Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Karl

Re: Do you guys wear Camo?

Post by Karl »

Thanks for the replies folks. And insight into others sleeping habits :lol:
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Rather-B-Huntin wrote:Camo clothing? Yes! Pattern depends on time of year and terrain.

But most important is disguising your scent. I've stood within 10 yards of deer wearing jeans and flannel shirt, with the wind in my favor, and they looked right at me and continued to feed. Fool their nose and fooling the rest of their senses becomes easier.
Yep same here.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
janesy

Post by janesy »

It's actually kind of hard to buy hunting clothes these days, as the technologies in the clothes has gone crazy. But they are also only available in camo, or bright fancy colour. So now you can have an ultra thin layer that wicks, breathes, and sheds water all the same time, but the big camo companies have basically licensed there way to the top. So you get it in camo
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Wear Camo? Every Single Chance I Get!! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Camo patterns only go so far. I use ghille type suits like Leafy Wear to add a 3D dimension and it works great. My list

1. Take care of your smell. Sprays alone are not enough. Wash yourself and your clothes with scent free detergent/soap

2 play the wind. Cover scents and scent free stuff only go so far....and you are trying to get close

3. Sit very still

4. Camo
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
galamb

Post by galamb »

I own a ton of camo clothes because they "look cool" - do they help in the woods? I believe less and less that there is any advantage to wearing camo which almost never matches the surroundings.

Now my hunting clothing is pretty much exclusively sourced from Columbia Sports - the thermal reflective stuff for when it's cold, the sweat soaking stuff when it's warm etc - comfort for me is more important than looking like a glossy ad in a Monster Buck magazine.

Now before someone jumps in about concealment just think about the animals we hunt.

After thousands (or maybe tens of thousands) of years of evolution - deer, moose and elk are mostly brown, with maybe a white belly and some black thrown in at the extremities.

If camo was necessary for concealment don't you think the deer family, which is preyed upon by bears and wolves would have evolved into cam pattern hides??

Just saying...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Good point Graham.....HAHAHA

I read somewhere that if you look at a picture of "the woods" in greyscale that it comes out to 50% on average. Figures right? Wanna guess what a whitetailed deer looks like on greyscale? YUP....50%.

And they are blessed with the ability to stand absolutely motionless for extended periods of time. And our human eyes - which can only focus on 1 small thing at a time have a hard time with that. That's how they do that "appearing out of nowhere - standing there looking at you at 30yds" thing.

Still, I think a camo-hide buck would look really really cool....and probably get all the popular does...

:D
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I generally wear a camo shirt and on rare occasions a camo cap, but that's it. I wear the same Wrangler blue jeans and work boots I wear every day.
Mmiller385

Post by Mmiller385 »

The ole camo debate. Fred Bear never wore camo except maybe for an old camo jacket and khaki pants and he could creep up to critters and gigem with a recurve. Save your money and hunt the wind!!!
Bowtech tribute
Micro 335
kman35ca

Post by kman35ca »

I wear Camo. Well I'm new to crossbow hunting but have been hunting with a rifle for a while. I have had lots of close encounters with deer. Almost had a giant muley buck trample me while scouting. Most Camo has been basic stuff more for comfort and durability though. But this year I bought that ATACS 3D suit. And while out scouting I spooked a buck out of some bush at about 20 yards. He ran another 20 yards. Then stopped to look back. I was wearing the upper half of the ATACS and my timberline pants. I froze sainted my eyes and I could tell he could not see me. He ran a circle above me to try to scent me. Due to early morning thermals he couldn't get my scent. But this is new to me. Usually they would run that 20 yards, stop, stare at you then take off. I could tell he had no clue where I was this time even from 40 yards and with a bunch of brush behind me. Not saying Camo is everything, but it helps. Scent control, and playing the wind is the big thing. Especially understanding thermals. And what not.
Matrix 380
Pretty stock, for now.....
First crossbow
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....I put everything through one of those commercial ozone whatevers....I also then do the inside of my car....then I light up my cigar on my way out, stop for some of that Hazelnut smelling coffee and I'm scentless when I get in :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Anthony you forgot the Cannoli icing :mrgreen:
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Hunt it wrote:Anthony you forgot the Cannoli icing :mrgreen:

.....shhhhh, what do you think brings the deer in? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Bears love it too :shock: and as long as it's on the front of your camo I don't think it's considered baiting 8)
kman35ca

Post by kman35ca »

amythntr wrote:.....I put everything through one of those commercial ozone whatevers....I also then do the inside of my car....then I light up my cigar on my way out, stop for some of that Hazelnut smelling coffee and I'm scentless when I get in :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yeah I got an ozone machine too. Just a lil guy, but I'm looking at getting that ozonics. Need it to deal with the messed up wind currents where I hunt. Still play the wind, but only cover and trees I got are in ravines and coulees. Wind changes by the 1/2 HR sometimes. Took a smoke bomb out to one site I thought would be perfect and the eddies had that smoke going every where....Ah I'm used to 300 yard rifle shots. This is going to be a learning curve.
Matrix 380
Pretty stock, for now.....
First crossbow