Air brakes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Air brakes

Post by longbow joe »

I recently purchesed anthonys metal ibex ,Im loving little manco these bows came with air brakes installed i was considering taking them off i have the vixen 2 almost the same bow without them . Im not seeing or ( hearing ) a huge sound difference between the two bows im all about lightening up a bow but im on the fence about taking em off . I just was wondering any imput you guys have about the air brakes on or off etc. Lbj
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
hankenhunter

Re: Air brakes

Post by hankenhunter »

Heh, I'm shootin a Equinox with all the trimmings. :wink: That said, the Ibex is a pretty bombproof platform. If others besides yourself will be shooting the bow it may be a good idea to leave them on, otherwise strip her down and let her run naked. :D
Hank
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I had the Ibex bow and it was a great bow. I removed the front air break pads as they added unnecessary weight and served no real purpose in my opinion. Congrats on the purchase of a fine bow..

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

longbow joe wrote:I recently purchesed anthonys metal ibex ,Im loving little manco these bows came with air brakes installed i was considering taking them off i have the vixen 2 almost the same bow without them . Im not seeing or ( hearing ) a huge sound difference between the two bows im all about lightening up a bow but im on the fence about taking em off . I just was wondering any imput you guys have about the air brakes on or off etc. Lbj

i have micro 335 bought 2 .There is difference in sound with air brakes and it helps on vibration ..Got good chance to test same bows with/without..Without the factory string goes TWANG or snap noise..

not big difference in sound but having that snap noise gone is nice....As for weight on my 2 micros 335 if you would not have told me it adds weight I would never have noticed it at all.Its very little difference if any to me anyhow..
Last edited by sproulman on Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fatboy111

Post by Fatboy111 »

I would not use them. The difference in the noise is minimal and the animals I hunt won't know the difference. Plus, I don't care for the weight and I just don't see the rubber being used lastly very long down the road. If you like them, use them-that's all that matters.
Eck

Post by Eck »

I put a set of air brakes on my Micro earlier in the week, and while it took out some of the "twang" (felt vibration) immediately after the shot, I'm not sure the bow is that much quieter.

Truth be told, I didn't notice the extra 6 ounces hanging out there either, for those concerned about the weight of their bows. Some of the guys I know that are crazy about lightweight rifles and bows also seem to carry about 30 lbs of gear in their backpacks that they never need or use!

The biggest difference I noticed in my 380 (had air brakes installed when I bought it) was using one of Vixenmaster's Force 10 strings. The "twang" disappeared totally, and it felt like I was shooting my ExoMag.

If it were me, I'd use the time that you would have spend disassembling, and reassembling the bow to just practice!
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber