brace hieght and string change

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FORVOLS

brace hieght and string change

Post by FORVOLS »

I just pulled my Matrix 355 out of the case been there about a month the stock string was 1/8"buried in the stock bumpers. Thought oh no big deal good time to put on the EXCAL custom string I ordered. Now I have never put on a new string, but I have the stringing aid and cocking aid. What and adventure it was. Watched the excal video for using the stringing aid, says you may need to adjust it. Dang skippy I did and once adjusted I had to use the cocking aid to get the relief I needed for the stringing aid to swap out the strings. Also my excal custom string needed about 25-30 twists to get the right brace height.

Anyway just a newbi post for other newbi that's are trying to change out a string or adjust brace height. . Shorten up that stringing aid and use your cocking aid ...set the safety and keep your meaty parts out of the triangle of pain.
MATRIX 355
HAWKE XB1
Trigger Tech Trigger
20in BEE
Various broadheads
Quick, accurate, simple
hunter with MS

Re: brace hieght and string change

Post by hunter with MS »

First do you have the stringing aid you will need that . Second do you have the manual it will show you how to do it and it will have the brace height in it .
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

25 to 30 twists? That seems a little unusual to say the least.
Facing the crossbow limb did you make sure you turned it counter clockwise.
(twist to your left when twisting)
Did the string somehow come untwisted from the time you got it until you installed it?
I have never had to add that many twists to any string stock or custom.

On another note, be sure to keep an eye on your brace height as new strings will sometimes stretch a bit at first. Also check your bumpers to make sure they are not damaged. Any exposed metal in the bumpers could cause string damage resulting in damage to your crossbow or injury to yourself.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
FORVOLS

Post by FORVOLS »

Yes I do have the stringing aid and used it.

Now that it is mentioned -- no the string was not twisted when I installed it. Probably why I needed so many twist. Yes I twisted it CCW. Set BH right at the mark on the rail (that's about 1/4" off the bumper). Now string has settled to just barely touching the bumpers. So will add a few more twist to get it back to the BH mark on the rail. And bumpers are not damaged.
MATRIX 355
HAWKE XB1
Trigger Tech Trigger
20in BEE
Various broadheads
Quick, accurate, simple
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I try to keep the twist in my strings after I receive them. My little string case has a couple foam pads that I put the strings between so they can't move around or get untwisted. I'm not a string maker so I don't know everything, but I think I heard someplace that allowing a string to untwist can cause the center serving to become loose? I'm sure one of the string makers will correct me if I'm wrong.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup: