New to crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Swamp man

New to crossbows

Post by Swamp man »

This is swamp man new to crossbows 53 years old my old compound bow is getting to hard to shoot want to buy a excailber think that are best choice for me thinking on the matrix going to share this bow with my dad he is 80 but in good shape I would like some advice on my choice 380 ??
Swamp man

Re: New to crossbows

Post by Swamp man »

Not to computer smart but I give it a try
I live in central PE and love to hunt
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Welcome ! 380 is as good as can be had !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Bcwn

Post by Bcwn »

Any bow excal makes is superior in quality, and customer service compared the the other brands IMHO.

The 380 is a great bow, but I would for sure put your hands on the 400 as well before pulling the trigger so to speak.

Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones
Swamp man

Post by Swamp man »

I never shot a crossbow are that hard to cock think a 80 year old would have problem I want my dad to hunt with it to what is the recommended target to practice with
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

80 yr old rope cockin an Excal depends on the model n jus how strong he really is. Hedge yer bet wid a C2 crank on the newer models
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Swamp man

Post by Swamp man »

I never shot a crossbow are that hard to cock think a 80 year old would have problem I want my dad to hunt with it to what is the recommended target to practice with
Thanks is amàzon a OK place to get one no one around heear sells them
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Welcome aboard Swamp Man....

If this is your first crossbow and unfamiliar with Excalibur's, I would buy from either Danny Miller at Horizontal Archery or David at Wyvern Creations... Both are top notch Excalibur dealers and will guide on the right path for a new crossbow... But no matter where you buy from, make sure you get a "stringer" so that you can adjust the brace height on your bow... It is sometimes an over looked item that is omitted on a first time buy unless buying from an experienced dealer... The stringer is very important for maintaining your brace height and very inexpensive.... Think of it as a bow press for your recurve...

Good luck and if there are any questions, fire away as this the the right place to come to for advice on "all Excalibur"... :)
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
janesy

Post by janesy »

Matrix 355, cock it all day long.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Swamp man

Post by Swamp man »

Thanks I am still thinking on what one to get are the scopes that come with them good
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I am with Janesy .
My 77 year old dad found the 380 a grunt and he has been shooting the crossbows for a while . We all think we are strong . But cocking a bow uses at times some muscles that don`t get used a lot . :shock:
I would recommend the Matrix 355 or even the 330 .
Whoever you buy from get the stringer . The string will stretch until settled in .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
janesy

Post by janesy »

Yep, my friend I often shoot with is eyeballing my 355 Everytime he cocks his 380 . He'll be 61 in October. He works hard every day, it's not that he can't cock the 380, he is just starting to see that he doesnt have to.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Excellent choice!! The 380 is my favorite bow,,, I own 2 of them, one in AP Snow camo, and one in Max 1 camo,,, but I also own a 350 Matrix and either one are the top of the Matrix line in my opinion! Welcome to Excalibur forums, don't be worried about dropping down to a 350 if ya need fer comfortable cocking, it has all the power you need and is noticeably easier to cock.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

janesy wrote:Yep, my friend I often shoot with is eyeballing my 355 Everytime he cocks his 380 . He'll be 61 in October. He works hard every day, it's not that he can't cock the 380, he is just starting to see that he doesnt have to.
Well said. The lighter bows will get the job done with less wear and tear on the bow & our backs. My Micro 315 is sure going through the paces lately...lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.