string stretch

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ontario Savage

string stretch

Post by Ontario Savage »

So I bought and love my new Matrix 350 LE which I posted about a few months back and I've got the factory string on the bow and I've got REDS string stops I bought as well...here is the question I have.....
I've had to twist the string over 20 times now as the string is constantly stretching on me..I have it sitting so it's not touching the reds but after a few weeks it creeps back and touches the reds. I've also left the bow cokced overnight to let it stretch...and she still likes to keep stretching.
I always store my bow in a cool dry place...is it normal for a string to stretch this much? My phoenix I bought was used and I didn't have reds so maybe I just never noticed the stretch ad much as I do with the Reds?
The crossbow is shooting fine I'm not complaining just wondering if this is normal...thanks
Boo

Re: string stretch

Post by Boo »

Cool storage will inhibit string creep. Shooting is the fastest way to get the creep out of a string. When you adjust the string, set it a tad higher than the brace height you normally keep and when you store the bow, set your brace height much higher than normal. Those two actions will reduce the number of times you have to adjust your string.
Some people just like stepping on rakes

Post by newbie »

your 350 has a much higher draw weight then your pheonix did. string creep will be more noticeable for sure.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

The factory D97 strings seem to constantly stretch, but by now should be very seldom in need of adjustment. I set mine @ 1", and don't mess with it unless it gets bellow 3/4" and see no change in speed or POI. The 1/4 travel seems to be negated by less peak drawweight??? Whatever it is this will not affect the way your bow shoots. I have heard a few setting 1" and letting get as low as 5/8" and say they see no difference in POI or speed.

Get a flemish string, in one if these materials if you want minimal to no stretch when settled in, 30 strand Force-10 or a 36 strand FF+, or a 40 strand 8190. Mine come from Vixenmaster, I believe Boo offers some of these materials also, not sure about the other flemish twisters but you could check with any. I believe you would be done adjusting by now, er I am after a couple times, they will cost more than a D97 string, but the old saying you get what you pay for applies! I use D97 strings because they are so inexpensive and do a fine job, they just require more maintenance to keep in tune.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

Thanks for all the quick and informative feedback fellas. I'll be doing quite a bit of shooting over the next couple months to get the string settled in for hunting season :)
Normous

Post by Normous »

I suggest purchasing a back up string to have on hand during the hunting season just in case.

Shoot to stretch your back up string during the off season and use a paper clip to attach the ends together for storage. This way your back up string can be installed at the same brace height as when you removed it and you are ready to go.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you go to my website, you'll see a design for a simple jig that will hold your string tight for serving purposes. That jig can also be used to elongate your string.
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

Thanks boo will check out your website
Normous thanks for the info. Coincidentally I just picked up a spare string. Now Would you recommend putting that backup string on at some point and stretching it out or just leave it in the package till u need it?
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

On the " bright side"..... After the factory string is broken in and through stretching, you will be very good at adjusting brace height and reserving strings! Just part of our continuing education. :D
Boo

Post by Boo »

I would break it in on the jig before using it.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Wax in the string is primarily what causes creep not necessarily the string material. The difference between Force 10 and D97 is minimal.....per BCY. They introduced F10 as a crossbow material hoping for less creep but it didn't happen...again per BCY. A properly made and pre stretched D97 string will settle in very quickly and be stable. All of mine are stable and that is all I have on my bows. Strand count will help some too but remember.... each material is a different diameter so the strand counts need to vary to keep the overall string diameter proper so it hits the nock in the center. Yes, you can go thicker but there is a limit.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Good advice given ! As stated, Buy 2 strings before the season and work on getting the creep out of them . Boo's stretcher is simple to build and cheap , Type of string material is a personal choice, Each has its own qualities .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Always have a backup string. My brother accidentally busted his string with a broadhead and had no backup. Luckily I had one and we continued hunting. Now I have a backup for my backup. Also dont forget to pack your stringer. I did, and now I have a backup stringer in my pack. You can make a spare stringer out of stout cord and a couple of bowline knots. Works so well that I dont use the plastic(?) Excal stringers because they are noisy to use in the woods. Thanks for the tip, Vixenmaster :D Happy shootin.
Hank