Rage hypodermics

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Octane

Rage hypodermics

Post by Octane »

Hey all,
This year I'm starting crossbow hunting I bought an Excalibur matrix 350 LE couldn't be more happy with it, a lot of my friends and family are shooting rage broad heads so I picked up a package of the 100 grain rage hypodermic crossbow broad heads they say they are rated for 400fps crossbows and they just looked lethal. I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to properly use the "shock collar" part and it staying locked in. I'm just worried if it gets bumped somehow while hunting how easily it falls back to let the blades deploy. As far as I know I'm putting the back of the blades into the small dimples and maybe I'm just over worrying being the first time even looking them over just curious is all. Thanks
Matrix 350 LE
Diablo bolts w/ lumenocks
Rage hypodermics 100 grains
hunter with MS

Re: Rage hypodermics

Post by hunter with MS »

If I recall go to the Rage web site and it did show you how to put it . Also there should be some sort of directions on the package they came in .
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Try youtube they may have video on it..
Octane

Post by Octane »

Yeah the directions in the packaging were a bit brief to say the least but I'll deffinetly check out the website then YouTube if needed. Thanks
Matrix 350 LE
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Just went to the rage web and found Shock collars on the bottom of that page there is a small video on how to put them on .
Octane

Post by Octane »

After looking into it more online and snugging the blades into the shock collar then attaching it to a bolt it became solid just wish the instructions were more clear in the packaging but all in all still pleased and excited to try out a new product
Matrix 350 LE
Bcwn

Post by Bcwn »

Ive used these same broad heads since they first hit the shelves, I would say that pretty much anything rage makes will do a nice job. Sounds like you've got it figured out, keep in mind the collar has to be backed up to a bolt in order to do its job, snug it up tight and you will be just fine.

Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones
Octane

Post by Octane »

Bcwn wrote:Ive used these same broad heads since they first hit the shelves, I would say that pretty much anything rage makes will do a nice job. Sounds like you've got it figured out, keep in mind the collar has to be backed up to a bolt in order to do its job, snug it up tight and you will be just fine.

Brad

How have the blood trails been for you with them ?
Matrix 350 LE
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Octane wrote:Hey all,
This year I'm starting crossbow hunting I bought an Excalibur matrix 350 LE couldn't be more happy with it, a lot of my friends and family are shooting rage broad heads so I picked up a package of the 100 grain rage hypodermic crossbow broad heads they say they are rated for 400fps crossbows and they just looked lethal. I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to properly use the "shock collar" part and it staying locked in. I'm just worried if it gets bumped somehow while hunting how easily it falls back to let the blades deploy. As far as I know I'm putting the back of the blades into the small dimples and maybe I'm just over worrying being the first time even looking them over just curious is all. Thanks
Octane , I don't mean to be negative , But the Rage heads are prone to open upon release with these high poundage , High shock Excalibur crossbows . I used them for years before I realized what was happening . I used a collar and a dental band and still had them open upon release . Seen it also on several of my friends Excalibur's also . I'm not saying don't try them but do some test and keep an open mind :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

8ptbuk wrote:
Octane wrote:Hey all,
Octane , I don't mean to be negative , But the Rage heads are prone to open upon release with these high poundage , High shock Excalibur crossbows . I used them for years before I realized what was happening . I used a collar and a dental band and still had them open upon release . Seen it also on several of my friends Excalibur's also . I'm not saying don't try them but do some test and keep an open mind :D
Just to follow on a bit....."rated for 400fps" can be a little misleading. Remember that a compound crossbow, like a compound vert bow is cammed. Therefore you draw the bow past the peak energy spot so you can hold a much lower weight. When this type of bow is fired, the initial energy transfer is "low" and then rapidly increases to the peak and then goes down from there. But with your Excalibur, you are holding that string at the absolute maximum energy point, and when the bow is fired, the initial energy transfer to the arrow is MUCH higher than on a cammed bow. This is what can cause premature opening of an expandable BH on a high poundage recurve, even though the BH will shoot just fine from a compound crossbow.

Like Mike above, once I figured this out (of course by learning the hard way), I have switched to fixed heads.

Have fun experimenting!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

I tried rage when they first came out with my compound and did have some problems with them. When I picked up first excal Vortex I was shooting NAP Spitfire 125 grain. Since then I switched to Spitfire Max for Crossbows and now I shoot the Micro 335 and have great success with them and great recoverys. Hope it works out for you.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you're afraid the Rage broadheads will open prematurely, use a dental band or two. Shoot them into a target with a sheet of paper a foot in front of your target to check if they are open during flight.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
equinoxcam1

Post by equinoxcam1 »

In my opinion with rage products (the earlier models anyway)is take them back and get Excalibur bolt cutters..
Equinox
varizone scope
scope mounted camera
excal firebolts
boo string
Bolt cutter
S5
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

In the last 4 seasons , We are 9 for 9 on Mule-Deer & 3 for 3 on White-tail with Rages. And 3 for 3 Mule-
Deer and 2 for 2 White-tail with Swackers.
Bows used were Barnet Ghost 400 , Matrix 355 , 2 Axioms. We have not found a problem with either one yet.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Octane

Post by Octane »

I did pick up the rage crossbow hypodermics the guy at the shop showed me how the shock collar was bigger to help withstand the force compared the the standard compound model, but I do understand that things happen so I'll be sure to try the paper infront of the target and see what happens.
Matrix 350 LE