how well has your mega 405 held up? New owner from Ga

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

yotaholik

how well has your mega 405 held up? New owner from Ga

Post by yotaholik »

I have a matrix 405 in the mail should be here saturday. I went with the 405 over the 380 for the twilight scope. I purchased this from archconnection on ebay for 899 for the lite package. He said the this bow is a later model and trigger recall was before this one. I havent seen much about the limb problem in a while and I was hoping there was a way to tell if it has the new batch of limbs that didnt have the heat issue. Hoping to hear from some guys who's mega has served them well, I read several complaints on it. But either way this is my first excalibur and I am super excited.
BrotherRon

Re: how well has your mega 405 held up? New owner from Ga

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard.
It is difficult to know what you have since buying it from ebay, but....
It is nice to know that if any problem should arrive Excalibur will have you up and running again very quickly. The only problem I ever had was a faulty scope and 4 days after I mailed it to Woody's I had a new one. As you can tell from my signature I have the 310 & 330
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Mine held up enuff to get it to its new owner. Jus too much fer this old man to rope cock any more. Enjoy yers
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I love mine but only have hundreds of shots through it. Here's the beauty of Excalibur, if your limbs are a problem you can easily change them. That's a screaming deal on that bow considering the local shop here was selling them for $1400.00
Welcome to the forum. Make sure you understand what brace height is or you'll end up damaging your limbs. You'll also need a stringing aid and arrow plier pullers.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

My 405 limbs survived 1800 shots with all manner of strings and arrow weights until a pair of idiots semi dry-fired it a few times.
Right now it's out getting tarred up with a type 3 anodizing job.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Rusty Gate

Post by Rusty Gate »

I have one of the very early/first versions of the 405, it went through the trigger recall, it came back with a better trigger! It still has the original limbs! :D Always took great pains to maintain proper brace height etc. I shoot a 410gr 20" arrow. Over 1000 shots have been taken, many in practice during the "bad limb" era. I have not had any problem with the limbs at all, and I certainly gave it every opportunity to fail. I can't tell you how many times I've gone over those limbs looking for splinters, cracks, etc.....nothing has happened. BUT if it does I know Excal will be there for me! Yes I'm happy with my purchase.

RG
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Buy a C2 crank, and you will enjoy shooting it more. Also buy a custom string from one of the fine string makers on our forum. The stock string from Excalibur stretches allot and you will constantly be adjusting brace height.

Welcome! :D
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone
bigrak

Post by bigrak »

I just sent back the package from the same place you got yours .Looked like it went through a tornado. Having a hard time from them getting my refund after they even filed a claim with Fed Ex.

Good luck!
Matrix 405 Mega, Hawke XB30 SR Pro
trigger tech, Dr Stirrup ' Tac Pac
BEE 20" 429gr. NAP spitfires 100gr. Ignitors
BD400 XB30 SR PRO DR. Stirrup.
New 420TD Assassin
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I''m pretty sure Excalibur stopped production of the 405 right before the new limbs hit the public on the 2016 models.... At that time they replaced the 405 with the new model Bull Dog 400 which does have the new limbs and redesigned riser and stock.

I would think that unless your bow was a "used model" where the previous owner up-graded to the new "In House" limbs ? That you most likely have a left over discontinued model with the earlier limbs. However, the upside is that Excal will stand behind it should a limb issue raise it's ugly head. They may even outfit it with a slightly modified older style 405 riser. This redesinge was made in an attempt to relieve some stress at the extreme outer edge of the limb pocket by slightly radiusing it .. I have one of these new re-worked riser's on a 380 I recently built with a set of the new limbs and it's working out very well and I feel total confidence in it.

You have a great bow.... get out and shoot it as you gain some experience..... I would caution that you check and adjust the brace height when the bow arrives to a gap of at least 1/4" initially between the string and string stops as most stretch before arriving to the owner and will continue to do so for some time before settling in... You MUST order a string adjusting ( and changing devise to do this ) I would reccommend contacting Danny Miller at Horizontal Archery for one of his design. His are very user friendly as well as very stong , well designed and cheaper than those from other sources.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Did the bow arrive?
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I had 2 both never gave me a problem, over 60 hours cock time leaving it cocked all nigh several times to condition the limbs, don't know if it is necessary but I have have never had a libs fail on any of the over a dozen Matrix bows I have had, I never shoot under 400 grain arrows and always shoot a flemish string! If it is one that snick out with the limbs that were over heated I know one thing, you will be taken care of in a timely manner, and you won't have to worry about which limbs you have again!

I like Vixenmaster chose less strain my old back!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
SEW

Post by SEW »

My M405 has been flawless. Over 1,000 shots, cocked for countless hunting hours. My favorite xbow. The C-2 cocker will help preserve your back.
yotaholik

Post by yotaholik »

My 405 snapped the left limb while had it cocked to shoot. Shot 8 times. Brace height was set correct. Guess was bad limbs.
yotaholik

Post by yotaholik »

I believe excalibur will resolve this issue. Need it ready for september
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I have not seen it posted for those using firenocks, but have talked to Dorge about this more than once. As much as I like and shoot the D2 firenocks in all my Excalibur bows, the D1's before I could get the D2's with shopping bag shim jobs.

The 405 is not safe to use with full capture nocks. It has been reported of arrow failures from using capture nocks. In mine I always used the flat nock from firenock (F nocks) the other thing I have always done when I had mine was I used a 36 strand Force-10 string,, very heavy,, or a 40 strand D97, I highly suggest the 36 strand Force-10, it is oh soooo smmmooootth with these strings and the Force-10 is very stable with little bother keeping BH in check!

Lastly. everyone will probably say it is a waste, but I am a firm believer in conditioning my limbs before I shoot the bow, as well as giving the string some time for pre stretching. I cock the bow for at least 12 hours before I shoot it. Once it has been cocked overnight, I let the string down and check BH before IZ recock and shoot the bow. Each time I shoot when I am done I cock the bow and leave it cocked 10 or 12 hours the first 6 or 7 days, usually overnight. I let it down ar shoot it every time for these initial 6 ot 7 days. after that I can say I have never had a problem, but,,, I also don't believe in shooting less than 400 grains, I think 425 grains is the lightest arrow I ever shot in mine.

I am not telling anyone this will do anything, but I can say, I HAVE NEVER BROKE a set of Matrix limbs and have had 4 heavy hitters, still 2-380's and now sold 2-405's happiness is a bow that you have confidence in,, these are all plenty fast enough!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!