Some basic questions for the experts on here

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bcfirefly

Some basic questions for the experts on here

Post by Bcfirefly »

So I got into Crossbows last fall and have been shooting my Matrix 355 at least 4 times a week for the past six months. Trying to up my game here prior to hunting season but doing it solo or by researching youtube. Now into things I have a few questions that hopefully I can get some guidance on;

1) I just replaced my limbs and string (thanks Excal!!) and over the weekend first time out I noticed what I think to be a cosmetic de-lamination of the realtree pattern at the mag tip. Guessing just monitor it and see if it turns out to be more or should I be concerned.
2) when out this past weekend I would consistently have a flier land about 6-8" low at 35 yards. the rest of the bolts would group well enough for my level. I checked to see if it was the same arrow but it was a different one and it was usually the 2 or 3rd shot that would be off. Retested at 20, all on target. Now I am using the stock bolts as I am just primarily after time behind the trigger and saving the 'good stuff' for hunting season. I checked over the scope and mounts. Is this me, the bow, the scope or arrow? any thoughts?
3) How are folks maximizing their time at the range? I basically shoot 4 arrows (the stock ones) then downrange to collect. Are people shooting big batches of arrows? My background is shooting so basically you shoot till you're out of ammo!
URL=http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/bcfir ... d.jpg.html
URL=http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/bcfir ... j.jpg.html
trying to post a pic but unsure if its working...
Thanks for your time.
Last edited by Bcfirefly on Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
janesy

Re: Some basic questions for the experts on here

Post by janesy »

I'm no expert, but have reloaded for years.

first assume it's the optics. Is everything tight? Nothing right down to the hidden trigger screws are loose at all?

Second assume it's you. Are you shooting from a bench to remove as much human interaction as possible?

Optics and user aside...
Try to isolate and re produce the problem, it is possible to have more than one bad arrow. Shoot them one at a time at a different spot on the target using the same vane as a cock vane on each arrow. Continue shooting each arrow rotating the arrow until you find you can pin point the arrow that giving you grief. If you find one, cull it. Then continue shooting the rest as you rotate them through the cock vanes

I'm sure some real Excalibur experts will chime in shortly with some specific instructions
Last edited by janesy on Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I am only guessing if you say it is not the same arrow causing the problems . Make sure the arrow is right up against the string . Even a small slapping can cause head scratching problems . :lol:
Group looks decent apart from the flier .
That chip on your limb tip is paint chip . Before getting the camo coat they get painted .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Ok i will try to add jus abit to the info. Make sure the trigger assembly screws inside are tight, then make sure the stock screws are tight. Then scope mount n ring screws. If'en all be good you take one arrow put a marker dot on it. Put the marked dot vane down into the arrow slot n shoot, see if'en it hits yer aim spot. If'en not double dot the next vane n try it n then 3 dots. Yoy will end up goin thru every arrow to get all of those that group well in yer shootin pile. The others can be refletched if'en they are not bent bowed split or cracked
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Bcfirefly wrote:So I got into Crossbows last fall and have been shooting my Matrix 355 at least 4 times a week for the past six months. Trying to up my game here prior to hunting season but doing it solo or by researching youtube. Now into things I have a few questions that hopefully I can get some guidance on;

1) I just replaced my limbs and string (thanks Excal!!) and over the weekend first time out I noticed what I think to be a cosmetic de-lamination of the realtree pattern at the mag tip. Guessing just monitor it and see if it turns out to be more or should I be concerned.
2) when out this past weekend I would consistently have a flier land about 6-8" low at 35 yards. the rest of the bolts would group well enough for my level. I checked to see if it was the same arrow but it was a different one and it was usually the 2 or 3rd shot that would be off. Retested at 20, all on target. Now I am using the stock bolts as I am just primarily after time behind the trigger and saving the 'good stuff' for hunting season. I checked over the scope and mounts. Is this me, the bow, the scope or arrow? any thoughts?
3) How are folks maximizing their time at the range? I basically shoot 4 arrows (the stock ones) then downrange to collect. Are people shooting big batches of arrows? My background is shooting so basically you shoot till you're out of ammo!
[URL=http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/bcfir ... d.jpg.html][IMG]
[URL=http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/bcfir ... j.jpg.html][IMG]
trying to post a pic but unsure if its working...
Thanks for your time.
If you delete the [IMG] (including the brackets on each side) at the end of each code your pictures will post. :D
Hank
Normous

Post by Normous »

I might add that you could check all your rear nocks for potential damage which could cause bad flight characteristics.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
SEW

Post by SEW »

vixenmaster wrote:Ok i will try to add jus abit to the info. Make sure the trigger assembly screws inside are tight, then make sure the stock screws are tight. Then scope mount n ring screws. If'en all be good you take one arrow put a marker dot on it. Put the marked dot vane down into the arrow slot n shoot, see if'en it hits yer aim spot. If'en not double dot the next vane n try it n then 3 dots. Yoy will end up goin thru every arrow to get all of those that group well in yer shootin pile. The others can be refletched if'en they are not bent bowed split or cracked
The voice of experience.

My most frustrating problems have been with the trigger/scope assembly bolts getting loose. You can check by seeing if you can get the scope (and attached rail) to have any vertical movement.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I think each of us state a problem that has happened to us . :?
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Oh, by the way, when you get new arrows, use some acetone on a rag to get the graphics off your arrows. If you dont do this you will probably be standing on your target trying to get the arrows out. Trust me on this. :lol:
Hank
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

AS Vixenmaster said check your arrow that flew bad.mark the vane turn it mark again.if it hits with vane use that mark..

i had custom arrows made if you did not use cock vane you would get arrows that did like you said..
Bcfirefly

Post by Bcfirefly »

thanks for all the replies.
I will check the screws on the trigger, already went thru all the rest lol
like I said these are the stock arrows so they are getting beat up pretty good but found it odd for 1 out of 4 to always be a flier and always 6-8" low and no sign of this drop at 20 yrds.
will go over the rig tonight in detail
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

All of the advice is spot on, and has been a part of most, if not all of our setup trials, and tribulations. As a method used to get to route cause issues in many manufacturing products I have been part of, it is very important to eliminate one issue at a time as suspect. Trying to chase down many issues at once leads to confusion often times when results are suddenly better, or worse. At the end however, you will have a very good knowledge of the bow, and components holding it together, arrow build quality knowledge, and you should also become one with the trigger! :wink:
Make it fun, and it will be! :D
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Doe Master wrote:I Make sure the arrow is right up against the string
This is what I'm betting on.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I'm thinking you might have a couple screws loose. :mrgreen:

I always use blue loctite on the trigger housing screws as well as most screws associated with the scope.
The last time I had a problem with an occasional flier I found out that the screws were loose on my trigger housing ;)

As far as the cosmetic problem....
If it is what looks like a crack around the tips.. it is purely cosmetic :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Tom

Post by Tom »

I have 2 suggestions, 1 has already been stated ...... make sure your arrow is seated properly against the string, the other is ...... could you be canting the bow a little.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]