Nap 150 grain Crossbow bh

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

excalxbowner

Nap 150 grain Crossbow bh

Post by excalxbowner »

Anybody know if you can buy a NAP crossbow bh heavier than 125 grains?
Matrix 355
Diablo bolts
150 grain Slick Tricks
Boltcutter BH
SEW

Re: Nap 150 grain Crossbow bh

Post by SEW »

FOCs are an overgrown 170g, 3", 2-blade Spitfire. A # of us really like them. Since they have aerodynamics very close to field points, they work quite well with standard 26-30g AL inserts. To slightly increase the foc , the 20g insert weight can be added to increase the insert weight to about 50gs. This gives a total point weight of about 216-220g.
The performance of the FOC is very impressive to me.
Last edited by SEW on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Normous

Post by Normous »

The NAP 170 gr. FOC will lead my arrows again this 2016 bear and deer season. I really like this BH too.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Why not move up to any of the premium arrows . Executioner or zombie or taps and go to a brass insert then you can ues any broadhead you choose without worry and you will have awsome foc . I chose a 110 brass insert zombie with a nap 125 grain spitfire out of my matrix bows its proven to be perfect for me and best of all i have been getting exact field point accuracy. I believe a.300 brass insert will fit your excalibur arrows if you like them and dont want to change . I got 50 . 82. And 110 grains from south shore archery when i was experimenting last year the heavier 110s worked best for me.if yout gonna use the foc i wouldnt think you would need any extra weight .there a great head just giving you options
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
excalxbowner

Post by excalxbowner »

thanks guys. I'm gonna use up my stock Diablo arrows and then get some premium ones made. just wanted to try an expandable bh that's the same weight as my field points. I tried the Slick Tricks last year and they did not fly well. So,im going to keep it simple and get some Boltcutters or expandable bh this year. As always,thanks for the feedback. this site is money!!! :D
Matrix 355
Diablo bolts
150 grain Slick Tricks
Boltcutter BH
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

At one time NAP made a 170 gr. crossbow Spitfire Magnum broadhead. Not sure if they still do.. Colton's Micro shoots 170 gr. FOC's at turkeys and the 170 gr. Spitfires at deer and pigs. I was leery that the Micro might not get the penetration I wanted with the FOC's on a pig. With an aluminum insert works real well. :D All 170 gr. Make life EASY!!
SEW

Post by SEW »

I use Zombies. So, I'm there shaft-wise. I agree that with a stiff enough shaft that more FOC doesn't hurt accuracy and helps penetration. However, my technic has been to test all arrow configurations at 80 yds. I want the flattest trajectory possible while not compromising accuracy any. So I use the point I'm going to use, and start raising foc until the groups get as tight as they'll get. I'll test from 26g to 110g inserts. With FOCs no accuracy was gained above the AL inserts but with 55g and above inserts, the trajectory deteriorated significantly after 50 yds or so: just nose heavy. Arrows do plane some: don't perfectly follow the normal gravitational drop. The heavier the foc, the less they plane. For this reason, once the groups no longer tighten with more foc, I stop there.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

SEW wrote:FOCs are an overgrown 170g, 3", 2-blade Spitfire. A # of us really like them. Since they have aerodynamics very close to field points, they work quite well with standard 26-30g AL inserts. To slightly increase the foc , the 20g insert weight can be added to increase the insert weight to about 50gs. This gives a total point weight of about 216-220g.

....So Steve what is your overall arra combination out of your BD400 in terms of your arra length, weight and nock used?

