Range finder doubling for general uses?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Karl

Range finder doubling for general uses?

Post by Karl »

Gents , I was thinking of getting a mid-level range finder to shoot longer ranges, but also wondered if it could double as a basic monocular/spotter for general hiking/travelling when I am not hunting. Is this commonly done or a bad idea for any reasons?( cost, durability ?)
LongCarbine

Re: Range finder doubling for general uses?

Post by LongCarbine »

It can be used for that purpose . But I don't think the optics are very sharp at least in the two that I own.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Karl, of course you can use your rangefinder for whatever purposes you like. I do agree about the optical quality. I'm not sure how steep the cost would be across the pond but you may want to check out any of the Vortex line of rangefinders. They actually offer their lifetime warranty whereas most other manufacturers have a one to two years of warranty calling rangefinders 'electronics'.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Just remember that to get good magnification you have to spend $$$$. Cheaper range finders like mine only have 4X magnification, so not the best to use as a spotter, and I could be wrong, but I believe the higher end range finders go up to 8X
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

Truthfully,its' primary use is more for range finding. The farther you range an object the less detail you see plus,depending on the display the range finder uses to target the object before it displays the yardage,could also interfere with the view.Unless I planned on using it for hunting during your sight seeing,I would leave it at home. Unnecessary item to worry about.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Bullzeye wrote:Just remember that to get good magnification you have to spend $$$$. Cheaper range finders like mine only have 4X magnification, so not the best to use as a spotter, and I could be wrong, but I believe the higher end range finders go up to 8X
X2! For bow & crossbow hunting 4 X is perfect, and there are very good binoculars out there in the $200 - $300 range for all other things.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you want one to do double duty look at the Lieca. For clarity, it's view finder rivals binoculars in the $300/$400 range. It does, however, lack field of view which a binocular does give.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Boo wrote:If you want one to do double duty look at the Lieca. For clarity, it's view finder rivals binoculars in the $300/$400 range. It does, however, lack field of view which a binocular does give.
X2! I have to say I think you be hard pressed to find a pair of $800.00 binos to compare to the 1000-R Leicas, I have 8X Zeiss Conquest HD that are no better than the 6x Leicas for clarity, and for low light you have to wait till well after sundown to see any difference in clear low light capability. over a year ago I spent the summer looking at Zeiss, Vortex, Swarovski, Leupold,, none were as light, compact or offered better glass. They all were not as handy to use, and could not read though as small a window as the Leica, which reads through my double pane windows inside the house.

They not only replaced my need for bino's in the field, they are simpler to use feet metters angle shoot to is done with one click, your actual reading gives you true range to target when you press and letup on and after 2 or 3 seconds automatically gives you gives the actual shoot to distance, one push and you have both readings,,, plus it fits in a T shirt pocket,,

Last thing is the 1000-r is a 1000 yard rangefinder, I can hit a tree past 1200 yards, a deer in an open field not sure, but I know it will do lone deer in open wheel stumble over 800 yards away, as far as I have tried.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks gents, great replies and advice. I am trying to cut down on equipment in the field. I might take a look at the leica to start with and go from there.
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

I carry bino's but I also use my Nikon for dual purpose.Works just fine.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Karl wrote:Thanks gents, great replies and advice. I am trying to cut down on equipment in the field. I might take a look at the leica to start with and go from there.
You'll like it!! But wait till the sun goes down and check it out then,,, this is where it really shows it's worth!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks!
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

Lol. My Laser Link RH2 is currently hanging from my golf bag however during the fall and winter I use it for hunting!!
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

wildcatter wrote:
Karl wrote:Thanks gents, great replies and advice. I am trying to cut down on equipment in the field. I might take a look at the leica to start with and go from there.
You'll like it!! But wait till the sun goes down and check it out then,,, this is where it really shows it's worth!!
The older style Leica rangefinders can be had at pretty reasonable prices on ebay from time to time. They are a bit bigger than the newer models but are still Leica quality. They made an 800, a 900, and a 1200.