ,wife on their ass all the time not letting them go anywhere with or without kids or do anything .....

I have no answer for it but not having safety on Excaliburs go on when cocked to me their has to be accidents most of bows have safety on when cocked..These new high fps bows with wheels etc if you get your hand in their they will have to cut you out ...
FORVOLS

Post by FORVOLS »

All you can do is be as safe as you can, train who you can on safety with a crossbow. Be alert to people you hunt with and their handling of crossbows. Be alert in the woods not only for your prey...but other hunters. Not all verify game or what is beyond what they are shooting at. Crossbow/Gun once the trigger is pulled damage will be done.
MATRIX 355
HAWKE XB1
Trigger Tech Trigger
20in BEE
Various broadheads
Quick, accurate, simple
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

No Joke. My left thumb is almost a quarter inch shorter than the right because of a brief lapse. Was sighting in my Micro 335 using the back of a chair for a brace. Instead of placing my hand under the stock where it belonged I made a fist with my thumb up and used it on the side of the stock as a stabilizer. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!! Took the top of my thumb off!!
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

drkeenan wrote:No Joke. My left thumb is almost a quarter inch shorter than the right because of a brief lapse. Was sighting in my Micro 335 using the back of a chair for a brace. Instead of placing my hand under the stock where it belonged I made a fist with my thumb up and used it on the side of the stock as a stabilizer. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!! Took the top of my thumb off!!
:shock: OUCH! That's gotta hurt! Sorry to hear that.

Paul
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Bullzeye wrote:When I first came to this site, and didn't even own a crossbow at the time, I can still remember someone here posting a picture of his thumb, after it was pretty near sliced off by the string of his Xbow. It's something I've never forgotten, and something I always pass on to someone new using my bow. I think the best lessons are learnt by others who share their mistakes.
Might be this one you are remembering. Yours truly - still don't have full feeling in that thumb and likely never will.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Species, I keep a screenshot of all three original pics you posted in my phone and show them to new shooters explaining 'this is what can happen if you enter the triangle of pain! '

Paul