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

This may be why Brian at Borkholder archery made me 18 inch arrows with 110 gr front inserts to use 100 gr points and 395 gr arrow weight for my Micro 335 ..He said FOC is 22% ...You could see difference from the 400 gr quills vrs the gt ballastic arrows at 50 yards ..He also said out to 35 yards his arrows will shoot same spot as the quills but open up at 50 with quills which are 16.5 inchs...
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

excalxbowner wrote:thanks guys. I'm gonna use up my stock Diablo arrows and then get some premium ones made. just wanted to try an expandable bh that's the same weight as my field points. I tried the Slick Tricks last year and they did not fly well. So,im going to keep it simple and get some Boltcutters or expandable bh this year. As always,thanks for the feedback. this site is money!!! :D
in one test on net those BOLTCUTTERS were rated no.1 so was normal spitfire 100 gr thats been around for 25 years ...At stores you can have all new NAP broadheads and where the 25 year old design spitfires are they are sold out..

reason is they are now cheaper than new ones by 10 bucks and most know they work so they do not change..NAP spitfires are going more to the rear deploy blades but i am still not seeing folks buying them that says a lot for old spifires ..

i saw older spitfire on e-bay for 26 dollars tyd and new ones for 40 tyd ..I am not changing the older design flys great.....
excalxbowner

Post by excalxbowner »

Should i expect the point of impact to be different with the boltcutters? How about at 40-50 yards? I'm shooting diablo arrows with the 150 grain field points. Oh, and i have a Matrix 355. thanks
Matrix 355
Diablo bolts
150 grain Slick Tricks
Boltcutter BH
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

I just bought a grain/arrow scale so I could see what I was working with with the
Stock setups on both my Micro and my Mission MXB 360.
The mico quills came in at 400gr and the Mission bolts came in at 450 gr (bolt, shaft, point) and whatever inserts are stock.
I bought a 3 pack of bolt cutters for my micro and I'm going to find some 125 gr broad heads for the Mission. This is what I will hunt with this season.
I'll post my results here if I happen to be lucky enough to poke a hole in a deer.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
Normous

Post by Normous »

excalxbowner wrote:Should i expect the point of impact to be different with the boltcutters? How about at 40-50 yards? I'm shooting diablo arrows with the 150 grain field points. Oh, and i have a Matrix 355. thanks
I suggest testing all broadhead POI's at the ranges that you hunt to determine the impact difference before hunting season.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
bigrak

Post by bigrak »

amythntr wrote:
SEW wrote:FOCs are an overgrown 170g, 3", 2-blade Spitfire. A # of us really like them. Since they have aerodynamics very close to field points, they work quite well with standard 26-30g AL inserts. To slightly increase the foc , the 20g insert weight can be added to increase the insert weight to about 50gs. This gives a total point weight of about 216-220g.

....So Steve what is your overall arra combination out of your BD400 in terms of your arra length, weight and nock used?

Anthony :)
I'm all ears on this one! :wink:
Matrix 405 Mega, Hawke XB30 SR Pro
trigger tech, Dr Stirrup ' Tac Pac
BEE 20" 429gr. NAP spitfires 100gr. Ignitors
BD400 XB30 SR PRO DR. Stirrup.
New 420TD Assassin
SEW

Post by SEW »

The best I've tested is an arrow Boo constructed for me when the vane test was being done. SK300s in offset, AL insert(26g), flat plastic nocks, FOCs , 18" spine indexed Zombies. Helical Blazers were nearly as accurate and hit the same place.
196g total point weight gives plenty of foc for either of these vanes and configurations. The actual weight of the AL inserts is 26g.
I just got some of Jerry's factory fletched Spynal Tapps and put in 50g AL inserts and 170g FOCs -220g point weight. At 70 yds with M380/XB75 I'm keeping appx 1 1/2" gps but didn't have time to test against my custom arrows. My Boo constructed, 300SK arrows grouped right at 1" at 80 yds (as did Jerry's Blazer vaned Zombies) out of the same M380 & M405 but each with Optimizer/ 2-8 Duralyt - which help slightly tighten groups @ longer ranges than the XB75 and other lesser powered, lesser glassed scopes. The 1/2" could easily be the scope difference.
In order to get mt arrow weight up to 410-415gs, I'm considering using the 50g AL inserts verses the 26g AL inserts. Testing will tell.