Do you guys wear Camo?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: Do you guys wear Camo?

Post by nchunterkw »

kman35ca wrote:
amythntr wrote:.....I put everything through one of those commercial ozone whatevers....I also then do the inside of my car....then I light up my cigar on my way out, stop for some of that Hazelnut smelling coffee and I'm scentless when I get in :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anthony :)
Yeah I got an ozone machine too. Just a lil guy, but I'm looking at getting that ozonics. Need it to deal with the messed up wind currents where I hunt. Still play the wind, but only cover and trees I got are in ravines and coulees. Wind changes by the 1/2 HR sometimes. Took a smoke bomb out to one site I thought would be perfect and the eddies had that smoke going every where....Ah I'm used to 300 yard rifle shots. This is going to be a learning curve.
Go with some sort of 3D camo and maybe a flat fold up decoy. I once shot a big buck while wearing my Leafy wear suit and "hiding" behind 2 tall weeds in a cut field. He was 25 yds and focused on "her". She was 20 yds behind me. AT the shot he ran 20 yds to the edge of the woods, stood there for about 20 secs then fell over.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Yes, but if you hunt from a high enough stand it doesn't matter too much. Two seasons ago I killed a doe while out hanging a stand. I took a gun just because the early doe season was in. I was wearing blue jeans and sneakers and an very sweaty neon green shirt along with the necessary orange hat. The doe had no idea I was there and apparently the wind was in my favor because I was a sweaty mess by the time I got the stand hung in 90F degree heat.

When hunting from the ground, camo helps about as much as being still and quiet.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

DuckHunt wrote:Yes, but if you hunt from a high enough stand it doesn't matter too much. Two seasons ago I killed a doe while out hanging a stand. I took a gun just because the early doe season was in. I was wearing blue jeans and sneakers and an very sweaty neon green shirt along with the necessary orange hat. The doe had no idea I was there and apparently the wind was in my favor because I was a sweaty mess by the time I got the stand hung in 90F degree heat.

When hunting from the ground, camo helps about as much as being still and quiet.

DuckHunt
To each his own....I just know that when I started using 3D stuff my close encounters got routine. And not with yearling bucks or does. With the big guys. Yes you can kill deer without doing anything special, but "camo" has been around for a very long time, and used by people who killed deer or died of starvation.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Steve x

Post by Steve x »

My theory is don't move and don't stink . That's my camo .i do wear camo at times
50 yrs ago there wasn't much camo to be had
kman35ca

Post by kman35ca »

nchunterkw wrote:
kman35ca wrote:
amythntr wrote:.....I put everything through one of those commercial ozone whatevers....I also then do the inside of my car....then I light up my cigar on my way out, stop for some of that Hazelnut smelling coffee and I'm scentless when I get in :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anthony :)
Yeah I got an ozone machine too. Just a lil guy, but I'm looking at getting that ozonics. Need it to deal with the messed up wind currents where I hunt. Still play the wind, but only cover and trees I got are in ravines and coulees. Wind changes by the 1/2 HR sometimes. Took a smoke bomb out to one site I thought would be perfect and the eddies had that smoke going every where....Ah I'm used to 300 yard rifle shots. This is going to be a learning curve.
Go with some sort of 3D camo and maybe a flat fold up decoy. I once shot a big buck while wearing my Leafy wear suit and "hiding" behind 2 tall weeds in a cut field. He was 25 yds and focused on "her". She was 20 yds behind me. AT the shot he ran 20 yds to the edge of the woods, stood there for about 20 secs then fell over.
Ya I already got an ATACS leafy suit. Looks like time to buy a decoy.
Matrix 380
Pretty stock, for now.....
First crossbow
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

nchunterkw wrote:
DuckHunt wrote:Yes, but if you hunt from a high enough stand it doesn't matter too much. Two seasons ago I killed a doe while out hanging a stand. I took a gun just because the early doe season was in. I was wearing blue jeans and sneakers and an very sweaty neon green shirt along with the necessary orange hat. The doe had no idea I was there and apparently the wind was in my favor because I was a sweaty mess by the time I got the stand hung in 90F degree heat.

DuckHunt
To each his own....I just know that when I started using 3D stuff my close encounters got routine. And not with yearling bucks or does. With the big guys. Yes you can kill deer without doing anything special, but "camo" has been around for a very long time, and used by people who killed deer or died of starvation.
I agree with Keith on this. My close encounters have tripled since I purchased my gillie suit . I am too high strung to sit still for long periods so I walk and stalk.
Happy hiding, :D
Hank
kman35ca

Post by kman35ca »

hankenhunter wrote:
nchunterkw wrote:

DuckHunt
I agree with Keith on this. My close encounters have tripled since I purchased my gillie suit . I am too high strung to sit still for long periods so I walk and stalk.
Happy hiding, :D
Hank
Is a real Guilli suit a big upgrade on an ASAT leafy suit? What would be a good brand to buy?
Matrix 380
First crossbow
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I have both types. My "Real" one is from Gander Mtn. Cost $80 I think and is real stringy etc. It works good in early season when things are still leafed out quite a bit, or if I can sit by cedar trees. Then I have a "Leafy Wear" suit that I think does better in winter when there are not many leaves left on the trees. It helps to blend into a blow down or dead limbs. If you can only do one, do a leafy suit. Something that looks like Cabela's Ghil Leaf...but IMO you need a full face hood or face mask. I prefer a hood as it helps break up the outline more.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

was going thru trail cam pics during muzzle season a coupla years back when i came across a blank pic. studied it for awhile & then i noticed 2 legs. followed them up to see me walking out of my stand. was wearing olive green wool pants & a cabela's blaze orange parka with black branches in a real tree pattern. if deer see anything like a trail cam night shot then he blaze camo works better than a neutral solid color.
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
kman35ca

Post by kman35ca »

nchunterkw wrote:I have both types. My "Real" one is from Gander Mtn. Cost $80 I think and is real stringy etc. It works good in early season when things are still leafed out quite a bit, or if I can sit by cedar trees. Then I have a "Leafy Wear" suit that I think does better in winter when there are not many leaves left on the trees. It helps to blend into a blow down or dead limbs. If you can only do one, do a leafy suit. Something that looks like Cabela's Ghil Leaf...but IMO you need a full face hood or face mask. I prefer a hood as it helps break up the outline more.

Ya I already have an "ASAT" 3D leafy suit. Not ATACS, lol. And up here I can't hunt the early season cause the Compound guys still think Crossbows are for poachers. Like to see them pull there bow back with a shoulder as mucked up as mine. But hey, thanks for the tips. It's a lot of open country where I hunt, so I might be hiding behind a 3 foot chunk of sage. :D
Matrix 380
First crossbow
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

kman35ca wrote:
nchunterkw wrote:I have both types. My "Real" one is from Gander Mtn. Cost $80 I think and is real stringy etc. It works good in early season when things are still leafed out quite a bit, or if I can sit by cedar trees. Then I have a "Leafy Wear" suit that I think does better in winter when there are not many leaves left on the trees. It helps to blend into a blow down or dead limbs. If you can only do one, do a leafy suit. Something that looks like Cabela's Ghil Leaf...but IMO you need a full face hood or face mask. I prefer a hood as it helps break up the outline more.

Ya I already have an "ASAT" 3D leafy suit. Not ATACS, lol. And up here I can't hunt the early season cause the Compound guys still think Crossbows are for poachers. Like to see them pull there bow back with a shoulder as mucked up as mine. But hey, thanks for the tips. It's a lot of open country where I hunt, so I might be hiding behind a 3 foot chunk of sage. :D
Check out the Ghostblind......I think that would be the shizzz if I lived in Ohio still. Could sit right out in corn or bean field.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Camo yes, you gotta wear something right? Won't buy it unless it's waterproof, windproof and breathable. Like others have said, hunt the wind and be mindful of your movement...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

Not really hunting related but I sometimes tell the story of my first visit to the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, PA. I went during the week, middle of the day....the place was packed, with lots of school-age kids and their parents, and I had to be the only person NOT wearing camo........