Hoisting a crossbow up to a treestand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Hoisting a crossbow up to a treestand

Post by Boo »

jd4223 wrote:I tried to cock my bow while in my stand but found it too hard to do.
A Dr Stirrup stirrup will make it easy to cock the bow sitting down.

https://www.drstirrup.com/en-CA/drstirrup
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I kind of like idea now of having the stirrup hit ground vrs my stock ....i do cover my scope with bicycle tire tube cut like rubberband ..That has saved my scope for longtime from damage hitting ground...

my problem is i have to wear grip gloves as rope burns my hand or is slippery just another thing i hate to do from my stand but going to bigger dia rope i do not like also...Alot of guns are damaged because of our small dia ropes lowering guns to ground and slipping out of your hand..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Boo wrote:
jd4223 wrote:I tried to cock my bow while in my stand but found it too hard to do.
A Dr Stirrup stirrup will make it easy to cock the bow sitting down.

https://www.drstirrup.com/en-CA/drstirrup
Boo i can cock my bow micro 335 in my summit and uncock easy ..When i let it too ground uncocking is easy from summit...i put stirrup between the floor braces not on them...
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

My ladder stands have 2 pull ropes, one for my pack & one for my weapon. I also use a lifeline with a Pursik knot loop and I am always secured anytime I am off the ground. I had to learn the hard way that it is NOT IF BUT WHEN you will fall as I fell from a 16' stand. I cock my Equinox before I climb up and un-cock from the stand or on the ground. I got in a hurry once while un-cocking in the stand & I forgot to remove the arrow. Lucky for me my son was near and he climbed up and removed the arrow while I held the cocking rope tight. Now I try and go through a step by step process each & every time. Good luck to everyone this coming season & stay safe.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

longbow joe wrote:Thanks guys for all the ideas...longbow joes a whimp rarely goes beond the lofty 15 foot mark lol maby 18 on a brave day i love climbing a tree with one right next door to hang my bow feels more secure too.
Joe, I just purchased a Drone from Olman Treestands, I like to climb high, and find hunting new spots offer a very high success rate, especially on Public Land. Harness up on the ground, learn the stand, get a leveling feature if you can find one, and there is nothing safer, or more comfortable in my opinion. I might let one go this fall from my stable.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

I also have 2 ropes. One for my pack and one for my bow. I hunt platform stands with climbing sticks. I cock my crossbow on the ground and use the stirrup for attaching to the rope. I make sure the bow is not touching the ground before I go up the ladder. This makes sure it is quiet pulling the crossbow up to my stand.
Micro 335 - Vixenmaster String, Diablo, Slick Trick 150
M380 - Hawke XB30 Pro, Vixenmaster String, Quill, VPA 150 / FOC
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I leave a length of Paracord attached to my tree stand with a snap hook attached to the other end, and simply attach snap hook to my stirrup. Never had an issue with lowering it to the ground stock first.

I also always use gloves to try and keep the scent off the Paracord since my cord stays there the whole hunting season, and Paracord does not rot in the rain and sun.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Eck

Post by Eck »

xcaliber wrote:I use Climbers mostly. I have a few with leveling features, and just picked up a Drone from Olman Treestands. I use two different rope setups, and here is why. I use a 50' rope doubled over with a hitch knot in one end. I like to hunt at 25' up, and when i feel the tug of my bow / gun / crossbow, I know I'm up there. I tie it to my foot climber, and through the thumb hole since my Xbows all have that feature, and my Optima CVA does as well. My Hoyt / PSE verticals I go around the top cams.My other rope is the Third Hand Archery 30' Kentucky Rope, i attach that to my belt loop, and the big loop on the opposite end just like their instructions. Works pretty good for me. 8)
Dan always finds the best gear - I don't know how he does it!
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

I have found in all the permanent stands is I make a loop knot and I run it between the stirrup and then loop it over the stirrup. I also cock before going in stand. Once it gets close you just grab the stirrup. The length of my rope I make never touches the ground , the bow stirrup is about the middle of my chest. The best way when lowering the bow tie off about three feet from stock to the ground. As far as climbing stands check out Thirdhand Archery site. He a bow clamp that attaches to your stand and your crossbow will fit in and you will not need a pull up rope, but I always have a rope in my bag just for safe keeping. If any of the Pa guys go to the Sullivan County Bow fest in September you can see him demonstrate the use of this bracket.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
Eck

Post by Eck »

The Third Hand Archery equipment looks well thought out.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Eck wrote:
xcaliber wrote:I use Climbers mostly. I have a few with leveling features, and just picked up a Drone from Olman Treestands. I use two different rope setups, and here is why. I use a 50' rope doubled over with a hitch knot in one end. I like to hunt at 25' up, and when i feel the tug of my bow / gun / crossbow, I know I'm up there. I tie it to my foot climber, and through the thumb hole since my Xbows all have that feature, and my Optima CVA does as well. My Hoyt / PSE verticals I go around the top cams.My other rope is the Third Hand Archery 30' Kentucky Rope, i attach that to my belt loop, and the big loop on the opposite end just like their instructions. Works pretty good for me. 8)
Thanks, I think! :lol: The Drone is the 2nd best climber I have ever used behind the Tree Lounge, both of which are heavy. Third Hand is fantastic stuff made for hunter's by hunter's. Their safety straps are a must have on all my climbers. I'll post some pictures when i get back next week! If anyone is interested in getting a Drone for a great price, Ebay has them shipped for free in the lower 48 for $249.99, these were $400 retail two years ago, and always out of stock.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Phillyarcher wrote:I have found in all the permanent stands is I make a loop knot and I run it between the stirrup and then loop it over the stirrup. I also cock before going in stand. Once it gets close you just grab the stirrup. The length of my rope I make never touches the ground , the bow stirrup is about the middle of my chest. The best way when lowering the bow tie off about three feet from stock to the ground. As far as climbing stands check out Thirdhand Archery site. He a bow clamp that attaches to your stand and your crossbow will fit in and you will not need a pull up rope, but I always have a rope in my bag just for safe keeping. If any of the Pa guys go to the Sullivan County Bow fest in September you can see him demonstrate the use of this bracket.
Here is the Third Hand Universal Bow Holder on one of my climbers holding the Matrix 330, i like that product a lot, but have not climbed with the bow in it yet, scared I guess. :shock:

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... x.jpg.html]Image
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Wow exie ....you bought it third hand cant be that good........lol just kiddin good idea looks cool
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

xcaliber wrote:
Eck wrote:
Thanks, I think! :lol: The Drone is the 2nd best climber I have ever used behind the Tree Lounge, both of which are heavy. Third Hand is fantastic stuff made for hunter's by hunter's. Their safety straps are a must have on all my climbers. I'll post some pictures when i get back next week! If anyone is interested in getting a Drone for a great price, Ebay has them shipped for free in the lower 48 for $249.99, these were $400 retail two years ago, and always out of stock.

Never heard of Drone climber but tree lounge oh boy ..Summit is only stand that gets on tree with me for many reasons...You guys know your crossbows I know climbers..
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I know my climbers, if you tried one of mine, that Summit would be at the flea market. :lol:
Just kidding. I hunt high, not on drugs, High up. Leveling stands are the Bomb.