Brand spanking new to crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Crowell392

Brand spanking new to crossbows

Post by Crowell392 »

Okay I am brand-spanking-new 2 crossbows I am very familiar with archery as I have been shooting for a very long time and even have some state titles under my belt but as I'm getting older I'm considering getting a crossbow for next year's hunting season what would you recommend any make or model I am open to all suggestions this is a very serious question thanks for your advice in advance.
Tom

Re: Brand spanking new to crossbows

Post by Tom »

Welcome to the world or crossbows.

To be able to give you a really useful response, we need more info about your wants and needs.

Are you physically capable of cocking heavier bows, holding the larger bows (width) or will you need smaller bows.

What size of animals will you mainly be hunting. Will you be wanting to shoot a lot or just for hunting.

The higher poundage bows can become less fun to shoot after a while during longer shooting sessions they the lower poundage models.

Is arrow speed a major factor for you or will a slower bow be OK.

Any hunting model from Excalibur will kill any animal in North America.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I like like the Matrix series, in the middle size wise, excellent pwer with medium cocking effort, and accurate to a fault! I personally think the 350 to 380 are the cream of the crop. Plenty of speed with a 415 to 542 grain arrow,, the 350 I like if I am shooting inside 40 yards with arrows up to 450 grains, the 380 for up to 50 yards with arrows from 435 to 542 grains.

If you like smaller narrower and accurate to rival the bigger bows, and don't ming the heavier cockiong efforst, the 335 or 355 Micro would be on my radar. shorter lighter arrows from 415 to 450 grains will please most, and give plenty of power to take any big game,

or the old wide Exo series, accurate and as dependable as they come. a bigger wider package but as accurate as they come and no crossbow in history has proven for a longer priod of time how dependable and reliable any bow can be than these bows, and with African Elephant under it's belt, can handel anything.

check em all judge fer yourself, but you won't go wrong with any of them, there enough around here that have proven all!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome! The choice is yours!,if you can try some out at a store would be your best bet! Micros are small,Matrix are a little bigger,Exo series are bigger yet!You cant go wrong with any of them! All will take down any animal!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

As stated, your physical size, and condition mean a whole lot in terms of getting the most bow without over doing it. It's not about speed & power when I say this, it is more about flatter shooting than anything. I like the Matrix 330 & 355. I'm 55 years old, hunt deer. large midwest corn fed deer, and those provide all of the power I would ever need. I could hunt bear, and hogs without issue as well. I'm in good shape, and can handle larger models no problem, but is not required for me, and the range time is much more enjoyable for me. The longer the power stroke, the longer you're pulling the load, and the more you feel the pounds stack up on the draw.
Brand, Excalibur! Simple design, great warranty, dependable service, and they just plain WORK!

Good Luck! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Crowell392

Post by Crowell392 »

The micro series has kind of caught my attention but I was also interested in the Stryker series I don't really know what options I should go with, the higher poundage bow shouldn't be a problem I will be hunting whitetails in Ohio for the most part and doing some target shooting. That being being said accuracy and being quiet is pretty important as well as good speed.
Last edited by Crowell392 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....yes welcome aboard!

....Everything previously said in addition to, I would go to a pro shop who sells the Excalibur line and shoulder some and see what you like and how it feels to you....our likes, needs, limitations, etc might not be yours at all or might be completely different!

....Wishing you the best in your decision making!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Crowell392 wrote:The micro series has kind of caught my attention but I was also interested in the Stryker series I don't really know what options I should go with, the higher poundage bow shouldn't be a problem I will be hunting whitetails in Ohio for the most part and doing some target shooting. That being being said accuracy and being quiet is pretty important as well as good speed.
Top expert here,ME..lol...Anyhow you have best you can get for advice here..Not me most of others ..For me it was MICRO 335 ..Why only 1 reason,SMALL...Feels great in my arms not real light but at 62 I am out of shape..Shoots in same hole at 30 yards with quill arrows it comes with or custom arrows I bought from your neighbor out there BORKHOLDER ARCHERY ..He has video on youtube testing the Micro 335..Enter his archery name above on youtube his name is Brian ..He shows what Micro can do at 50 yards..

but you have experts here..Crossbows are not quiet,they are not light to carry ,some do not like the package scopes mine was fine,stock strings seperate fairly fast so you need a custom string ..

I was tradional buck hunter only recurve for me..Excalibur bows look like bow that sold me on it and help you get from experts here will save you a lot of headaches..

sooooooooooo buck hunter Sproul which is best one,No idea but small size sitting in treestand for 12 hrs per day ,yes you heard that right small size of Micro is perfect..

Good luck and you may read some of my storys hunting from 60s they were something to see hunting back then in pa...
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Eventually I may try out a micro, but for now I am very happy with the Matrix 310 and 330 I have. Both are perfect for my whitetail hunting situations and easy enough to cock. The 330 is easy enough to cock, but the 310 is especially easy for me to cock if I want to shoot all weekend. I am 5' 5" - 150# dripping wet - and have had back and hernia surgeries, as well as my rotaters giving me problems. I like the middle of the road Matrix models and would recommend the 330 or 355 as very reliable hunting machines. If you want smaller yet, then the Micro series is the way to go. As far as noise, I never heard a deer complain about noise yet, and after shooting mine for a while I don't even notice it any more ;)

Oh... and welcome aboard :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Welcome I started out with a matrix 330 a few years back i have some faster crossbows but the 330 just does everything im glad i chose it as my first i was a longbow hunter for years and got many trophy bucks i have nothing to prove to anyone i still shoot n hunt with my longbow . (When my shoulders havin a good day) but these crossbows are a little addictive to say the least .In my mind a bows a bow n were all archers get an excalibur and have fun on the forum . I learned a lot from the other members and made a lot of friends here
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Karl

Post by Karl »

I am new as well, and did a fair bit of research on crossbows and other implements for short range hunting before I decided. I am barely qualified to comment, as yet I am waiting for my bow to arrive, but as another beginner some of my reasoning might be useful to you.

Firstly was crossbows being easier to use and generally better trajectory and sighting options than most vertical compounds and recurves. Less of an issue for you.

Next was quietness, despite their reputation amongst other bow types, they are still a lot quieter than firearms, even most silenced firearms, and quieter high powered air rifles over 30cal as well. Some small silenced calibres are quieter but the crossbow is still good for the largest game on earth, which small firearms are not.

Durability- recurves crossbows appear to get the best reports for this and Excalibur amongst the highest. I checked reports from all over the world including my own country Australia, where we tend to cull high volumes of game and abuse equipment in bad weather and the strongest recommendations were generally Excalibur recurves. This recommendation even came from a couple of compound crossbow dealers here who suggested in the wilderness regions of my state( 50,000 sq mile Cape York Peninsula) an Excalibur might suit my purposes better, so it was a huge endorsement.

Accuracy- as above.

Product support. I did a lot of diligence here, again being outside the US and Excalibur appeared a clear winner. The Excalibur warranty holds even in the southern hemisphere, our reps have spares on hand and are authorised to replace as needed. Not specific to your circumstances but goes to show the service from half a world away being good news in general for anyone closer to North America :)
Most importantly is the rare culture I have encountered around this company.Its a very close knit community with direct forum interaction to the company representatives. Not many production sized outfits do this, certainly there is no parallel for example in firearms I know of.

So that's a completely inexpert opinion based on reading a lot :)
Crowell392

Post by Crowell392 »

Thanks Karl warranty is a big importants to me as well, so it looks like I'm narrowing it down to the micro 335 or the micro 355 can't decide
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Crowell392 wrote:Thanks Karl warranty is a big importants to me as well, so it looks like I'm narrowing it down to the micro 335 or the micro 355 can't decide
There are 3 on here that have tested the Micro series maybe I missed others but 3 stick out they are NEWBIE/VIXENMASTER/L.C.CARROLL..

Maybe they will chime in....
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Welcome, and make sure to try them all before buying one.

Matrix 355, 380

Micro Series

Etc . . .
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone
Trentco1

Post by Trentco1 »

My recommendation to you and I'm no expert;)...
get the 355 if you're going for the micro. If you purchase the 315 as I did, it always leaves a question in the back of your mind If you made the right decision...
Now I'm looking to up-grade to the 355 for a flatter trajectory and to use a heavier grain arrow to do some long-range practice shooting.
Get to a store and pull a few back,to see how comfortable you are with them and make ur decision there.
Btw. Love the micro series,small,compact,easy to hold and just an all-around awesome bow.
Micro 355
Hawke xb30 pro scope T&T Triger boo force 10 string Zombie slayers 16.5 arrows c/w right helical blazer vanes aluminum nocks or lumenoks
Micro 315
Tact zone scope force 10 string 16" inch executioner arrows aluminum nocks or lumenoks