20" Wyvern custom arrows for Matrix 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Karl

20" Wyvern custom arrows for Matrix 380

Post by Karl »

Gents any opinions on these 20" black eagle arrows with insert and 100gn field tips for total weight of 425 grains?

http://www.wyverncreations.com/index.ph ... cts_id=591

I am looking to ship a semi-bulk order to Australia to keep things cheap and simple. Also getting muzzy 3 blade 100 grain broadheads to compliment them.

Is this a good idea or should I be testing variety of arrows/BH first to see what my bow likes??
xcaliber

Re: 20" Wyvern custom arrows for Matrix 380

Post by xcaliber »

I would email David at Wyverns, and ask about 18" for the matrix 380, you will not have the broadheads hanging over the front of the riser when cocked with the shorter arrows, just my opinion. I think the rest of the goodies are just fine.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I agree Karl. The 20" arrows will work fine but they're a real pain when you're hunting because you can't set the bow on the stirrup because of the protruding arrow.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Karl

Post by Karl »

yep that's a good point and I wouldn't have realised until it annoyed me on the first hunt. Thanks fellas.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Them bolts at 18 inch will be tac drivers .the only thing better would be the stiffer zombies only a tad more money i have both and prefer the zombies .with that powerfull bow you have 110 grain inserts and even going to a 125 grain head would have awsome foc and hit like a freight train .with the 18 grains your losing on the shorter bolt throw the extra 7 grains up front . I shoot them outta my 355 its the most accurate combo i can find and i played a lot with arras. Lbj
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I agree the 380 is better suited to Zombie Slayers or Spynal Tapps, the 355 and 300 I don't think you will see an advantage with the stiffer arrows and the Executioners work for me in the 350, but both my 380's prefer a little stiffer spine. The Executioners shoot well in the 380, but the others I mentioned shoot better.

The 18" works with any broadhead inside the stirrup, but with the shorter Slick Tricks and the like I can use up to 19" but I would go with 18" and be ready for anything,,,,, 110 up front,,,,,
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

wildcatter wrote:I agree the 380 is better suited to Zombie Slayers or Spynal Tapps... The Executioners shoot well in the 380, but the others I mentioned shoot better.
Totally Agree.
Ran Executioners from my 380 for a year or two. Switched to the Zombie Slayers last year. NO turning back!! Very Impressive Results! :D

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks fellas I might as well do this right. Zombie slayers it is. As it turns out buying them semi-bulk from the US will beat prices for lesser arrows here anyway, so its a no brainer.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Something you might want to consider after reading Hank's thread

"I recieved my new Zombies from Big John and hoo wee do they fly and look good. But, my first arrow got anchored into my 18\1 target. :shock: :cry: When I finally got it out I noticed that the Zombie logo was badly smeared. I took some acetone, removed the logo, and fired another shot. This time easy one hand removal. Eureka! :D If you have large graphics on your arrows, you might want to try naked arrows. :D Happy shootin,
Hank"

--and--

Hi5 wrote:
I had the same experience. I was hesitant to try to get rid of any labeling for fear I would damage the arrow somehow in the process. Acetone, you say?

Yup, followed by a wipe with alcohol, then a wipe with Jig a Loo silicone spray. Easy peasy one hand removal. I wondered why the Excal arrows didn't stick as bad as others. Answer, teenie weenie graphics. :lol:
Happy pullin, 8)
Hank
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks Hi5 I missed this post originally.

Regards,
karl.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I might add that Big John's Custom Zombies have been highly regarded all over the globe.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Campbell813

Post by Campbell813 »

Have the micro 355... ordered the custom executioner black eagle for the 355 from David ... got them this morning,set them up and shot them for about an hour tonight..
I was absolutely blown away at the improved accuracy I got compared to the Quill arrows... I was hitting the same hole over and over or directly touching it with each of the 6 arrows... glad I was smart enough to shoot only 1 at an interval or I'd be ordering replacements... Can't say enough about David from Wyvern... knows his stuff and never steers you wrong...
Finally broke the ice on a Excalibur...
Excalibur Miro 355...
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Karl, seeing as you're pretty much on your own as far as any repairs to your arrows I strongly encourage you to buy an Arizona Rim E-Z Fletch Bolt fletching jig and some high quality epoxy. I bought about five bottles, vacuum packed all but one and froze them. The best I've used is the G5 Blue Glue. You can buy blank zombie shafts (hopefully cut to 18"), plastic nocks, brass inserts and blazer vanes. Order plenty of extra of ALL arrow components. This will allow you to build your arrows and replace any damaged vanes, nocks or inserts. In my opinion your own arrows would be the best way to go and there's plenty of help available right here. You know I'll also help out if I can. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

paulaboutform wrote:Karl, seeing as you're pretty much on your own as far as any repairs to your arrows I strongly encourage you to buy an Arizona Rim E-Z Fletch Bolt fletching jig and some high quality epoxy. I bought about five bottles, vacuum packed all but one and froze them. The best I've used is the G5 Blue Glue. You can buy blank zombie shafts (hopefully cut to 18"), plastic nocks, brass inserts and blazer vanes. Order plenty of extra of ALL arrow components. This will allow you to build your arrows and replace any damaged vanes, nocks or inserts. In my opinion your own arrows would be the best way to go and there's plenty of help available right here. You know I'll also help out if I can. :wink:

Paul
Paul has it right. Especially because of where you live, it makes a whole lot of sense to make your own arrows. It isn't difficult and wiĺl save you a whack of money. Can you imagine what you'll have to do if you ruin one fletching? :shock:
I conducted a couple of workshops earlier this year and everyone went away knowing how to make arrows. Pretty amazing because some of them were pretty much knucklehaeds :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Karl

Post by Karl »

Well this is very important advice I am thinking. Thanks Paul and Boo!
I got Jerry from Southshore to suggest a custom arrow configuration a while back using the 18" zombie slayers as follows..

Flat Aluminum Nock, 1 1/8th to 1 1/4 setback
Sk 300 vanes set offset
110 insert
Shaft weight 162 grains
Insert 110
Point 125
Vanes 20.4
Total 417 grains

So I just order the shafts, vanes, inserts, nocks above and the Jig you mentioned Paul + some glue and I am ready to rock and roll?