Introduction and new Matrix 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Karl

Introduction and new Matrix 380

Post by Karl »

Hi the forum. I just joined as I have just ordered a matrix 380 blackout here in Australia and should get it in a couple of weeks. I did a fair bit of research on it, also the high powered compounds out there and the Excalibur 380 seemed a good mix of power and durability. Also searches on problems turn up less than other brands. I'll be shooting everything from goats, pigs, wild horses to scrub bulls( feral cattle) if I can get lucky on the last one, so wanted something with a bit of oomph.
I wondered early on if there is anything I need to do with it out of the box, as I heard brace height may need to be attended to? Had a ton of other questions I haven't found answers by searching yet, but figured I would introduce myself before bombarding everyone like a newb :)
Arrowflinger

Re: Introduction and new Matrix 380

Post by Arrowflinger »

Wild horses? :?
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
Karl

Post by Karl »

yes most game in Australia are introduced species and can be pests in some areas. Since we have such low population density feral species have spread over large areas of bushland. camels, dogs, donkeys, goats, pigs all do damage to native habitats so its open season, no bag limits usually. I think with horses some are rounded up for whatever use, but a lot are also shot. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-01/p ... on/7373634
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Welcome to the forum .Brumby shooting seems to be a controversial subject there.Didnt know that .Im from TX so horses have always been kind of sacred.Youll enjoy your new bow . I've got a 350 and love it . I'm fairly new to crossbows too . This forum has a lot of people with great info. I'm no expert and don't give out much advise but as you asked brace height is very important.you need to get a heavy duty stringing aid to adjust your brace height .I had to adjust mine straight outta the box or I wouldn't have been able to shoot it . Welcome
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Karl welcome to the Forum. Order the great stringing aid that Danny Miller of Horizontal Archery makes n his arrow pliers whil yer at it. Either get 2 or 3 extra strings Factory of Custom also. Keep all parts of yer body away from string area when you shoot, it will cut a thumb or finger in two! Keep yer brace height get great targets or you will regret that! Great arrows go wid a great crossbow fer accuracy. Make sure you go over all screws make sure they are tight
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks fellas I will look into doing all that. Our distributor here carries a lot of excal and aftermarket spares and is also authorised to act as warranty and return service for Excalibur. Another reason for choosing this brand.

I was also looking at tips and assume three types will get me where I want to be.

Target tip
Blunt for small game
Broadhead for big game.

I assume with these different tips I am looking at different bolt weights in each case and therefore different velocities and POI?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Karl you should be able to match up all pts n arrow weight all around. Like all 100gr pts or 125gr or 150gr pts Broadheads/blunt/field
Half Bubble Off BD360

GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Welcome aboard and congrats on an awesome bow... :)
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Welcome!
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

welcome aboard. I have a 380 and love it , just keep every thing tight and you will be good to go.
W.M.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome and congrats on the 380!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks gents. Do folks usually buy targets for crossbows this level or just make them?
Karl

Post by Karl »

Also I have heard the term 'boo string' and wondered what they are and whether they would also be worth getting hold of?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Targets the SpyderWeb XL18 fer field pts n the Rinehart 18-1 fer Broadheads best quality. Boo string, he is a Custom string maker here on the Forum makes Flemish n ENL's. Usually has a waitin line fer his strings
Half Bubble Off BD360

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Karl and welcome to the forum! :D Here are a few answers and tips as per your questions.
Arrows: your factory arrows come with lighter weight aluminum tips and are made to be shot with 150gr points. You always shoot the same field point(practice point) weight as broadhead weight. Many of us have gone to Black Eagle Zombie Slayer arrows because of the quality, tight tolerances and very stiff of spine. Most also use heavier brass inserts up front weighing between 80 grains to 110 grains.
String: The factory string that comes on your bow is called an endless loop string. It's fine and works perfectly. But most of us have switched to Flemish Twist strings. The Flemish strings change the tone, vibration and feel of the shot and most switch to them. I also prefer them as they're nicer feeling and actually just look better. Considering where you're from, when you order a string I suggest ordering three or four. Danny Miller at Horizontal Archery makes all the Excalibur strings and you can order Flemish Twist strings from him or just go to the trading post section of this forum and visit any of the string builders. As mentioned, Boo is know for his great quality strings.
Others: Your bow will come with a cocking aid but you absolutely need a stringing aid as well. This will allow you to shorten your string as it stretches and you may have to do it right out of the box. You want a 1/4" gap between the two reds bumpers and the front of the string. That's your brace height.
Plier pullers will make your life much easier and you'll wish you had them sooner. Highly recommended.
Remove every fastener you can see (except for the limb bolts and limb strap screws of course), one at a time, and add a tiny amount of blue loktight to the thread and retighten. Wait 24 hours to set.
You can make your own bag target. My favorite is the Third Hand Archery 'Rag Bag Target'
I recommend calling Danny Miller at Horizontal Archery as you can get everything through him and he's a wealth of knowledge. Good luck.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.