100 yard love with the Matrix 380....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BigSteve

Re: 100 yard love with the Matrix 380....

Post by BigSteve »

I'm in north Florida, near Panama City.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Big Steve

Read the Boo string website fully! Understand that 18-20" arrows need a lot of FOC. For expandible broadheads, at least 190gs if not heavy on the vanes or nocks. More on the front end if 3" vanes, Lumenocks. Fixed broadheads require even more front end weight. Measure your tiller: cocked and uncocked. Must have a good scope. Make sure the trigger retention bolts are not loose (gently see if the scope will rock any). Consider getting 18" Zombies, spine indexed, Blazers in helical, 92 g insert if 100 g expandible, 110g if fixed BH, flat plastic nocks. Jerry at SSAS is a great arrow constructor (there in FL).
A good Flemish string won't hurt, either. Sight in with the best rest(s) you can.
Read posts on this sight for hours and days.
Medium sized Steve
Trentco1

Post by Trentco1 »

SEW wrote:Big Steve

Read the Boo string website fully! Understand that 18-20" arrows need a lot of FOC. For expandible broadheads, at least 190gs if not heavy on the vanes or nocks. More on the front end if 3" vanes, Lumenocks. Fixed broadheads require even more front end weight. Measure your tiller: cocked and uncocked. Must have a good scope. Make sure the trigger retention bolts are not loose (gently see if the scope will rock any). Consider getting 18" Zombies, spine indexed, Blazers in helical, 92 g insert if 100 g expandible, 110g if fixed BH, flat plastic nocks. Jerry at SSAS is a great arrow constructor (there in FL).
A good Flemish string won't hurt, either. Sight in with the best rest(s) you can.
Read posts on this sight for hours and days.
Medium sized Steve

All good advice and so much to learn;)
Micro 355
Hawke xb30 pro scope T&T Triger boo force 10 string Zombie slayers 16.5 arrows c/w right helical blazer vanes aluminum nocks or lumenoks
Micro 315
Tact zone scope force 10 string 16" inch executioner arrows aluminum nocks or lumenoks
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

Okay everybody, my replacement TactZone scope came in yesterday. I mounted it, made sure everything was tight, double checked the my string hadn't stretched, and went shooting. I bought 150 gr field points and put them on my Diablos. It was all over the place, like 3" groups at 20 yards. So I took 1 single Diablo and shot it over and over, paying close attention to which vane was pointed down into the track. I found the sweet spot. I was putting that Diablo in the same hole every time. I marked the vane with a sharpie and followed suit with another Diablo. Same thing happened. If I use one Diablo at a time, find the sweet spot, and mark the vane it will put the arrow in the same hole every time. So that proves that it's all about indexing, as many of you said. With all this in mind (the heavier field points and indexing), I think I want to just buy spine indexed arrows. I found a site for Burkholder Archery. They claim to make match grade custom bolts using "static spine selection, spine indexing, extreme front-of-center" (brass inserts), and "hand crafted with the most precise fletching available today". They advertise a 1" group at 60 yards with a Matrix 380. The cost is $125.00 per dozen custom made for the Matrix 380. Is this the answer to my problems?
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

It's only the answer if they use Zombie shafts from Black Eagle. Otherwise check out South Shore Archery they make custom arrows with zombies. For that kind of $$$ you want best shaft out there.
Boo

Post by Boo »

A stiffer shaft like the Black Eagle Arrow Zombie will make spine a zero issue at shorter ranges. Assuming a good tiller and a moderate FOC, at 20 yards, the Executioner, being a 300 spine will shoot around 1" at 50 yards without being indexed. The Zombie is a 225 spine.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Alina

Post by Alina »

That's some awesome shooting and a great setup. How much experimenting did you do to settle on your point/insert weights? I was chatting with a target crossbow guy and on 16 inch arrows he recommends 225 grain field points to keep the bolts from floating.